Be honest, do your parents buy your games for you?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3109 Posts

Maybe I'm a tad older than most on this site but the only console my parents bought for me was the original NES (it was for Christmas for both me and my sister so that was the sole present we got that year). Every console and game since (SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Xbox, et. al.) were financed by me.

Actually, I haven't received a birthday or Christmas gift for years. There's a certain point where you need to put the childish things away and tell your parents to worry about their retirement and living comfortably instead of buying me frivolous stuff that I can buy myself.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Last time my parents bought a console for me was the PS2 in 2001 or 2002 if I recall.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58368 Posts

Last game that was purchased for me by my parents was Half-Life. Christmas 1998. Man what a good one.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7304 Posts

My mother-in-law did get me a Switch a few years ago. It was my birthday and I had just been in a car accident, so I think it was also a sympathy gift. She's awesome.

Before that, my parents got a PS1 for my brother and me when I was in high school. I started getting summer jobs shortly after that and bought most games and systems myself since then.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2079 Posts

My parents think video games are a waste of time and money.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Honestly think the last game my parents bought for me was GTA San Andreas.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Not for decades but I certainly milked my parents when I was a child. In retrospect my parents were very milkable, I think they were guilty as they were always so busy.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Was given a lot of older gaming hardware and software when I was much younger, so technically yes, not parents as such. . and was many years ago. However I sold a lot of it because I was not into video games in the same way I am now.

Bought my own PlayStation 2 however, which was difficult looking back to make such a small amont. Cannot think of anything family has really bought me gaming related, or cared to do so in the past decade or so. It's only really friends that buy me games, and one bought me Cyber Punk so. . . does that count?

My parents prefer to buy me clothes I never wear, or cook books despite having zero interest in learning.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56190 Posts

As a kid who grew up in the 90s, yes they did and fact, my parents bought me my first ever console aka SNES and from their, it change my life for the better. In 1997, I was somewhat old enough to tell my parents I'll work for now on and I save up money to buy my first console purchase on my own and that was PS1.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Nope. They're dead now.

But they did when I was younger during my Spectrum 48k/Atari ST years. Get one at Christmas and Birthday if I was lucky.

By the time I was on the SNES I could afford to by my own games.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

My mom got me my Atari 2600 for Xmas of 80 or 81. My aunt gave me my SNES that she won in a raffle at a grocery store in the early 90's. My mom got me Dino Crisis for Xmas one year. Other than that, all me.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

In terms of consoles I believe the last console I was gifted (well, my siblings and I) was the Wii. I think my mom helped me with buying a PS3. In terms of games, I mostly started taking care of that myself by the time I was in high school. I'd sometimes ask for games for Christmas but then felt kind of bad that they probably paid full price for them. So, sure, they supported my hobby growing up.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34654 Posts

They gave me and my two older brothers a NES and some games when I was 1 year old. Played it from 2 years of age and maybe for 5 more years. After that, we siblings bought a SNES together with our own money, then later a N64. Been buying my own games and systems ever since.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44258 Posts

I haven’t technically received a game as a gift in many years but I do receive gift cards and/or money as a present that went towards buying games and/or systems. My family members all regularly exchange gifts for birthdays and Christmas. They give me gifts and I give them gifts.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22385 Posts

Definitely not. I wish.

marleygamekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 marleygamekid
Member since 2021 • 14 Posts

digiTaL

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

My mom bought me a

PS1, PS2, Xbox, Wii, PSP, NDS. She was good at getting the hottest games too. She's the reason why I got into video gaming so much.

The rest I bought myself.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3645 Posts

My mom bought a Nintendo Switch last November. The parents bought me and my brother the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis and PlayStation when we were growing up in the 90's. I wish my parents still bought me videogames but I buy them myself.