Do you think Gamespot is horrible?

wareagle2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think Gamespot is horrible? (67 votes)

Yes 43%
No 57%

Like it’s very frustrating to watch a video always, and the reviewers base their scores on things that you could care less about or boring and read the same.

• 
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#1 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

No, I still enjoy the site. I admittedly prefer the content on Giantbomb by a significant margin, but I like the way this site itself is set up a little more.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Apart from the forum I wouldn't know, I never explore anything else on the site.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I got a bit antsy about juvenile or dismissive comments and got quite annoyed early on. I've been on the forum about 5 months and been banned 3 times already. I thought I was permabanned!

But then I remembered I'm talking 1) to people much younger than me and 2) this is the internet. Then I mellowed out a little bit and learnt that if you start a thread trying to bash the snes it will be locked without a stated reason.

Otherwise it's ok. The performance of the javascript though is very poor and is one of the slowest websites I visit.

But overall I gave it a yes.

EDIT: Oh the website not the forum!

Yeah Gamespot used to be my go to website for games stories about 10 years ago. Now it's a mess from a presentational standpoint which I put lot of stock into. It's like, do I read a glossy magazine or some cheap pamphlet someone copied themselves on a laser printer? I would go to IGN for game stories now.

Also the stories are utterly bland. Go to Rock Paper Shotgun for interesting or well written articles. It does feel a bit like buzzfeed. Very stock internet website really. The forums are completely nuts though!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59056 Posts

Very click-baity, buzzfeed now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Like I've said a few times here before, I still like GameSpot (I do still visit, after all); I just don't know how many more years this will go on for.

When they went to the trouble of updating GS a few years back, I think they overlooked a lot of things that could have made the new layout better than it is. They modernized GS and made it into a full-on entertainment website, but in the process a lot of user options and features kind of fell by the wayside or were an afterthought.

If I had a button I could press to delete every single blog entry I've made in an instant, that would be nice. If blogs worked the way they used to and were featured, that would increase user interest. It's stupid that following other users and following games adds them to the same list.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#6 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1583 Posts

The site isn't perfect, but it's also not terrible either. It's above average, but i would like to see the ads on the videos removed. It's a huge put off and makes me watch less and less videos. I do miss certain shows on here from a few years ago like Skryims top 5 mods and the one with the guy with the glasses going on about random things. I can't remember it, but i believed it had a slight mexican theme to it or something. The guy went nuts with everyone over people threatening a staff member because they didn't agree with his or her score for a game released ages ago

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I havent watched a review from a 'game review site' is years. they are all full of crap

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I use Google Chrome and turned the annoying vids off on this site. I scratch my head at some of the reviews here, but that's normal I guess. I highly prefer certain things in games, or I don't really enjoy them.

LimitlessHalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By LimitlessHalf
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

I used to laugh at the timeline of disparity in review scores. The forums are pretty relaxed, compared to other gaming forums, so they've got that going for them.

Last I remember, a review would have a starting minimum score based on visual quality. A POS game visually would start at a minimum of 5, while a good game visually would start at a minimum of 7. After that, no matter how horrible the actual game was, it wouldn't go below that base score.

However, I hadn't been on for a few months and apparently things changed! Read a review yesterday about Conan Exiles looking awesome, having awesome content, yet somehow totally sucking, and it got a score of 3.

On a side note, I always assumed GameSpot was the bigger, more corporate controlled gaming website out of the list of websites it is attached to. Maybe I was wrong? Though typically a community and/or volunteer moderated website or game would still have more, consistency.

Either way, I like the website in general and I appreciate the ability to complain about pretty much anything without feeling the ban hammer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59056 Posts

Noticed they've started randomly removing user-comments and added a "no tolerance" warning above the comments section.

Starting to think they might not like us.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They copy content from much greater individuals.

They have the dumb auto play.

Oh, and they've gotten quite SJW-y.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#12 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

It's not horrible, but it's a shell of its former self. Forums and Unions were the life blood of this website 10 years ago, then they neutered them and went the Buzzfeed route. The content is lacking, I much prefer Giantbomb and IGN for actual gaming news.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I do the same thing....

@thehig1 said:

Apart from the forum I wouldn't know, I never explore anything else on the site.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@undefined: I think GS is a good site. Shame many of the older reviewers have gone. Kevin Vanord was probably the best reviewer.

There are problems with GS! The whole Potato Mode thing was really annoying, some of the articles are clearly click bait and wholly pointless.

But despite that, I think they provide decent independent review of games (although sometimes controversial such as the review of the new Tomb Raider game).

I used to read IGN, but after watching a video where two members of staff basically insulted people who wrote comments found on Amazon, I stopped reading their site and ignored all the videos that appear on YouTube.

Eurogamer is also quite good and I enjoy Digital Foundry. Actually, I would welcome GS doing some technical articles regarding performance, frame rates and etc... and maybe more feature type articles or videos!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I dont mind the site, the message boards though are WAY to cluttered with trolls and lets be honest, idiots. I'm sure system wars was fun at some point, but watching 40 and 50 year old man babies post meme after meme back and forth and attacking the plastic box they don't like is really pathetic and old now.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Well, they’ve had better days.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

I vote no. Gamespot is not horrible. Its one of the better spots for talking about gaming hence the reason why its called gamespot.

ganondorf77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 ganondorf77
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

Paid reviews, movies that do appear at all are biased because ignorance 90% of the time although it's claimed that it's because they are sci-fi, comics or fantasy related... I still don't get why I keep coming back. 90% of pc articles that appear at all times are regarding every single crap added to fortnight or other live service games.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

I have been with GameSpot from their very beginning when they were a good site with good content and good reviewers. The site is junk now.

LaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LaP
Member since 2002 • 17786 Posts

It's not what it used to be that's for sure ... they used to be THE place for gaming content back in the 90ies and early 2k. Then they started to give 9 to pretty much every Activision games and fired Jeff for a Mario review and eventually Greg left and things went downhill from there. Now it's just a generic ZDnet web site for boomers stuck in the web 2.0 era.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I've been browsing this website since the year 2002 and enjoyed reading info about video games.

Whatever I've read I kept in mind it's from one person.