Realistically speaking is Xenoblade worth the premium price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 0

#1 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I finally got my Wii hooked up to the TV.  It's been two years, I was lazy, but finally bought the Wii2HDMI converter and I'm in business.  Got copies of Skyward Sword and The Last Story to finish up the collection of Wii games I want (and maybe Pandora's Tower, the jury's out on that one at the moment).

Xenoblade Chronicles is a game that I want, but is it worth the $90 asking price on GameStop and Ebay?  How essential is it to my library?  Is it worth the $90 asking price or should I hold out and hope for a reprint?

I'm certain I'd enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles, but I also typically don't pay more than $20 for a game and with the various Steam sales and Humble Bundle deals on the PC end of things I rarely even go that high.  Basically, is this game such a genuine classic that I need to experience it or should I just pass up on it and go for the next RPG that comes around?

Also, let me know about Pandora's Tower if you guys have played it.  I doubt that one's essential but I'm also certain it can be found dirt cheap, hopefully cheaper once I beat Skyward Sword and The Last Story.

Thanks for any replies.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
Many will say yes, including me, some will say no. The game is amazing, there is a reason it has been called the best JRPG of this generation by quite a few critics. It's not without it's flaws, but it really is an extremely well made game. If you love RPGs it's worth it to take the plunge, especially since you can always resell it online for as much or more than you bought it for these days :P
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's definitely an amazing game, but not worth 90 bucks. For your sake I hope they reprint the game or you can find a cheaper copy elsewhere, but screw Gamestop and Ebay. It's definitely worth it at "full price" though, which is 50-60 bucks.

I'd say wait it out a bit as the recent influx of Gamestop copies might lower the price a tad on Ebay.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NeonNinja

It's definitely an amazing game, but not worth 90 bucks. For your sake I hope they reprint the game or you can find a cheaper copy elsewhere, but screw Gamestop and Ebay. It's definitely worth it at "full price" though, which is 50-60 bucks.

I'd say wait it out a bit as the recent influx of Gamestop copies might lower the price a tad on Ebay.

yokofox33

An excellent point.  Here's hoping it helps.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

yokofox33
Yeah do that. It is a fantastic game, but hopefully the price will settle down soon.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

I am not taking the risk.  If the price does go down which I doubt it will because Gamestop, when that happens it will be hard to find it again.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts

yokofox33
An unproven internet allegation that could be entirely coincidental is going to drive prices down when even if they have some extra copies it's likely not to be any number large enough to influence the market should keep people from buying it? Have fun explaining to people when the price goes even higher and they're out in the cold :P
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Given the length of the game, I would say most people would get their moneys worth at that price and a lot of people really like it. With the quality and price of games we have been getting on Steam though, I don't know, seems like you could get quite a bit for that $90. You could always save that money for the new Ys
LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#9 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

I think xenoblade is very likely to either get a reprint or more likely, a digital release on the Wii U. As for the 90$ price point? No, I wouldn't do it, at least not buy it from gametop. It's bad to support such behavior from retailers.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I don't know. I was willing to pay $50 for it. I personally think it's one of the best games this generation; however, I'm not sure if I would ever take the chance of buying and not liking it if I had to pay $90.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NeonNinja

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone.  It looks like I'll be holding off for now.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
its an amazing game...but not 90 quid amazing (i cant think of a game that is). SS and last story should keep you busy for a while. keep an eye out and if you see a copy for 50-60 then certainly do get it.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
TC, it's an amazing game. I'm in the middle of it right now and am completely engrossed! That being said, I don't think I can justify 90 bucks for any game. I'm like you, 20 to 30 bucks is what I shoot for unless it's a game I really want when it launches. I got lucky last November when someone on eBay sold me Xenoblade for 30 bucks. After that, I'll be on to Last Story since I hear it's short.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I bought the game back when it was $50, and I hate it. :( But of course, I'd want to keep it in my library for collector's purposes! :P
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, no it's not

It's a good game but it's completely awful in a lot of ways

Graphics? They're awful even for the Wii

Pacing? Completely atricious

A lot of people will say "well if you only own a Wii and you want an RPG" well that's crap, if you only have a Wii then you're so casual that the thought of the Wiimote being removed from the Wii wheel makes you lightheaded and you think RPG is what Arod took to get him suspended from baseball.

