Are you satisfied with the gen we had?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So the next gen is almost upon us and just a few months away. Do you think this 7th generation of console gaming has been what you wanted it to be? Has it been better or worse than the last? Are you overall happy with it or outraged? What are your thoughts on it?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I was overall satisfied with the gen, and enjoyed most of the games I bought on the hardware I had.

As far as games go, I think this gen wasn't really better or worse than any other gen. I will say I think this gen is one of the worst as far as business practices go. that's not to say devs were perfect little angels in previous gens either, but stuff like on-disc DLC and micro-transactions are pretty BS IMO.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

i am satisfied. but honestly, the graphics ive been seeing in all the ps4/xbox one trailers and stuff is what i expected ps3/360 to look like back before this gen started. but still, lots of quality games this gen so i'm still satisfied. i just hope they don't slack on the graphics next gen. its hard to compete with ps2 era though i still think that was best gen. the ps2 dominance of last gen was just legendary.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Really satisfied with the current gen hence im still having fun playing it to this day.

Great games and great graphics.

The fact that next gen is around the corner and even though ill have a ps4 on day 1, ill still be playing GTA V and gran turismo 6 on my ps3 well into next gen.

That says alot about current gen to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Overall, yes. While I do think this past gen has created some really annoying "trends" (FPS overload, microtransactions, DLC overload), we got so many great games and experiences out of the Wii, PS3, and 360.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#6 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
I'm satisfied overall, I'm not satisfied with the Wii since most games I was expecting to play on it ended up not coming.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Oh yeah. I've got plenty of games here, and there's still a shit ton I want to buy.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Yes, it was one of the best.

TaciturnBengal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TaciturnBengal
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I am satisfied with this gen but last gen is my favorite gen so far.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I think this console generation could have been better because this was the first generation that I noticed some games relying on graphics as the main appeal rather than gameplay. Gameplay could be innovated and we will probably see some next gen with more online multiplayer ideas being implemented like the Division, Drive Club, and Destiny.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts
[QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

Really satisfied with the current gen hence im still having fun playing it to this day.

Great games and great graphics.

The fact that next gen is around the corner and even though ill have a ps4 on day 1, ill still be playing GTA V and gran turismo 6 on my ps3 well into next gen.

That says alot about current gen to me.

Yeah well said. Same here. The fact that I actually plan on keeping my PS3 says alot really because I never usually keep old hardware after a generation finishes. Too many classics I want to replay.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Despite the seaon pass, DLC bullshit, I was quite satisfied with this gen. It's the next gen that has me catious.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I think this console generation could have been better because this was the first generation that I noticed some games relying on graphics as the main appeal rather than gameplay. Gameplay could be innovated and we will probably see some next gen with more online multiplayer ideas being implemented like the Division and Drive Club, and Destiny.

BranKetra

Lol, next gen is looking to focus on social gaming, subscription fees, unrelated gaming technology like voice commands for tv, female protagonists, ******** gamers, homosexual romance options and dumbing down games for casuals who could care less about gaming. Gameplay will be a distant third behind graphics.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

So the next gen is almost upon us and just a few months away. Do you think this 7th generation of console gaming has been what you wanted it to be? Has it been better or worse than the last? Are you overall happy with it or outraged? What are your thoughts on it?

The_Last_Ride
Ya, this gen lasted longer than i had expected but gaming wise i think we have had some very good games. Hardware it has been abit more lacking and the kinect and Move came way to late and wasn't supported way enough for it to justify the cost.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

I think this console generation could have been better because this was the first generation that I noticed some games relying on graphics as the main appeal rather than gameplay. Gameplay could be innovated and we will probably see some next gen with more online multiplayer ideas being implemented like the Division and Drive Club, and Destiny.

HipHopBeats

Lol, next gen is looking to focus on social gaming, subscription fees, unrelated gaming technology like voice commands for tv, female protagonists, ******** gamers, homosexual romance options and dumbing down games for casuals who could care less about gaming. Gameplay will be a distant third behind graphics.

Social gaming is basically what I said about online multiplayer ideas. Those ideas qualify as gameplay elements.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Highly satisfied

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

Despite the seaon pass, DLC bullshit, I was quite satisfied with this gen. It's the next gen that has me catious.

HipHopBeats
My thoughts exactly. Microtransactions, DLC on disc and leaving stuff out of the game itself and Season Pass even when preordering a game. That is technically a pre-order of a preorder of something you don't know what it's going to be like. But the games have been excellent
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Yes i'm very satisfied.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Yeah, pretty satisfied to be honest. My all time favorite game came out of this generation and as long as each generation ahead brings me more and more gaming satisfaction i wont complain.

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

it was alrite, the answer will probably change in a few years when nostalgia kicks in. the only thing i will never stop hating is the wiimote. that awful control scheme turned so many games that would've been good with a regular controller into garbage.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

I wouldn't say I was disatisfied, but more a little dissapointed.  It was easily my least favorite generation so far. I don't really care for the direction console gaming has been trending.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the games I got, Both Wii and PS3 were completely worth it. Wii offered me the best 1st party games in the past generation and PS3 suplied me with some fantastic multiplats.

but I'm rather disappointed in some popular trends.

-DLC practices and pre-order bonuses

-focus on narrative and cinematic flourish instead of what makes this medium unique: gameplay.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Pretty satisfied overall, I found plenty to play.  A big part of that though was because of all the variety we had in the earlier part of the generation.  Towards the end it got to be just sequels and shooters and sequels of shooters and everything must feature online multiplayer.  That's why I built a PC - my next gen machine that plays current gen games, as well as "next gen" ones, should there be any that interest me.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#24 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I think it's been great, and still is.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I know I keep talking about forza 4 lol but I was playing last night and thought to myself "wow this game looks so damn good."

