Everyone seems to hate the car I wanna buy.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

So I'm think about buying a car in the next 12 months or so (yes, I know about interests rates, leave that aside for this discussion). Nothing fancy, I can't afford fancy :P

I'm casting a wide net. I'm looking at anything from SUV's, to compacts, to sedans etc. #1 on my "dream" list (not really) was a Jeep. Like this one:

Well, according to the Internets (Kelly's Blue Book, US News), they suck :D

So, anyone here has first hand experience with one of these or similar?

I know they suck at MPG, but if that were the only drawback I might suck it up and go for it (or buy they electric version), but apparently this isn't the only con.

Help!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17669 Posts

Hmmm, heard good things about those. What are the complaints?

I mean, ultimately it’s up to you, you’re paying for repairs/gas. Take a chance if you want it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23045 Posts

I scratched Jeeps off my potential buy list years ago so this information may be deprecated, but they used to have a bunch of transmission problems. There are also some axle issues that are notorious for just straight up totalling the vehicle.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38682 Posts

eh... there's some people that will shit on any purchase that isn't a camry or a miata and tell you you're an idiot for not just buying one of those.

you do your research, you get an idea of the pros and cons and eventually you just tell others to **** off an buy what you like :)

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 512 Posts

I wouldn't reccomend any American car manufacturers, Hyundai, or Kia personally. I've owned Chevys, chrysler (jeep), mitsubishi, Nissan, subaru and a Kia.

Only the Nissan and The Subaru are the cars I've never had issues with. Chrysler and Kia being the biggest POS cars I've ever had. My boss has a brand new hyundai that's already been recalled and my coworker has 2 ford's with issues. The Subaru is the best vehicle I've ever owned in my life.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Nahhhh nothing wrong with that. I'd be pissed if I had this one

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Jeep Wrangler seems to have a lot of issues but it's your money. Spend it how you want.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

Feel free to buy garbage, it's your money. But unless you are actually going to routinely use it off-road then there is no point. As a daily driver it is a POS. As a reliable vehicle it is a POS.

As an off roader it is quite capable, assuming it isn't in the shop. You wanna have it as a second vehicle that you drive off-road every weekend, camping, hunting, through the marsh, over rocks, up the hillbilly hills, etc. then go for it as that is its niche. Otherwise, stay the fcuk away.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts
@omegamaster said:

Nahhhh nothing wrong with that. I'd be pissed if I had this one

Very stylish...on Mars.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

I hardly know anything about cars. I suggest you buy a magazine called Consumer Reports Automobile edition. I picked my car type after looking through the magazine and I wound up happy—maybe just lucky. The magazine costs $10 so that is nothing.

I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler or Rubicon but did not have the money for the repairs. I have heard different things about it though, something about it is that car brands best vehicle, to it is unreliable.

The only good advice I have here is buy the Consumer Reports magazine.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58368 Posts

Jeep Wranglers are not great cars for how expensive they can be. They can be fun, though, if you plan on taking them off the asphalt and onto dirt.

Also those wheels are FUGLY as hell man, sorry generally not one to poo-poo people's tastes but holy shit WTF are those things on that Jeep you posted?

I'm a pragmatist when it comes to major purchases like this so you're not going to hear me telling you to get the car you want, the sexy car, the fast car...I'm going to tell you to get the car that will last you 200k+ miles and has really good mileage.

Don't get the Jeep. Get a Honda or Toyota or even a Ford. Or a Kia, Nissan, or whatever. Seriously dude there's so many good options out there.

If you want something big and neat looking, Toyota and Ford have some good truck options, and the new Ford Bronco seems to be getting good reviews. My roommate has one and he loves it.

But don't get the Jeep.

And if you don't plan on going offroad, do not fork over the extra cash for the Rubicon version because all the extras put on that are pretty much just for offroading (bigger axles, locking differentials, lower gear ratio, etc.).

I had a 1990's Jeep Cherokee (XJ) though and I loved it, but that's back when Jeep's were actually good and had that great inline six engine.

