Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

No spoilers please!!!

Hey folks, I know this is super random, but I'm playing Prey now and wanted to share some thoughts after playing for about 10 hours and hear yours as well.

I started the game on normal and was really struggling after about 7 hours of playtime so I restarted and just got back to where I left off the first time.

I really like the games's story, writing, graphics/artstyle, and atmosphere. Combat and ai is ok. My biggest gripe- and why I felt like I needed to start over- the game seems to want to go for the usual "pick your playstyle/build" but like pretty much every game that has tried this, combat is just too important. If you put your upgrades into other stuff you might really struggle after awhile.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Take my opinion with ten grains of salt, because A) I can't enjoy the System Shock formula despite trying many times and B) I am a fan of the original Prey and was really pissed off when they slapped the title on a completely unrelated project (because it sounded cool), but I couldn't force myself to play Prey 2017 past the first 5 hours. The story failed to intrigue me, the combat failed to be exciting due to the wimpy stat-based guns, the main gimmick with the mimics annoyed me more than it thrilled me, the crafting felt like busywork, especially with the inventory tetris, and the game design felt like aimless wandering through environments that all look the same.

I did like the smashable glass though: some of the best I've seen in an FPS, and props to them for making a game with an old school environment-altering signature weapon after it has gone out of fashion.

It's just not a game for me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11690 Posts

Read mostly positive things about Prey despite the short length and lack of variety.

Haven't played it myself, came out upon a time window another game I was very excited for out-shadowed it. May one day play Prey though. Hope it's not as the above mentions.

Am personally not a fan of System Shock (2, the hyped one) for one main reason. The RNG is really felt playing the game. Games that not only restrict how you play, but also make it dependant, are honestly weak game design.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59309 Posts

Good level design, interesting art direction, multiple ways to tackle objectives.

Unfortunately it lacked much of the atmosphere of something like System Shock and the enemies (goo monsters) were relatively boring, annoyances.

And that's the problem in general, alot of it isn't engaging. It's a game you can admire, but feel coldly distant towards.

This was never a problem System Shock 1/2 had.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

It's good but I'd still prefer a sequel to the original.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I was confused.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I really like it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10544 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Good level design, interesting art direction, multiple ways to tackle objectives.

Unfortunately it lacked much of the atmosphere of something like System Shock and the enemies (goo monsters) were relatively boring, annoyances.

And that's the problem in general, alot of it isn't engaging. It's a game you can admire, but feel coldly distant towards.

This was never a problem System Shock 1/2 had.

this sums it up well. it really does lack atmosphere and the enemies were just not much fun to battle or out wit.

the bolded sentence only became apparent to me over time. at first i was drawn in by arkane's great attention to detail and creativity in gameplay, but i just couldn't grow to love it, despite desperately wanting to as an unashamed dishonored fanboy.

6.5/10

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

System Shock 2 is a masterpiece. Played Bioshock which is supposed to be a spiritual successor but it sucked ass. I hear a lot of people say Prey is a better spiritual successor in comparison so I've been interested in trying it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Refunded it I was turned off by the art direction and tone I really just wanted Prey 2 E3 2011 version.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@doomnukem3d said:

System Shock 2 is a masterpiece. Played Bioshock which is supposed to be a spiritual successor but it sucked ass. I hear a lot of people say Prey is a better spiritual successor in comparison so I've been interested in trying it.

Maybe try Bioshock 2, I thought it was far better.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DoomNukem3D

@uninspiredcup: Huh I've mostly heard it's a disappointing sequel so I didnt even consider it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup

@doomnukem3d: Once Upon A Time In The West and The Godfather II had a mixed reception on release, then people woke up.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I thought it was great. One of the few games in recent memory I actually finished.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DoomNukem3D

@uninspiredcup: The Godfather II had mixed reception?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9432 Posts

One of my top games of 2017.

• Arkane's level design is top-notch, both overall and per-area.
  • I love how you start out helpless and need to creep around until you can build your character a bit.
  • I like the art style, maybe not a grungy as it could have been, but that's Arkane's style.
  • Diverse skill tree allows for a few different play throughs
  • Really like the NPC 'stories' hidden around - using the security terminals as a way of finding people was fun
  • Interesting 'non-weapons' allow you to manipulate the environment and enhance Arkane's level design even further.
  • I liked the enemy designs, but agree there could have been a bit more variety. That said, they were very intimidating especially in the early game so I think they had the desired effect.

I did 2 playthroughs. One focusing on guns and one on alien powers. Both were a lot of fun.

Highly recommend.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

It was alright for me but I lost interest because there are other games that cater for me. That said I really did enjoy it quite a lot especially at the start of the game.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I recently bought it. I've heard a lot of good things and read a lot of positive reviews about it so I'm expecting it to be good. It's next on my list most likely.