I was driving my 335 italia through the nurburgring. Great track.

Also I was thinking how great the lighting and cars look. It's amazing how this gen is comming to a close yet games still look up to par and still blow me away.

I can't imagine how Forza 5 is going to look.

Although im happy about next gen, I think they could of streched this gen for a few more years without bringing out new hardware.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

it was alrite, the answer will probably change in a few years when nostalgia kicks in. the only thing i will never stop hating is the wiimote. that awful control scheme turned so many games that would've been good with a regular controller into garbage.

gameboy343

and made games like the Metroid Prime trilogy and Skyward Sword SOOO much better.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Satisfied, but not ecstatic.

We're insatiable.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I would say its been a good leap forward. Bioshock, The Last of Us, Super Mario Galaxy, Demon's Souls, GTA 5, and many more games that took advantage of the upgrade over the PS2, Xbox, and Game Cube. Online play has been set up for some interesting advances as well.
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts
Absolutely love it
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Kinda torn TBH. A lot of genres I loved from past gens really fell on hard times this one, platformers and JRPG's went way down both in terms of the numbers made, and the quality of the ones that where, though with a few notable exceptions. I never got into the whole online multiplayer, with the exception of Gears of War which I loved (well the first two anyway), but outside of that it just seemed like a waste of resources that could have instead been used to make single player portions of games even better. I also disliked the move towards trying to make games more realistic, not that I'm completely against it, but there could/should have been a better balance, and it would have been nice is devs remembers that there are more colours than just Green, Brown and Grey out there. Yet, despite all that, this gen still managed to deliver some of my favorite games of all time, such as the Mass Effect trilogy, Uncharted trilogy, most of the Assassin's Creed series, the Arkham series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Ni No Kuni, Gears of War trilogy. It also managed to make my second favorite game of all time, Metroid Prime, even better with the Wii version.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts
I've been extremely satisfied with this gen. Having been an avid gamer since the Atari 2600 days and seeing gaming get better with each successive generation this has been my favourite. I've played and enjoyed more games now then ever before which is A LOT. I've thoroughly enjoyed the proliferation of online gaming and the ability to get more content for the games that I enjoy. I also love all the extra capabilities that consoles have outside of simply just playing games. I'm extremely excited and very much looking forward to the next gen.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
In my opinion I enjoyed this gen even though I was late getting in. But now that I see next gen doesn't offer anything significantly different I appreciate how this gen has been. Graphically I think 360 and PS3 held their own and to be honest considering next gen graphics I think this gen is amazing. I also give respect to the developers to have been able to push the consoles as hard as they did. I just hope they push next gen at the same pace if not greater.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Last Guardian still isn't out, and my Ps3 broke twice..........thanks for the PC.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I loved everything but the hardware. Lol. Damn  RROD. But honestly, I have over 100 xbox games, some ps3 and wii. I loved every minute of this gen. A+

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#35 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I mainly loved it, some fantastic games came out this gen, some great new ideas, online gaming has become the norm.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I love this generation. Kickbutt AAA games and on consoles the rise of indie games and the introduction of widely accesible user generated content (UGC has been around since the NES, but before one had to visit the creator's home to experience it).

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

This gen was so long that it would be weird to be disappointed in it and still be posting on a gaming forum today.

I'm very happy with the quality and the variety of the games that I played in the past 8 years, and I still have a huge backlog and a few games I'm anticipating.

RavenousBengal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RavenousBengal
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
This gen has been one of my favorites.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Last_Ride

I mainly loved it, some fantastic games came out this gen, some great new ideas, online gaming has become the norm.

AzelKosMos
Online is great for some games, but it's been tacked on for too many games that don't need it
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I obviously must have been when I own a PS3 and a good bunch of games
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Last_Ride

I love this generation. Kickbutt AAA games and on consoles the rise of indie games and the introduction of widely accesible user generated content (UGC has been around since the NES, but before one had to visit the creator's home to experience it).

CarnageHeart
glad i am not the only one :D
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Yeah, I am "satisfied" with the gen we had. Because of online gameplay, broader media functionality, good titles coming out late, and the graphics being good enough, this gen lasted longer than previous gens, and I also believe that we're getting the next upgrades at the appropriate time, not too early or too late.

My favorite gens were N64/PS1 and Genesis/SNES. It was all about core gameplay. The Dreamcast is my all-time favorite system but I didn't like how PS2 brought it down. The original Xbox brought back my love for gaming. It was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast looking back on it. I felt really disappointed when the 360 came out. To me, it was a next-gen PS2. COD multiplayer is one of the worse things to ever happen to gaming. It's like a drug, I hope the kids snap out of it.

Among the rubble there are occasional glimmers of hope like GTA 5 and Destiny that are all about bringing you experiences you have never had before. I want today's young COD generation to throw their Xbox Live headset/gamerscore/gamertag/friends list in the trash can and free their mind to new gameplay. League of Legends and Minecraft is starting to turn into trash too.

But I still have hope for the future, and in general love being a gamer. It's a great time. In the middle of all the darkness and confusion, there will always be great titles like TLOU waiting, to take us away from Kinect and Call of Duty and Xbox Live fanboys and the madness.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#43 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

For me its been by the far the best yet. Most of my favourite games came out this gen!