Full game list, CastleVania Anniversary Collection!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

CV

CV III: Dracula’s Curse

CVA II: Belmont’s Revenge

SCV IV

CV: Bloodlines

DCS: Kid Dracula

CV the Adventure

CV II: Simon's Quest

Can finally play Bloodlines, which I've read a few claim as the best 'traditional' entry. Played all the others, Adventure series is disappointing to me; would have preferred the two Aria games.

The collection will be on PS4, XB1, Switch, and Steam.

Hyped/ wanted Rondo/ disappointed/ don't care?

Feel free to express yourself below

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Physical or digital? Price?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RSM-HQ

@Solaryellow: 16th of May, 3,240¥/ $19.99. Seems to be digital only (would love a physical option)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Bloodlines is indeed great. I'm not a Castlevania aficionado, so I won't say it's the best or anything. But it's a great game with great music.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

@xantufrog: Really looking forward Bloodlines/ Vampire Killer, and only ever played the portable version of Kid Dracula so will be interesting to play the home console edition. Probably the two biggest interests in the collection. Outside my personal favorite Super IV.

Still don't get why they didn't use the Wii Remake of CastleVania: Adventure, it's a vastly better game

Probably for nostalgia I guess.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

@Solaryellow: 16th of May, 3,240¥/ $19.99. Seems to be digital only (would love a physical option)

This has Switch written all over it. Under twenty (before the gov't takes taxes)? Easy purchase.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

A bunch of classics and two Game Boy games, interesting. Might pick it up day one on Steam. Out of curiosity, why they didn't include any of the Metroidvanias?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ

@davillain- said:

A bunch of classics and two Game Boy games, interesting. Might pick it up day one on Steam. Out of curiosity, why they didn't include any of the Metroidvanias?

Yeah the lack of Soma Cruz is a missed opportunity.

If I had to guess is because the portable games on GBA and DS will be pumped into a separate collection sadly. Apparently Sony currently have port rights to both SotN and Rondo of Blood. Hence why PS4 has the Requiem bundle.

If classic CastleVania comes across as intimidating compared to the Metroidvania games? Can say from personal experience Kid Dracula, and the Adventure games are some of the easiest in the series. Super IV is a nice middle ground but plays absolutely great.

@Solaryellow said:

This has Switch written all over it. Under twenty (before the gov't takes taxes)? Easy purchase.

Going to grab it at least on two platforms, one of which will be the Switch, personally grew up playing CastleVania on my DS so to me is the most natural.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Not bad. I’ll definitely get it but I would have preferred that a physical version was released as well. I also would have liked for:

- Rondo of Blood

- Dracula X

- Symphony of the Night

to have been included. It would have felt a bit more “complete”.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Archangel3371 said:

Not bad. I’ll definitely get it but I would have preferred that a physical version was released as well. I also would have liked for:

- Rondo of Blood

- Dracula X

- Symphony of the Night

to have been included. It would have felt a bit more “complete”.

Why Dracula X? It's a Rondo port isn't it. Haven't seen many think highly of it either.

I understand the other two full heartily; is kind of stupid how the previous collection came to be. Before recently it was known Konami simply don't like CastleVania and gave up on the series. PS4 got a pretty good port of the PSP versions of the games and is locked to that system due to a contract between Konami and Sony, as Konami never planned any future for the retro franchise and Sony wanted at least SotN on the modern system.

Would have preferred it reach all modern platforms so further discussion on Rondo of Blood could come up. Seeing as it's one of my personal favorites in the franchise.

I expect in future no other retro CastleVania game to be exclusive to one platform. Konmai gets money can be made, and Gamers want them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Dracula X has a similar plot to Rondo but it has a different art style, reworked levels, some extra levels, and a few new mechanics to it. Yeah it’s not a favourite among most fans of the series but I really enjoyed it myself, I really dug the art style.

Yeah it’d be great to see more Castlevania Collection games come out in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Why the hell is Simon's Quest, Kid Dracula, and The Adventure on here but not the best game in the series, Rondo of Blood?