It's a bargain game with a premium price, the time it takes to play the game is time you can play many significantly better games to completion.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

No, no it's not

A lot of people will say "well if you only own a Wii and you want an RPG" well that's crap, if you only have a Wii then you're so casual that the thought of the Wiimote being removed from the Wii wheel makes you lightheaded and you think RPG is what Arod took to get him suspended from baseball.

It's a bargain game with a premium price, the time it takes to play the game is time you can play many significantly better games to completion.

Jaysonguy
I've gotta say I agree with a lot of this... the game just felt so cheap to me, and I know it's about the gameplay which I'm sure a lot of people liked, but just playing it was a chore for me.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Even if it was worth $90, don't buy it from Gamestop. Don't condone their shady practices.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

No, no it's not

Jaysonguy

And people like you are the reason RPGs suck now.  http://www.destructoid.com/xenoblade-chronicles-226518.phtml

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, no it's not

Sora278

And people like you are the reason RPGs suck now.  http://www.destructoid.com/xenoblade-chronicles-226518.phtml

That's a good article actually. It's what I've been assuming for a long time. Xenoblades graphics are fine. The art style is good and the story IMO is outstanding. Give me a good story and battle system over graphics any day.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#20 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Considering I tend to pay that price for pretty much all games (yay for living in a country where games are unreasonably overpriced), I would say it definitely is worth that price. :P

But seriously, it is a great game and one of the Wii's best games. And that's coming from someone who dislikes JRPGs in general.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'd say yes, though I'd wish you could get it at a better price. My first playthrough lasted me nearly 90hrs. In this case, you're getting $1/hr of gameplay - not bad at all considering many games this gen hardly scrape by the 30hr mark.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
[QUOTE="Sora278"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, no it's not

roboccs

That's a good article actually. It's what I've been assuming for a long time. Xenoblades graphics are fine. The art style is good and the story IMO is outstanding. Give me a good story and battle system over graphics any day.

ive said that myself basically before. i hope project X proves me wrong but i think xenoblade is more the last of its kind rather than any sort of renewal of JRPGs. technology (or to be more accurate the cost of meeting the expectations modern tech brings) is doing the games no favours. its not that a more modern platform couldnt run a stunning looking remake of FF7...its that it would cost square an obscene amount of money to actually do it properly (i,e, it would make rockstar blush). lets not talk about an even bigger game like crono trigger on the snes.....that would need to be a veyron type project.
remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#23 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

$90?

Short answer: Hell No

It was a good game, but definitely not worth past $39.99 at this point.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I LOVE Xenoblade, but I would take pause at paying $90 for it.  It is definitely a amazing game, and I could justify the price considering the game's quality and length, but if you're not sure you'll love it I don't think $90 is a fair price at all.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, no it's not

Sora278

I'm so glad you linked that.  I enjoyed reading it very much.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
ATTENTION People who want Xenoblade now, if you use this coupon code, you can get $15 off of anything over $60 on GameStop. The code is GUST15 and my source is the front page of Siliconera. enjoy, folks. And TC, get for this price, instead.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
$90 is a hell of an investment for a video game. I'd suggest watching some video playthroughs (like, a lot of video playthroughs) to see if it's something you think would be worth $90 to you.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Considering I tend to pay that price for pretty much all games (yay for living in a country where games are unreasonably overpriced), I would say it definitely is worth that price. :P

But seriously, it is a great game and one of the Wii's best games. And that's coming from someone who dislikes JRPGs in general.

Pierst179
God damn it Australia! I don't pay that much for every game now though ;) Not since I started importing.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, no it's not

Sora278

No, you're the reason we can't have nice things

It's insane that we can't have high production values and a good game at the same time.

You're one of those people that defended the Wii for years with the "it doesn't matter matter that the game looks like mud, it's how you CONTROL the mud"

Xenoblade had no business being on the Wii. You ever hear a dev say "now we finally have the hardware to make a game like I imagined"?

That should have been the thought behind Xenoblade. Someone should have had the smarts to say "oh this is going to look really bad and there's a new console on the way so maybe..."

Also the game looking awful doesn't fix pacing problems, that wasn't due to hardware limitations that was due to developer limitations.