Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Particlebit
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

Here's a list (source):

#1: Mainstay Atmospheric Horror You Must Play: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Although it may have become the quintessential must-play horror game, Amensia set the standard for what atmospheric horror games should be all about. Building off the Penumbra series, Frictional Games hit a sweet spot with graphical quality, story, and scare. Amnesia is a first-person horror puzzle-solving game, where the protagonist wakes up in a large mansion and must piece everything back together. The key mechanic is that you are completely defenseless. That’s right, no weapons, no fighting – only running into small dark spaces in order to avoid the monsters that lurk in the Gothic mansion you must navigate. Oh, and by the way, the longer you stay in the dark, the worse your “sanity” gets.

In addition to being defenseless, Amnesia further increases the tension by forcing you to manage the little supply of oil and torchlight you can find. If you spend too long in the dark, “things” start to happen and your sanity slowly slips. Making sure to light the way to and from locations while solving the puzzles of the mansion is critical.

Similar games to try: Penumbra series, Amnesia: Machine For Pigs, Alien: Isolation

#2: Cheap, Quick Scares You Make Your Friends Play: Five Nights At Freddy’s

Another perennial YouTube favorite, Five Nights At Freddy’s bases its horror on pure jump scares. The basic premise of the game is that you are a new night time security guard at a pizza restaurant in the vein of Chuck E Cheese. You sit in the “command center” with the only goal of surviving each successive night. What could be in a pizza place that is so scary? Animatronics. The robotic life-like animals at this particular establishment are alive, and come to life at night to “have fun.”

Similar games to try: This series has become an annual tradition (with low prices to boot) and so you should move to the sequels to get your fill.

#3. Old School Atmospheric Scare: System Shock 2

System Shock 2 is not a traditional horror game. However, it has become an iconic game and not just because it was the launching pad for the Bioshock series. System Shock 2 was an all-around great game and, while dated, merits a playthrough for the more atmospheric horror fans.

System Shock is a first-person scifi experience where you must fight all manner of enemies on a spaceship, before fighting foes much bigger than yourself. This is the game that set the standard for creating tension with the need to scavenge for ammo and weapons to defend yourself. While Bioshock remains one of my all time favorite games, I have to respect System Shock for laying the groundwork.

Similar games to try: Bioshock series

#4. Underrated (With Most Unique Scare) Horror Game: Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem

Eternal Darkness gets lost in the shuffle when discussing horror games. I chalk this up to its release on the Gamecube, combined with the lack of commercial success after its release. However, it has slowly become a bit of a cult classic, with some of the most unique techniques to cause scares in any game.

The game revolves around third-person exploration and action combat done spanning multiple time periods. Playable characters span the time from the Roman era to (then – 2002) present day. The main character is in a hub world, and the player goes through each time period as a chapter, slowly accumulating different magical essence that can be used to fight and solve puzzles.

The truly unique, and terrifying, aspect of the game are the sanity effects. Similar to Amnesia, the player must manage their sanity as given in an on-screen meter. Reduction in sanity has many effects, such as hearing strange noises, seeing additional monsters that aren’t actually there, and increasingly distorted camera angles. Perhaps most frightening are the actual physical and technical changes the sanity makes in real life. These are the truly unsettling effects and are a big spoiler if you plan to play (so stop here if you do!). While I don’t know why this has not been repeated by subsequent games, the game actually produces fake error messages, turns your tv on and off, and fakes a console shutdown. It even has a fake blue screen of death. If the player doesn’t undertake to correct the (fake) error, the game goes right back to playing. I always found this aspect fascinating, albeit a bit risky if players actually reset the console.

Similar games to try: Silent Hill

#5. Small Demo Turned Legend: P.T.

One day, PS4 owners were silently given what turned out to be the greatest demo of all time – PT. P.T. stands for “playable teaser” and ultimately that is sadly all we’ll ever get. A creation of Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, the game was a reboot of Silent Hill to be named Silent Hills (very creative), but was discontinued after Konami completed decimated its video game activities in favor of mobile and pachinko. However, if you are one of the lucky few who downloaded the game for free (its no longer available on the PS store), then you are in for a treat.

Similar games to try: Hopefully a spiritual successor wherever Kojima lands.

