Fire Emblem: Awakening is incredibly difficult

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#1 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

This has been the first Fire Emblem game that I haven't had fun playing.

I decided to play on hard mode since I have beaten all the other FE games, and my God, it's HARD.  I'm only on Chapter 5 and I've already lost two characters so far, and the chapter I'm on I can't even get a few turns into without losing more characters.  I'm actually going to have to start the game over on Normal because this is seriously just too difficult, and I'm an experienced FE veteran!  Have I just lost my luster, or it this game hard for everyone else too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Hard mode kicked my ass too, and this is after I finished the game on normal. It pretty much scared me away from the idea of ever doing lunatic. After you hit chater 5, the outrealm gate opens, giving you grinding opportunity to even the odds.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
have a friend playing this and he loves it. I'd pick it up if I owned a 3DS, probably.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Really? I like that I keep hearing this 'cause I didn't have much trouble with hard. :P Lunatic on the other hand...

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I had problems with some chapters, and I'm doing my first playthrough on Hard. Here's my advice: USE THE SUPPORTS AND PAIR UPS. Awakening doesnt have a limit on the amount of times you can support! Pair-ups not only protect one character, but give it exp and support possibilities as well. Also, the fighting unit in a pair up gets stat bonuses. Take advantage of StreetPass to find teams to grind on. Find the select amount of characters you want to powerlevel until you collect a good band of memebers you really like so you dont waste EXP oppurtunities.

I'm also an FE veteran and this is the first game where I let a character die (Maribelle, I hear she's the only one not worth it) and not restart the chapter. Its difficult, but not impossible.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It has been a very long time since I came across a game that's as challenging as FE:A. I seriously cannot remember the last time AI kicked my ass over and over. Hard mode doesn't mess around. Normal is pretty balanced, while still providing some challenge. I haven't even touched Lunatic.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
there were a few problem spots in hard mode, but overall it was just right for me. I tried lunatic in the demo before release, and I'm not going near it ever again :P
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I avoid hard difficulties, because I tend to curse alot when frustrated, & my Mother doesn't like that... So...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's weird I hear some say it's easy, some say it's hard. I think hard difficulty is just the right challenge.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Normal is easy, hard is normal, lunatic is real hard and lunatic+ will make everyone cry.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
I beat the Japanese version on normal and it was way to easy. Played through the American version on hard mode felt like normal to me. Lunatic is a good challenge and Lunatic+ is an artifically stack bull**** difficulty mode which the enemies are all super powered with the best abilities. If you're having trouble buy the DLC as on anything but Lunatic+ it'll make you a beast.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

Normal is easy, hard is normal, lunatic is real hard and lunatic+ will make everyone cry.King_Dodongo

^^^ Truth. 

halfmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 halfmask
Member since 2010 • 240 Posts

I did my share of restarting. :P A fair amount of chapters I got through the first time without losing any characters, and after beating the final chapter I think if I'd played the game on Normal difficulty it would've been too easy. I find Hard is challenging but not in the "frustrating" zone. Lunatic, on the other hand, so far seems to be sitting dangerously on the fence between "very challenging" and "frustrating"... I dread seeing what Lunatic+ is like.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

I feel I should have played on Hard, but at least playing on Normal the first time has given me an idea of who I want to use for a Hard and (possibly) a Lunatic run. I'm at the point where I've used Master Seals on all my main characters that started to reach level 15-20 of their starting class and can basically march a support pair into a whole army and watch them come out with a few scratches of single digit damage. It's getting to the point where I could only lose a unit if I was trying. 

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I have no idea how it works. I have the game but haven't started it... do you guys think I should try easy?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I have no idea how it works. I have the game but haven't started it... do you guys think I should try easy?rubber-chicken
Normal should be fine, as long as your careful.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, and I have no idea how it works. I have the game but haven't started it... do you guys think I should try easy?darkspineslayer
Normal should be fine, as long as your careful.

There is no Easy. lol

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Hard mode kicked my ass too, and this is after I finished the game on normal. It pretty much scared me away from the idea of ever doing lunatic. After you hit chapter 5, the outrealm gate opens, giving you grinding opportunity to even the odds.

