Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#1 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

Many video games exist that feel timeless. Like Super Mario World, Ridge Racer, Castlevania SOTN, FF6, Zelda. What is the most outdated game you've ever played? Me personally,

Alone in the Dark. AITD is so outdated but I love it so much. The one from 1992. This game made me constantly go back and fourth to my inventory to not only look for items but to select an action or a function. Basically every 3D survival horror before Resident Evil feels so dated to me. If it's on DOS it belongs in the graveyard. Tank like controls and a fixed camera don't help either which is why it warrented a remake I only played an hour of. Not only that but every game after AITD1 seemed to get worse and worse with each passing installment until maybe a new nightmare.

AITD2 was more action oriented but was still terrible. So bad it wiped my PS1 memory card full of MGS saves. Thanks a lot!

Ninja Gaiden DS, embaressingly outdated. It's a fixed camera action adventure hack and slash for the DS with everything bad Devil May Cry had but with Pre-rendered backdrops. It was cool for the DS but not fun anymore.

Fallout New Vegas, many good idea but these controls are so bad for shooting. The movement is stiff. This game feels like it was a scrapped Windows 95 FPS game with CGI graphics for the time .

Corporation for Sega Genesis, once there was an FPS RPG for the Amiga and it got ported to the Genesis and it goes as well as it sounds.

Hard Drivin', a driving simulator for arcades. A drunk driving sim. I die everytime and it's funny. The flat shaded low polygons where too much for anything that it was on.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

Super Mario land 2 is very outdated. I feel as if it has very clunky mechanics, and also gives me a headache when I play it. The foes are also very tricky and they hurt you (whether it was intentionally done by the developers, I don’t know, it’s kind of an unknown to me)

I also think nba jam (not T.E.) has fuzzy graphics, and outdated because of that reason.

Goldeneye 007. Time has treated this game poorly. I used to play the single player so many times. I’m sad to admit I don’t want anything to do with this game anymore. It really pains me but I admit the whole concept of level design is dated. Unfortunately.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15930 Posts

Zelda a link to the past. That shit is horrible to play.

Pokemon Diamond NDS and the remake on switch. Somehow both aged like milk.

All mario games. Never understood them, all plays trash with shit level layout

Dark Souls 3. Worst souls game ever made it doesnt even need to exist its just a callback to DS1 so outdated.

Pacman. Didnt age well no visual updates going to improve bad gameplay.

Uncharted 1. Game very unrefined and not fun to play.

Infamous. Not as good as I thought. Electric powers is far more fun than 2nd son smoke bullshit though.

Xenoblade 2. Game for pedos just avoid this shit.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4370 Posts

og doom movement is not fun

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34625 Posts

@sakaixx: The **** did I just read? A Link to the Past? Wtf.. All Mario games? Most outdated?

Cool joke dude.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sakaiXx

@Litchie: unfortunately its not. Its very true I really dont understand the appeal of Mario games. All of them play the same, horrible to play.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

I played Chrono trigger in the 2010s. By that time, it was of course a super old game.

But it was great. I absolutely loved it. Except for the lack of voice acting, It didn't feel outdated at all.

Currently I am playing Skyrim, I like it. But it does feel very outdated, specially the movement and the combat.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34625 Posts

@sakaixx: I really don't understand you, lol. I've never heard that ALttP and Mario games plays horribly and are outdated from anyone but you.

ALttP holds up really well. Graphics, soundtrack and gameplay shames games being released today even. Mario games as well, most of them are timeless. Really solid platforming games.

This makes no sense unless you just have a disdain for Nintendo.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7285 Posts

Rebel Assault. Gameplay was clunky even by standards of the time, but stupid young Judaspete played it anyway because he thought that shit looked as good as the movies. What a doofus he was.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

Nintendo still releases new games, where regardless of the gameplay which can feel good in a modern sense, other elements, design, and interface choices, feel outdated. Also a general lack of customization options.

Regardless of the presentation, Psychonauts 2's gameplay felt like it was developed back in an earlier time when the first game came out. The gameplay still feels like when developers were trying to come to grips with 3D platforming. It's a game I would play just for the narrative because of this, and it might be better watching someone else play.

If we are counting older games then it is easy to go back and find a game that doesn't hold up at all and feels old like Street Fighter 1 or Double Dragon or Hydlide. The first game is very old feeling but came out during an early time, so it's understandable. But I can't even understand how anyone would have played Virtual Hydlide when that game originally came out new on Saturn.

