MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

The definition of bilingual is being fluent in two languages. I myself am not, if we're going by that definition, but I have been studying German. I've slacked on it a bit these past two months, though I'm still getting in reviews here and there to keep it fresh in my mind. I find it incredibly fun to learn, and it's awesome when you can understand someone else or read it in whatever language you're studying.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts
@mycatismilk said:

The definition of bilingual is being fluent in two languages.

I suppose so then. Swedish (main) and English.

Almost feels like cheating though. Our schools make sure everyone speaks English. Also learned some Spanish in school, but remember very little.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Nope. Just English because I am English

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Yup. My mother tongue and English. I'd like to learn more languages like French and Japanese. Studied Korean a while ago but I need to get back to that.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45323 Posts
@omegamaster said:

Nope. Just English because I am English

G’day mate, have another shrimp on the barbie

certifieddata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 certifieddata
Member since 2007 • 46096 Posts

Almost but not quite, other than English I can understand and read Swedish, but can barely speak it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23952 Posts

Quadlingual.

Swedish
English
Italian
German

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#8 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

English and Mandarin. Even another ten years of learning wouldn't get me close to a native level of proficiency, but I can read, write and speak quite well.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16023 Posts

Nope. I do have a few verses in the Qur'an committed to memory, though (in arabic).

Askeladen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Askeladen
Member since 2022 • 6 Posts

Of course not.

I am like a duck (fly, run an swimming) but It can't do nothing Very well.

I can Just survive talking in English, Portuguese, Spanish and Japoneses.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Sort of. I'm fluent(ish) in English (can write, speak and read) [also work as a translator], but also I am capable of understanding Russian (thanks to many years of dub watching, but no thanks to my school teacher, who was an ass at teaching Russian), however, I am horrible at speaking it and I can more or less read kirilica, but with a, as my school teacher said one, like a Pole (even though, I'm not Polish. **** you, teacher), i.e., with an accent. And, in university, for three years I was learning German. So, I have the basics of it and can more or less understand day-to-day conversations, but that's about it. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again...

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Nope.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Used to speak OK French, but there isn't much chance to use it so it is mostly gone.

I often think about taking a refresher but, again, I wouldn't use it much so why bother?

@Litchie said:
@mycatismilk said:

Almost feels like cheating though. Our schools make sure everyone speaks English. Also learned some Spanish in school, but remember very little.

I wish our schools did that. Apparently kids are able to pick up languages really fast. If it was up to me they'd all learn spanish by the time they were 12. Or French, I guess? Idunno, spanish just makes the most sense though in the US.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 707 Posts

I speak Spanish, Portuguese, english, chinese fluently and (not very good) japanese.

My girlfriend is fluent in 6 languages. But she is more of a natural for learning languages.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Litchie

@mrbojangles25 said:

Used to speak OK French, but there isn't much chance to use it so it is mostly gone.

I often think about taking a refresher but, again, I wouldn't use it much so why bother?

@Litchie said:
@mycatismilk said:

I wish our schools did that. Apparently kids are able to pick up languages really fast. If it was up to me they'd all learn spanish by the time they were 12. Or French, I guess? Idunno, spanish just makes the most sense though in the US.

Yeah, I think all non-English speaking countries should teach English in schools. English-speaking countries should give kids opportunities to choose a second language, as we in Sweden get to choose a third when we get a little older, usually between German, French and Spanish.

We also don't dub everything, which helps to learn. Learned a lot of English from movies, cartoons, comic books, videogames.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie
@nirgal said:

I speak Spanish, Portuguese, english, chinese fluently and (not very good) japanese.

My girlfriend is fluent in 6 languages. But she is more of a natural for learning languages.

Holy shit. That's genius level.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

@Litchie said:
@nirgal said:

Holy shit. That's genius level.

Yeah it is.

I'm curious what led you and your girlfriend to speak so many languages @nirgal, if that isn't asking too much.

Apparently Viggo Mortensen is fluent in a lot of languages because his dad was Danish, mom American, and he lived abroad in Spanish-speaking countries.

Here's Count Dooku himself speaking five languages.

Loading Video...

I don't know what it is, but people that speak multiple languages just fascinate me. Makes me want to sit down with them and talk about it haha.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

@Litchie said:
@mycatismilk said:

Sweet brother. :P

Frankly I think that says enough about me.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

No, but I am bilingual curious.

Edit: Should have said "Not anymore." I was borderline fluent in German in high school.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

I understand Spanish but don't speak it and I speak English and can read and write.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 707 Posts

@mrbojangles25: as for my girlfriend, she just has a ridiculous memory and learns things much faster than normal people.

Other than that, it's just interest in languages and being hardworking. Also works for the UN, (but that is more a result of the language aptitude than a reason for it)

As for me, i am latin American, so Spanish is my first language, i took English at school so learned it there, i learned Portuguese at college (it's a latin language so it's easier for us Spanish speakers), and then lived in China for a long time where I learned mandarin.

Japanese is more like a hobby i am currently jlpt level 3 which is mid level, but nowhere near fluent.

I am Definitely not a genius, but I am a very consistent and devoted student.

Regarding my girlfriend, although she IS actually naturally very smart, she is also not a genius, but has a very gifted memory.