Exactly this. But I tried lunatic first because I thought I was all machismo- couldn't beat the prologue chapter- couldn't even make it to the third turn! Now I switch back and forth between my Hard save(ch 5) and my Normal game which I use mainly to grind gold for forging awesome weapons and work on perfecting my characters' skill sets. I want my spotpass team to be at least a tough fight, but also have the really cool gear they'll keep calling me back for.
have a friend playing this and he loves it. I'd pick it up if I owned a 3DS, probably.Allicrombie
If you're any kind of fan of RPGs or turn-based strategy, this game is totally worth buying the system for. I've got something like 130 hours recorded, closer to 150 by the activity log.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Really? I like that I keep hearing this 'cause I didn't have much trouble with hard. :P Lunatic on the other hand...

Pixel-Perfect

Same. Hard seemed about right. Lunatic, well it's insane...

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#20 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Hard was a little more difficult than Easy mode on Sacred Stones, I thought. The one thing about it though is it starts out really, really hard and kind of gets easier from there. I was getting beat down early on but as you progress, you get more and more opportunities to grind out a few levels and by the end of the game on hard mode, I got to the point where I was actually passing up opportunities to grind because I didn't need them.

Definitely, the advice to use your pair ups and relationships is a good. By the end of the game, I basically paired up everyone I could. It is much easier to keep track of six sets of pairs than twelve individual characters and they are toughter to kill too. The main thing that was getting me early on was I'd overlook the position of some weaker character and they'd get wailed on and die so I'd have to restart.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I'm playing the game on Hard now and I didn't really find the first couple chapters that bad.  I decided that I was only going to use Chrom and Avatar (and Lissa for healing obviously) and I just paired people to them and didn't bother using anyone else until other characters I wanted showed up.  It's really the chapters to get those "extra characters" that are screwing me over. 

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It's not as hard as Radiant Dawn. That game was impenetrable for me as my introduction to the series. It wasn't until I gave Sacred Stones a try (thanks to the Ambassador Program) that I was finally able to understand how these games work.

The pairing system in Awakening makes a huge difference, as does the ability to see all danger/safe areas with the press of a single button. Radiant Dawn also has a nasty habit of sending reinforcements in almost every mission. Awakening does that much less, and when it does, it usually lets you block their arrival.

Even the combat window in Awakening makes battle decisions a little bit easier. What used to be the basic setting is now the advanced setting, and there's an even more basic and less intimidating setting for newcomers. And being able to switch weapons in the combat window is such a small but helpful improvement.

All of that stuff makes Awakening so much easier to play than Sacred Stones or Radiant Dawn, even though I'm playing this one on Classic Hard. It's going to make going back to those games REALLY frustrating.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

It's not as hard as Radiant Dawn. That game was impenetrable for me as my introduction to the series. It wasn't until I gave Sacred Stones a try (thanks to the Ambassador Program) that I was finally able to understand how these games work.

The pairing system in Awakening makes a huge difference, as does the ability to see all danger/safe areas with the press of a single button. Radiant Dawn also has a nasty habit of sending reinforcements in almost every mission. Awakening does that much less, and when it does, it usually lets you block their arrival.

Even the combat window in Awakening makes battle decisions a little bit easier. What used to be the basic setting is now the advanced setting, and there's an even more basic and less intimidating setting for newcomers. And being able to switch weapons in the combat window is such a small but helpful improvement.

All of that stuff makes Awakening so much easier to play than Sacred Stones or Radiant Dawn, even though I'm playing this one on Classic Hard. It's going to make going back to those games REALLY frustrating.

JordanElek

Radiant Dawn is ridiculous.  If you play it on normal it's not bad, but with the (stupid) way they paced the game with the different stories it did make planning things out very difficult.  But you had Ike, so by default you get a tank that can basically solo the game. 

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
If you have beaten FE5, you would not feel this is hard.
Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
I've played through on normal for my first go, it was on the easy side. Still I'm busy studying and wanted something to pick up and play, feel accomplished, and go back to studying. Its really worked out so far. I bet I'll go through on hard once I'm freed up a bit.