But feeling old isn't always a bad thing. It can be good, like in modern Dragon Quest games, or The Messenger. There are some concepts that feel continuously fun and hold up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59017 Posts

I play old ass games almost entirely now.

But as far as more "modern" games? Evil Within felt highly dated when I played it. The lame "crouch stealth", throw thing to distract, lame horror tropes that even in the late 90s was old hat, just everything about it felt heavily antiquated.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

Goldeneye on N64 is unplayable by modern standards.

Zelda ALttP holds up extremely well. Can't really take anyone seriously who says otherwise. If you don't like it that is fine, but it would be a perfectly acceptable experience if it came out today.

Also, Metal Gear Solid on PS1 holds up pretty darn well. Say what you want about Kojima, but the direction of this game is still good.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16005 Posts

Shovel Knight. It just wasn't my cup of tea. The developers intended for it to be a throwback of sorts, it just fails in that regard.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alexander2cents

@girlusocrazy: I think 3D console Nintendo games have the ugliest interfaces. Just this big ugly display of fisherprice buttons telling you what the flip to do.

I think Nintendo will stay in 2002 forever

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sakaiXx
@Litchie said:

@sakaixx: I really don't understand you, lol. I've never heard that ALttP and Mario games plays horribly and are outdated from anyone but you.

ALttP holds up really well. Graphics, soundtrack and gameplay shames games being released today even. Mario games as well, most of them are timeless. Really solid platforming games.

This makes no sense unless you just have a disdain for Nintendo.

Entertainment is subjective after all.

I just dont understand mario games I dont grow up with mario I dont have any fond memories or nostalgia playing such simple archaic game. Everytime I got a chance to play the series I probably only able to last 2 stages before I get bored and just go outside for some sun over continuing this shit series. As a game, nothing is worst than not able to catch attention of players and mario games managed to that to me lmao.

Same with Zelda I just dont grow up with it. Actually extend this to every Zelda with that top down view, the time I around to play it it felt dated as hell why would people play this over something like chrono trigger or whatever else. Nostalgia bullshit the only reason Zelda games somehow rated highly.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38931 Posts

Maybe resident evil 4 remaster. Not the remake, but the remaster. On consoles, the controls were so unacceptable that i just stopped playing the game within 40 minutes. God damn controls were trash back then.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Outdated? Hmm, games that are praised on graphics or having an openworld usually 'feel' extremely dated. When a game fails to function from something as basic as player inputs, and fun gameplay, that is dated.

As a result The Witcher III felt dated on release, and now it's only more noticable that the honeymoon period is over for even the most diehard fan. Has horrible input control and unresponsive movement, and a lot of that all inbetween. If you command Geralt to turn 360, the avatar will just shrug his shoulder one side. That's unresponsive controls and very, very outdated. Weighted controls is something from old Atari games that have not held up well. Don't feed me the "plays flawlessly on P.C." bull either I've played it on P.C. TW3 is an excellent game for what it aimed to achieve, an immersive world filled with well written quests. TW3 just isn't a smooth gameplay darling, cope.

The mentioned Dark Souls, Shovel Knight, Pac-Man (DX Champions is one of my favorite games ever) and OG Resident Evil 4 don't really feel outdated to me. Clunky, I could understand being phrased. Even Dragon's Dogma II is pretty clunky, as they do mechanics and design decisions different to the norm, throwing the player off familiarity. I'd call that process a learning curve. Monster Hunter has a steep learning curve and is the best gaming franchise around.

Now The Evil Within (the first one) did suffer a lot from input controls and being fairly unresponsive, so while I like the game, it is very outdated (mechanically similar flaws to TW3). I can't defend bad gameplay that is similar to how games use to be in retro times. Luckily the sequel TEW2 fixed a ton of the first games failings, mechanically. My main reason for loving TEW is just how much Tango understood Survival Horror and item placement/ limit pick-ups. TEW is poorly designed in many aspects, yet it is also brilliant in others for fans of the genre. Chapter 9 is one of my favorite acts in any video game ever as a result.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26103 Posts

Starfield comes to mind, a 2023 game that looks, feels, and plays like a game released in 2016.

However, the OP is confusing valid and smart game design choices with outdated-ness, because maybe a few games from different unrelated genres today play different.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 285 Posts

Pong's probably the most ancient relic I've played other games from same decade like missile command,centipede and crystal castles have aged pretty well

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alexander2cents

@hardwenzen: The Wii version is better anyway. The vanilla PC version is not good.