Is it just because i'm getting older? But Multiplayer Games are more frustrating than fun now.

thingta42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thingta42
Member since 2005 • 6125 Posts

All i can really say is, that i've been gaming as long as i have memories. But being 30 years old now. Online games just frustrate and annoy me rather than give me enjoyment. And So i'd prefer to sink my spare time in a Singleplayer only game Like an RPG Like Witcher 3 or something or a JRPG where other players can't bother me or annoy me and i can enjoy the game on my own leisure and free time.

Anyone else feel like this? Or am i just sucking in general? xD

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 724 Posts

I have always felt this way. I only play multiplayer with friends.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4389 Posts

it depends on the game.

one thing i notice now. u.i for games and some os... 5 steps. to get to what i need.

when 20 years ago. 1 simple click did it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Heading the other way. I love jrpg and rpgs and whatever sub genre but lately I starts to play more multiplayer focused games. I still buys all the JRPG that I can find tho.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

@thingta42: It’s the reverse for me….sp games bore me to tears. Halo infinite and bf2042 will both last me well into 2022.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Multiplayer games have very little to them. They mostly share the same mechanics with nothing else going on. And once you stick with one that you like you'll be stuck on a "10" minute loop that you'll repeat for hundreds or thousands of hours.

On top of all this nothingness, they now fill this type of games with really annoying audiovisual feedback to give you serotonin bumps that are just obnoxious.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11691 Posts

Typically I play more multiplayer than single player, I played all the major battle royales at somepoint as noted in another thread Tetris 99 being the one I've sunk the most hours into.

Way more Quake Champions than I'd care to admit, Souls PvP is something I can put hundreds of hours into. Streets of Rage 4 (like any Beat em' Up) is best played with friends, haven't enjoyed a Bem'U this much since 2013's Dragon's Crown. As well, any given Monster Hunter game (though I do play solo also) MH to me is a series I probably enjoy most because of all the friends that join with me for each and every entry.

Some game however have pretty toxic communities which only hinders the experience and makes me move away from a game. League of Legends is the most infamous as is any given Blizzard property. Though is tough to give Blizzard a chance these days even with the bad communities.

*I also gave up on The Witcher III, wasn't grabbing me. Basic systems like movement and action are horrendously imprecise. Docking down anything good the experience was offering. I need more than a pretty game with a story to keep me invested. I enjoy books so if I was interested in a story? I would read. Gaming time is for gaming, want to enjoy the gameplay to a reasonable degree that's all I ask, not put up with mediocrity.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 724 Posts

The problem with online games is that you have to spend a lot of time to become competitive.

For instance, i play age of empires 2 quite a lot, but if i wanted to play online with strangers i would have to memorize several build orders, incorporate mechanics, work on keeping my attention split for a long time, learn to intituively guess the oponent,s strategy from some limited scouting.

By the time i am that good, i could have probably used all that time to learn to program a game myself.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Typically I play more multiplayer than single player, I played all the major battle royales at somepoint as noted in another thread Tetris 99 being the one I've sunk the most hours into.

Way more Quake Champions than I'd care to admit, Souls PvP is something I can put hundreds of hours into. Streets of Rage 4 (like any Beat em' Up) is best played with friends, haven't enjoyed a Bem'U this much since 2013's Dragon's Crown. As well, any given Monster Hunter game (though I do play solo also) MH to me is a series I probably enjoy most because of all the friends that join with me for each and every entry.

Some game however have pretty toxic communities which only hinders the experience and makes me move away from a game. League of Legends is the most infamous as is any given Blizzard property. Though is tough to give Blizzard a chance these days even with the bad communities.

*I also gave up on The Witcher III, wasn't grabbing me. Basic systems like movement and action are horrendously imprecise. Docking down anything good the experience was offering. I need more than a pretty game with a story to keep me invested. I enjoy books so if I was interested in a story? I would read. Gaming time is for gaming, want to enjoy the gameplay to a reasonable degree that's all I ask, not put up with mediocrity.

