This topic is locked from further discussion.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I have been getting the Bonk! or the Oops! page when trying to post today. We get spammers who seem to be able to post with ease, yet members are having problems again. :|

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115433 Posts
Bonk effects everyone, including the spam bots. There is no difference between the two when it comes to posting. I'm sure a message has been sent to inform the devs about it. It's the weekend though, so it might take a bit to get it fixed.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="2ndWonder"]Bonk effects everyone, including the spam bots. There is no difference between the two when it comes to posting. I'm sure a message has been sent to inform the devs about it. It's the weekend though, so it might take a bit to get it fixed.

Are people using the beta affected? >_>
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I am affected with it as well.

No, not using the beta.

Posts are made but that stupid page pops up.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="2ndWonder"]Bonk effects everyone, including the spam bots. There is no difference between the two when it comes to posting. I'm sure a message has been sent to inform the devs about it. It's the weekend though, so it might take a bit to get it fixed.The-Apostle
Are people using the beta affected? >_>

Nope, the new forums aren't affected but the old ones are. Gee, I wonder "why..." >_>

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I was about to post this.  Looks like I'm getting Bonk! after every submission today.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Although I have been wondering about it, at this point I am somewhat doubtful that there is a direct connection between issues on the existing site and activity on the beta site, but I surely wouldn't know. The technical staff's focus is clearly on the new site, and that may delay the occasional routine reset here, but that isn't really a surprise. We're told the beta servers are not full production spec, so the beta can be a bit slow, but faster servers should help once they're brought in to the mix. It also looks like the full array of forums haven't been set up yet, so it's not like any one is missing a significant forum party or anything. I haven't checked if the forums that are there are on the same database as these, or if they are just old snapshots of some of these forums. (My unconfirmed impression is that they are old snapshots.) I know they aren't currently mirroring Tech Support, so that's kind of sad. And they don't have emoticons going that I noticed. Anyway, things are still changing, and forum-wise it's definitely not like there's a fully functional super perfect replacement for the interface to these forums - as far as the forums on the beta go, it's mainly a take a look around and see what you think experience. Opinions I'm seeing expressed there vary quite a bit. Although the bonks are certainly annoying (I am *so* looking forward to getting one when I post this), my suggestion would be to reflect on the subtle little technical features of these forums that you may have enjoyed (when they were working), like choices in fonts and font colors, obvious indications of where you've posted in thread lists, the option to turn off the wysiwyg editor (and actually use html), etc. From the look of it, things are going to be fairly different. To another bonk - cheers!

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#8 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
[QUOTE="gmax"]Although I have been wondering about it, at this point I am somewhat doubtful that there is a direct connection between issues on the existing site and activity on the beta site, but I surely wouldn't know. The technical staff's focus is clearly on the new site, and that may delay the occasional routine reset here, but that isn't really a surprise. We're told the beta servers are not full production spec, so the beta can be a bit slow, but faster servers should help once they're brought in to the mix. It also looks like the full array of forums haven't been set up yet, so it's not like any one is missing a significant forum party or anything. I haven't checked if the forums that are there are on the same database as these, or if they are just old snapshots of some of these forums. (My unconfirmed impression is that they are old snapshots.) I know they aren't currently mirroring Tech Support, so that's kind of sad. And they don't have emoticons going that I noticed. Anyway, things are still changing, and forum-wise it's definitely not like there's a fully functional super perfect replacement for the interface to these forums - as far as the forums on the beta go, it's mainly a take a look around and see what you think experience. Opinions I'm seeing expressed there vary quite a bit. Although the bonks are certainly annoying (I am *so* looking forward to getting one when I post this), my suggestion would be to reflect on the subtle little technical features of these forums that you may have enjoyed (when they were working), like choices in fonts and font colors, obvious indications of where you've posted in thread lists, the option to turn off the wysiwyg editor (and actually use html), etc. From the look of it, things are going to be fairly different. To another bonk - cheers!

Just to confirm, they're old snapshots which then update with beta stuff (which isn't mirrored to the main site, of course) - aside from the login data and livefyre stuff, everything on the beta is on a, temporarily (read: for the duration of the beta), separate database. Tech support was snapshotted into the 'feedback' forum on the new site, merging with site enhancements...certainly not preferable imo, but it's not my choice in the end. GS UK/AU/etc forums seem to have disappeared completely, but it's possible they've been merged with something else and I just haven't found it yet too. Overall, they shouldn't have any direct noticeable effect on each other...that said, things probably will take longer to fix due to tech focus being on the beta site. Bonk doesn't seem to be stopping anything from getting through anyway, so just using the browser back button and refresh should show that the post went through fine..rather annoying, but nothing is lost.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gmax  Moderator
Indeed. I just noticed the TS merge into the new Feedback forum. gads. Thanks for the pointer though.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The-Apostle

...so just using the browser back button and refresh should show that the post went through fine..rather annoying, but nothing is lost.robbristow
Just found a faster workaround. Click submit and then hit refresh BEFORE you reach the next screen. Your post appears.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Also getting boked a lot here

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#12 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

This is terrible, I shouldn't have to wait for people to fix it just so I can post, what's wrong with this damn site?!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it's happening to me everytime I post. Quite annoying.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The-Apostle

This is terrible, I shouldn't have to wait for people to fix it just so I can post, what's wrong with this damn site?!

Venom_Raptor
They only care about the crappy site. >_>
EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

It's happening to me as well. And it seems to post my posts twice for some reason.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gmax  Moderator
When bonk is in effect, there are various scenarios that may result in a double post - I think attempting a refresh is a common culprit. The thing to do is make sure you have a copy of your post, just in case, then submit, wait, wait, wait, and wait some more, then let the bonk show, then just close that window. Navigate back to the thread through the forum index, reload the thread, and your post should be on the tail end. It's more nuisance than it ought to be, but it's possible to skate around it without a double post if you're careful.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115433 Posts
[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

The-Apostle
They only care about the crappy site. >_>

You guys also forgot that it was the weekend.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it's happening to me everytime I post. Quite annoying.

yokofox33
I have the same problem.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

yokofox33
I have the same problem.