What other ones do you think there are?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

My two favorite horror games are Silent Hill 3 and Cry of Fear. Both of their atmospheres do exactly what I love about horror. They make you feel fear itself, and let you experience what it's like. the encroaching dread, the unnameable feeling that personifies fear that is almost impossible to describe in words simply because it's such a primal thing. Both are games I would recommend to anyone who truly appreciates horror. They are both lacking in jump scares, but damn their atmospheres are brilliant and still get to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59380 Posts

I like that Shadow Chernobyl has horror sections punctuating the game, rather than the entirety, it gives them an organic sense of place than e.g. Resident Evil in which you will come across a creature every 2-3 rooms for 5+ hours

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Parasite Eve is definitely unique, but not scary

Fatal Frame series is unique also, and scary

zorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 zorine
Member since 2005 • 2330 Posts

Woohoo horror games! Great list so far too. Absolutely agree with P.T. I would also have to say Fatal Frame 2 definitely deserves a play, and seconding the Silent Hill 3 recommendation.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Zorine: Glad that Silent Hill 3 is one you love. IMO, Silent Hill 2's story is far superior, but in terms of being scary, SH3 is just on a whole different level. There's so much subtlety in it and it's just so twisted. I love it.

Also, still need to find a way to play Fatal Frame 2. Been wanting to for years, but I don't own an original Xbox so I've never had the opportunity to play it sadly. Which sucks because I'm a huge fan of well done J horror.

zorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 zorine
Member since 2005 • 2330 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: Interesting, I somehow missed the boat on SH2 but I think I need to go back and play it over the break. Definitely agree about being SH3 being really sick and twisted. Disturbing stuff. That game knows just how to unnerve me.

Fatal Frame 1/2 are also on the PS2, if you have one around! It was released in the West a while back but I think the games have aged pretty well.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 turtlethetaffer

@Zorine: Wait you haven't played Silent Hill 2? Get on that. It's brilliant.

And yeah I don't have a PS2 either, sadly. Been wanting to buy one for a while though.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JamesGoblin
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

I enjoyed the old Pathologic, circa 2005 ("old" since the sequel should be out next year, I guess!?). It's not so much about shock and horror, but rather about the heavy, sick atmosphere that follows you constantly throughout the game.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#11 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

the Penumbra series, from the makers of Amnesia

or Cryostasis

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Zorine: Wait you haven't played Silent Hill 2? Get on that. It's brilliant.

And yeah I don't have a PS2 either, sadly. Been wanting to buy one for a while though.

Yeah, 2 is considered by most everyone I've ever spoken to (including myself) as the best game in the series. The story is amazing, the gameplay among the best of the series, and a series of different endings that are determined by your behavior during your playsession rather then responses to binary choices. 2 > 1 > 3 > Shattered Memories > Downpour > Homecoming > The Room (You're tearing me apart, Lisa!).

Amnesia: The Dark Descent I definitely agree with.

Some of the early Clock Tower games were pretty interesting. They were among the first "you can't fight the monster" style horror games.

Eternal Darkness for Gamecube was awesome. Not the scariest game, but the sanity effects (things the game would do to mess with you if your chracter's sanity got too low) made this a memorable game for most.

Fatal Frame 1 and (especially) 2 were also great.

Resident Evil: Outbreak 1 and 2. Unique co-op multiplayer on the PS2 and among the first games to use the PS2 Hard Drive.

System Shock 1 and 2.

-Byshop

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

The original F.E.A.R. was pretty good. Firstly because it managed to fuse horror into a military shooter and secondly because it's one of the few examples where Japanese horror styles have been successfully implemented into a western video game.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

@Gammit10: And most recently, SOMA was also pretty good in my book. Well worth a playthrough.

I've always liked the Condemned franchise. Formaly, Condemned: Criminal Origins (2005), to its sequel Bloodshot. I really hope that Monolith Productions picks it up soon again.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, hands down has the most adrenaline-pumping chase section ever.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Metallic_Blade said:

@Gammit10: And most recently, SOMA was also pretty good in my book. Well worth a playthrough.

I've always liked the Condemned franchise. Formaly, Condemned: Criminal Origins (2005), to its sequel Bloodshot. I really hope that Monolith Productions picks it up soon again.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, hands down has the most adrenaline-pumping chase section ever.

I'm an idiot for not mentioning CoC:DCotE because it was certainly on my mind as I was typing out my post. While it got a little "action heavy" by the end, the first half was a great survival horror/mystery game with an awesomely designed game engine (no hud, sanity effects, type specific injuries that required specific supplies for each).

Oh, and Alan Wake. Definitely worth a mention.

-Byshop