Whoa! I didn't know you're into online multiplayer games. The main question of the forum? It depends on which online MP games you're playing. Battlefield is more like NFL football (takes an team to win the match) versus Call Of Duty (more like NBA basketball where one player or two players can carry entire team to victory. As for The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, I gave up on the game the first time. Fortunately, I gave it an second shot (completed last year & thought it was overrated).

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

For me, I hate all the perks & crap that lifers are afforded for living on a game is what turns new players off games such as COD, etc....these lifers already have every advantage under the sun with map layout knowledge, knowledge of loadouts, etc, etc...

I would prefer to see some of the Unreals, Quakes, Timsplitters style of mp shooters make a comeback. Socom was also one of my favorite MP games ever made......as a campaign predominant player, I was not a fan of Socom's single player experience, but the online was unrivalled for it's time...so fun..

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RSM-HQ

@BigCat2K20: Tried a few Battle Field and Call of Duty games, have always been more fond of Arena Shooters like old school Unreal and even the more modern Nintendo's Splatoon.

Have mentioned before one of the main drawbacks for me with The Witcher III is the game uses the Priority Movement Engine, which was popular in games like Grand Theft Auto IV and Assassins Creed. I tend to find that style of avatar movement very unresponsive and sluggish. It is pretty cool for how it handles physics though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts

I still play MP games and enjoy it. I don't think I get frustrated more often with them now than before. But I do play less of them than before. I think that mostly have to do with me just liking less MP games than before. The most popular stuff like CoD, Fortnite, PUBG, Apex just don't interest me at all. Release a new Unreal Tournament, and I'd be all over it. Release a new BF in the vein of 2142 and earlier and I'd be all over that too. Release Team Fortress 3 and I'd be exstatic. But most gamers today sadly don't want what I want.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14  Edited By BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

@BigCat2K20: Tried a few Battle Field and Call of Duty games, have always been more fond of Arena Shooters like old school Unreal and even the more modern Nintendo's Splatoon.

Have mentioned before one of the main drawbacks for me with The Witcher III is the game uses the Priority Movement Engine, which was popular in games like Grand Theft Auto IV and Assassins Creed. I tend to find that style of avatar movement very unresponsive and sluggish. It is pretty cool for how it handles physics though.

That's cool, man. Everybody has different taste in video games. When it comes to Arena shooters, I'm not very good. Battlefield games where I can do more than just point, shoot & move on to the next enemy player. Two of my main gripes with The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt is weapon durability & so much talking where you mind as well be watching an movie!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

For me I'm older and I have no patience for putting up with little shits online anymore that's what did it for me. Also MP games these days IMO aren't as good as they use to be be.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59333 Posts

The actual game design has largely changed since I was in youth, so not just me.

Basically, RPG elements, grind, monetization etc..

These days, generally just play fighting games or COOP.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

@thingta42 said:

All i can really say is, that i've been gaming as long as i have memories. But being 30 years old now. Online games just frustrate and annoy me rather than give me enjoyment. And So i'd prefer to sink my spare time in a Singleplayer only game Like an RPG Like Witcher 3 or something or a JRPG where other players can't bother me or annoy me and i can enjoy the game on my own leisure and free time.

Anyone else feel like this? Or am i just sucking in general? xD

I've found more than single-player games, enjoying multiplayer games is reliant on at least some level of proficiency competing against other people. I think the problem is that a lot of online games have balanced the fun out of them in favor of catering to the professional, competitive crowd that don't want the more random aspects of multiplayer games to bleed into the experience.

This makes games like COD incredibly frustrating if you're not good at them because the people who have memorized the timing of shots, maps, and everything create an environment where absolutely no fun can be had for the casual fan.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RSM-HQ

Another multiplayer shout-out is Vermintide 2. It is a lot like Left 4 Dead but is no slouch in what it offers. I really liked the Left 4 Dead games and overall I think Vermintide 2 is an overall better package.

