dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16010 Posts

I think it can be (mentally, not physically). It can teach problem-solving, concentration and discipline. It can also build social skills if you do voice chat. What do you guys think? is it healthy or not?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7295 Posts

It certainly can provide some benefits to brain development, hand eye coordination, and problem solving skills. Mario 64 has been shown to help slow Alzheimers, and Wii fit was beneficial to Parkinsons patients. But you have to consider those studies were done mostly with old folks who never played videogames much before. A lot of the effects were likely from learning a new skill just in general.

I certainly feel better gaming after a long day, helps me unwind. But this benefit probably maxes out at around 30 mins. After that, I'm just killing time.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58357 Posts

Some games. Most games, in fact. I think gaming is really great for a lot of things--memory, hand-eye coordination, math, strategy, problem solving, etc--and frankly I think it could be a huge educational tool in the future if properly channeled.

However I have serious concerns over a lot of the loot-based multiplayer games that focus on the endorphin reward feedback loop of "invest time, get item, feel endorphin rush, repeat" slot machine mechanic. I think that can hardwire a lot of people, especially children, into having mental health issues. This mechanic can be found in a lot of things, however, and I don't think video games should be unfairly treated especially because of this.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#4 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2954 Posts

Only if it's with Doritos and Mountain Dew.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

Heh….yes, it can be mentally healthy because it activates certain cells in the brain I suppose.

But like everything, it’s gotta be done in moderation.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34637 Posts

In moderation, yeah. Like most things.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 551 Posts

Depends. If you spend a decent chunk of your day in system wars getting worked up because you chose one console instead of the other and must justify your purchase at all costs then it's probably unhealthy. If you're through puberty however it's probably a healthy hobby.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 512 Posts

Personally, no. I consider it akin to Alcohol, it's okay in moderation, and it can be a stress reliever and social ice breaker, but it's easy to abuse and has a higher probability of holding you back in life than it does helping you. Benefits like hand eye coordination and problem solving skills are good, but you get much more benefit (plus more) out of other avenues like athletics and reading.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 285 Posts

It depends on your relationship with video games , I think it's okay In small sessions but spend to much time on them it can grow toxic

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

Personally, no.

But playing a certain genres like soulsborne or city builders really helps to reduce stress for me. If I got a bad day I run through bloodborne (or whatever else) kill few bosses and go to sleep.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1350 Posts

I don’t think it’s as healthy as tabletop gaming which usually requires more reading, math and problem solving skills; games like dungeons and dragons or Warhammer, but I think as a stress release in moderation video games can be considered healthy.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23935 Posts

It is about as healthy as any other sedentary activity. Which is to say... do it in moderation. Definately don't skip out on the exercise.

Some games like Ring Fit Adventure however... does give you exercise while gaming.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3108 Posts

Gaming is fine as long as it’s not the center of your life and you better have other aspects of your life in check.

A guy who is in great physical shape, has a robust social life, knows how to get girls, is educated, well employed, dresses/talks/behaves like a mature adult wants to play Zelda or a few rounds of Call of Duty, that is perfectly fine. He’s earned his leisure time.

However if a guy is a fat misanthrope loser who has achieved nothing in life, he hasn’t earned the privilege of down time. He needs to put the controller down, grow up and level up but most modern men are fat hapless losers with no capacity for self improvement and who believe nothing is their fault.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: I’m in agreement with what you said.

Furthermore, as long as you are enlightened after gaming, or have achieved something to think about (let’s say a plot line) from gaming, then that’s a good thing.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I think it is just like any game you will play. Cards dominoes etc, you are exercising your thinking. More so now days as opposed to let's say the 90s where video games were a little more basic. Only bad I can see is staring too long at electrical light coming from the TV.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1119 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Some games. Most games, in fact. I think gaming is really great for a lot of things--memory, hand-eye coordination, math, strategy, problem solving, etc--and frankly I think it could be a huge educational tool in the future if properly channeled.

However I have serious concerns over a lot of the loot-based multiplayer games that focus on the endorphin reward feedback loop of "invest time, get item, feel endorphin rush, repeat" slot machine mechanic. I think that can hardwire a lot of people, especially children, into having mental health issues. This mechanic can be found in a lot of things, however, and I don't think video games should be unfairly treated especially because of this.

Yeah I'd agree. Unfortunately the most popular games in the world seem to have problematic loops that are harmful. FOMO GaaS mechanics and grinding and loot style mechanics come to mind for me. Still, even bad videogames are at most as bad for you as social media or tik tok or as harmful as cable TV with ads was back in the day.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 692 Posts

As long as you manage your time and don't do it excessively.