I don't know if I'm going to buy it or not. On one hand, I'm disappointed with the selection of games and the lack of physical version. On the other hand, I kind of want to support it just to show Konami that there is a market for these games so that they might decide to make a new one.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

@RSM-HQ: No biggie, at least Bloodlines is finally getting re-released, so that says alot. I'll totally buy a Metroidvania collection down the road and too bad they don't have Castlevania Chronicles. It's a great Cv1 remake in my opinion.

By the way, I didn't know Konami gave up on Castlevania series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@RSM-HQ said:

Can finally play Bloodlines, which I've read a few claim as the best 'traditional' entry.

Bloodlines is decent but far from the best. I think that most people that call it the best are people that only had Sega consoles growing up so they want to feel that the one Castlevania game that they got is the best.

Bloodlines was very lacking in the horror atmosphere compared to the other Classic Castlevania games, it had really bad sound effects that are by far the worst sound effects of any of the Classic Castlevania games, and it did not feel like a true Castlevania game either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
@RSM-HQ said:

Why Dracula X? It's a Rondo port isn't it. Haven't seen many think highly of it either.

Calling it a port is unfair to it. The plot is mostly the same and it has a few other similarities, but the levels are mostly different. It's also a much more challenging game which I like about it.

I personally think that it is underrated and gets a bad reputation just because at the time of it's release, people wanted it to either be Rondo of Blood or in the same style as Super Castlevania, but it was neither of those things. Since then, people that haven't even played it just assume that it is bad because of the reputation that it got for not being the game that people expected it to be at the time of it's release.

Is it as great as Rondo of Blood? No, but I think that it is better than more than half of the games that are being included in this collection and I'm disappointed that it's not in the collection.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Not interested really.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Not interested unless it's physical

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ

@storm_of_swords:

Bloodlines is decent but far from the best. I think that most people that call it the best are people that only had Sega consoles growing up so they want to feel that the one Castlevania game that they got is the best.

The one I go back to the most is Super CastleVania IV, I really like a lot of the games. But on that particular note with Bloodlines I'm excited but do think it was Sega fans just being a bit bias.

Calling it a port is unfair to it. The plot is mostly the same and it has a few other similarities, but the levels are mostly different.

I've played Rondo of Blood quite a lot and adore that game. I've seen X on the 3DS store and never grabbed it despite being very within my reach. After looking it up seems to be one of the most dislike games next to Simon's Quest.

I personally think that it is underrated and gets a bad reputation just because at the time of it's release, people wanted it to either be Rondo of Blood or in the same style as Super Castlevania, but it was neither of those things. Since then, people that haven't even played it just assume that it is bad because of the reputation that it got for not being the game that people expected it to be at the time of it's release.

Hmm I may have to reconsider the game. I think a few in the collection are some of the best but do agree three of these games shouldn't be in the collection Adventure, Adventure 2, Simon's Quest.

Kid Dracula is really good. I disagree on that front.

I'm disappointed that it's not in the collection.

Sony has rights to porting Rondo currently. From what I recall reading, Sony had to do the port themselves while Konami sold the rights to both SotN and RoB. That's why it's unlikely to see either on other platforms for the foreseeable future.

This collection only exists because Konami is shocked people still like CastleVania. And retro gaming. They're a poorly run company in 2019 that's for certain.

@davillain- said:
By the way, I didn't know Konami gave up on Castlevania series.

Igarashi Koji sans words himself. Stated before his departure Konami higher-ups told him to cease bringing up any ideas for CastleVania games because it was no longer an interest for the companies image.

Konami was even looking into selling the rights to the IP at the time. Until this collection, they outsourced to the highest bidder.

Now that CastleVania is profitable again with the recent series and PS4 collection selling really well Konami want back-in.

That's why we have Bloodstained in the first place, and why I backed Ritual of the Night.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If you're a Castlevania fan, play Castlevania: Lecarde Chronicles 1 and 2, they're free. Also stay tuned for Wallachia: Reign of Dracula, coming soon from the same developer.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I'm not hyped for Bloodlines anymore since it's on the Genesis, but...awesome that it has Kid Dracula(assuming there are no changes in the western lineup, I hope not) I would get this for 20 bucks just to have that and the Gameboy games and the other games I have elsewhere all in one place.

I imagine there will be another Castlevania collection for the Metroidvanias(at least the GBA ones, not sure if they would put in the effort to make the DS games work on console).