@litchie here in the forums recommended the game Vermintide 2, and I too would recommend giving it a chance. It's a cooperative game for those who have not played Vermintide or Left 4 Dead.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I used to play a lot of online multiplayer stuff. Beginning with the OG Xbox playing games like Rainbow Six 3/Black Arrow, Halo 2, Ghost Recon, and tons of time spent in Return to Castle Wolfenstein... and continued a lot of FPS multiplayer gameplay up to the end of the Xbox 360 era and even a bit into the PC era since. But I just get so bored of them. The community is toxic AF, cheaters galore, the developers have stopped trying as well. I'm not sure if you're getting older so much as maybe we've been so oversaturated with it that we just don't care anymore.

Mostly, I've been playing retro stuff. SNES, NES, Genesis, recently getting more into 80's and 90's arcade recently beating games again like Dino Crisis 2 (for like the 5th time), Simpson's arcade, TMNT arcade, Turtles in Time, Virtua Racer, the 2D Metroid games, etc. Sometimes I play multiplayer stuff still, but it's almost always co-op like 7 Days to Die, Phasmophobia, Valheim, etc.

I'd rather socialize with decent people and have good conversation while doing so than "pwning" a bunch of 12 year old "noobs" talking about banging each other's moms.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#20 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, I get what you mean. This is why I lean more towards Nintendo when I want an online multiplayer experience, especially if I'm not playing couch co-op. Find that there's less chance of me running into toxic communities. It's just more of a streamlined experience?

Againstcurent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Againstcurent
Member since 2021 • 147 Posts

Competition and socializing seem to be only for young people, and we play games more for fun

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

Same.

The issue for me is that most AAA multiplayer games have devolved into service-based products where it's all about keeping the consumer on the line, draining them of cash slowly over time, or simply just dangling unlocks in front of them so their endorphins essentially force them to play.

If these games had no reason to play outside of "just for the fun of it", they wouldn't be as popular. I miss the days of old Counter-Strike, Quake, etc. where multiplayer was about skill and luck and no bullshit.

@nirgal said:

I have always felt this way. I only play multiplayer with friends.

Yeah, literally 10x more fun with friends.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

It really does depend on the type of game i think but yeah, i can understand the point. One major bottom-line issue is in single player games, you are the entire focus. So that means everything going on *can be* catered entirely to your personal enjoyment (doesnt necessarilly mean it always is) but its at least far more so than anything which must be balanced properly with other players. In other words in a single player game the sky's the limit with what you could do, such as ride a horse, board a boat or even fly through the air. If a multiplayer game has anything like this, it'll certainly be watered down to the most basic level imaginable. It basically amounts to anything you obtain in a multiplayer game pretty much is either a new skin for appearances or just higher numbers. Very rarely can you expect anything beyond that.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

Back in my late 20s early 30s I had a k/d ratio of 1.75 in Modern Warfare. Now, in my early 40s, with the current Modern Warfare I have less than 1:1 ratio.

I think it's age but it could be something else, I suppose.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#25 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: Believe me, it’s a Large part to do with age. I’m coming closer to my 50’s and I’m not half the game player I used to be,not even close. I know a number of other people who are middle age and are the same as me. Everything goes down hill from later in the 20’s in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a8d05d77a44
deactivated-62a8d05d77a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-62a8d05d77a44
Member since 2021 • 19 Posts

I have always been like this, have more fun playing self-contained single-player games that aren't competitive. I didn't really get big into FPS games until the 360, and even still I have frequent lengths of time where I get sick of them or the people I play against.

The big advantage multiplayer games have is you can really play and enjoy them in bite-sized chunks, and maybe even have time to work on another game at the same time. But they take practice and frequent play to stay decent at playing.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: I don't think it's age, it's the way newer CoD games are designed. The maps are pretty poorly designed with 1000 camping spots per map along with the way they pair up players, it's all designed to keep players on a more "level" playing field all while sucking out all the fun.