Who Is The Best Final Fantasy VII Character?

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Who do you think the best Final Fantasy VII character is? They all have something about them that makes them awesome, but which one of these nine characters is really the best of the best when it comes to characters who can be in your party?

Metallinatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2 Metallinatus
Member since 2014 • 1113 Posts

How is Sephiroth not an option? The guy is a freaking celebrity....

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@metallinatus: Because he can't join your party, he's the main antagonist. Put him in a question like this with other bad ass enemies such as Vaas and Handsome Jack and he'd probably have a good shot to win.

Metallinatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Metallinatus

@suicidesn0wman: The poll is not "who is your favorite hero", but "who is your favorite character in FF VII".... so Sephiroth could have gone in there.... and he would have big chances of winning.

I wouldn't have voted on him btw, but he is a big miss in a poll like that.

Grim_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grim_Jackal
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts
@metallinatus said:

@suicidesn0wman: The poll is not "who is your favorite hero", but "who is your favorite character in FF VII".... so Sephiroth could have gone in there.... and he would have big chances of winning.

I wouldn't have voted on him btw, but he is a big miss in a poll like that.

It's perfectly clear it's talking about characters that can be in your party. Good lord, there's only two sentences.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@metallinatus: Read the fine print, I felt the exact same as you and chose not to vote instead.

Metallinatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Metallinatus

@suicidesn0wman: I read what he wrote, but what he wrote is just not what the poll is asking....

I may be nitpicking here, but I felt like he was a huge miss when the poll itself is asking for the "best" character only....

They should have just worded the poll better I guess.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

I went with Vincent Valentine but it was a tough choice as Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris are great characters as well.

Toni_Makato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toni_Makato
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

@GameSpot: Should have done Final Fantasy IV or do them in order slightly. Would have liked to see each Final Fantasy redone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Probably Barrett, but I was pretty fond of RedXIII as well

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

About the playable Final Fantasy VII team, there are a few reasons that I shall mention as to why it does not feel right to vote for any one character, in particular. Firstly, the game design of FFVII promotes interchangeability of characters in your party, so none of them are definitely better than others, strategically, if the player continually works on leveling up the team. Also, weapon, armor, and materia customization facilitate the framework for balanced builds. Secondly, other than Aerith, Cait Sith, and Tifa, the characters all grow, similarly, with each character going through a process of a traumatic experience following with a sense of encumbrance with their perceived woes of the world as the additional weight to their natural posturing and show their desperation to recover from their experiences through their neuroticism. Additionally, Aerith is an archetypal character, derived from the Cetra race, that all of the others characters strive to emulate after her physical death due to Sephiroth. Plus, Tifa acts the same as she does from the earliest age we see her in the game, but even she goes through a traumatic experience, though she handles it more gracefully than the others. Contrarily, Cait Sith sees the value in siding with Cloud's team without going through any sort of traumatic experience.

Thirdly, they all go through a process of realization that they need to save their planet and succeed in doing so with no one character intellectually growing more than any of the others. Cloud's victory in the final battle against Sephiroth, alone, gives him a sense of closure, but it also does the same for the others. At least, I would hope so in order to keep the quality of the story greater than the others not experiencing fulfillment due to not getting the last kill (I am thinking about the Gears of War multiplayer concept as I write this).

The strength of characters is their character. Outfits and battle potential are both weak ways to support the characters because they can both be compared with others or defeated by nefarious means.

I suppose that if I had to pick one character, it would be Cait Sith. That character is similar to many users on the internet, acting in anonymity. However, he is outstanding because despite not being an in-person participant, he decides to change his ways from that of a Shinra spy, originally seeking only to benefit his organization which comes at the cost of his planet, to help other people. It sends a good message about what people are capable of in anonymity.

LesserAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 LesserAngel
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

I like Cid the most, but I have to go with Aeris. Story wise, she did more to save the planet than just about anyone else, even, no, especially after she died.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

@metallinatus: I tried to be a clear as possible that this was for playable characters (re: which one of these nine characters is really the best of the best when it comes to characters who can be in your party?). Didn't quite fit in the promo image though. Also, why assume I'm a he? :P

@LesserAngel:You're awesome for including a spoiler tag for something that old.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#14 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

I have to go with Cloud, reason: very simple...I just like swords :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I have to choose Cloud just because his Limit is the most useful to me. Close second is Tifa then Aeris. I hated Vincent Limit as you loose control

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Cid, godaaaaammm teaaaaaaa

purrjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 purrjo
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

I've always loved Yuffie, I've always liked energetic girl characters like her. Cait Sith is also cool.

CrazyWiiUFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrazyWiiUFan
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

Aeris

- and her ghost -

Sennaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Sennaris
Member since 2003 • 77 Posts

Red XIII and Vincent should be the only viable options. Those are some cool mother fuckers.

Jimbowesker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

User Lists: 4

#21 Jimbowesker
Member since 2009 • 996 Posts

While Cid isn't my personal favorite of the characters (I'm more of a Red XIII kinda guy), I felt that in sheer power and damage done to enemies on a normal basis, Cid takes the lead as his spear Limit Breaks are devastating.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts
@Sennaris said:

Red XIII and Vincent should be the only viable options. Those are some cool mother fuckers.

*casts master level 80 thread resurrection spell*

@Jimbowesker said:

While Cid isn't my personal favorite of the characters (I'm more of a Red XIII kinda guy), I felt that in sheer power and damage done to enemies on a normal basis, Cid takes the lead as his spear Limit Breaks are devastating.

*casts novice level 22 thread resurrection spell*