*With all that said, Jeep's aren't that bad. They can even be...pretty good. Also don't forget to look into other costs like how much spent per year on gas, how the road ride is, how much you will spend on maintenance over the life of the car, how much they depreciate, etc.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8270 Posts

Rubicons are cool, go for it.

MK245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MK245
Member since 2012 • 128 Posts

A serious question: Are you planning on doing any offroading?

By this I don't mean you like the idea of off-roading or that you think you would like to off-road. I mean you definitely 100% plan to do off-roading at least once a year.

If the answer is yes, go ahead and get it. If not, get something else more reliable.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

How's the social life? Is a people mover important? If so, I'd pass.

Samfs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Samfs
Member since 2023 • 7 Posts

You shouldn't care about peoples opinions, if you love that car, go for it dude!

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
@Master_Live said:

So I'm think about buying a car in the next 12 months or so (yes, I know about interests rates, leave that aside for this discussion). Nothing fancy, I can't afford fancy :P

I'm casting a wide net. I'm looking at anything from SUV's, to compacts, to sedans etc. #1 on my "dream" list (not really) was a Jeep. Like this one:

Well, according to the Internets (Kelly's Blue Book, US News), they suck :D

So, anyone here has first hand experience with one of these or similar?

I know they suck at MPG, but if that were the only drawback I might suck it up and go for it (or buy they electric version), but apparently this isn't the only con.

Help!

I have a 2016 jku I'm still partial to.

Some of the things you will hear is Death Wobble, Bad transmissions, Oil Cooler (expensive), and a few other notables. There are plenty of guides to tell you what years were bad, and when others were good.

It's a fun vehicle.

Ford Bronco is good too, but watch out for the years that the Sport version were made, as they are NOT a bronco. Again, do your research.

Also, do you like ducks? Not real ducks, but the little bathtub ones? Cause once you drive a wrangler, and start noticing those dashboards in all sorts of yellows...

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

I didn't know Jeeps had reliability issues. They're so popular.

Well, I guess the play if you want to go with the Rubicon would be to lease. Buy it in the end if you had a good experience?

That's what I'm doing with my Porsche.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

Jeeps are very popular. They are also very bad cars. Both are ok to be true at the same time, if you want the car, get the car.

Obviously, Jeeps are specialty cars meant to be used in a warzone or out in the fields/desert where there are no asphalt roads, so if you are not in one of those places (aka a place with roads), getting one would be a really bad idea as they are terrible cars otherwise. If you want a decent car that *looks* like a Jeep, try a RAV4 or Bronco Sport.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

@adrian1480: Take care of it, don't lift it too high unless you wanna wear stuff out, and put some E grade tires on it. It's not a bad vehicle by any means.

mozzermonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mozzermonkey
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

@omegamaster: Good god my eyes! That's one fugly car!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

I'd rather have the Jeep Truck but that's pretty cool too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

Aside from fuel efficiency, look at the expected maintenance costs long term. Not sure about this one but I heard the Consumer Reports one year (years back) had bad things to say about Jeep's fleet of cars being bad in that regard. Perhaps they've improved, but I have no idea. Aesthetically they seem fine. If it suits you then don't let others tell you otherwise, own it like a rock star.

Not that it's practical or I've any real experience with one, but in Forza, the Jeep Trailcat was my absolute favorite vehicle. Probably out of the price range though, and again, not practical, but man, if I could... I'd also probably have to move somewhere with nicer weather.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Don't buy it for an everyday car. If you need an everyday car go with Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, something realiable. Maybe even the Ford Fiesta is a good one I heard those are good. Do your own research and then decide. However Jeeps are a sink hole. What are you gonna do if Gas goes to 5 or 7 dollars a gallon. You wouldn't be able to drive it.

Buy something future proof. Also remember cars are never an investment, they are money sink holes. You can get that car in Forza probably so get in the game and keep cash for something more reliable.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@Master_Live: I just bought a 2023 Challenger R/T. While I was there, I test drove the Rubicon - I liked it a lot. The interrior is top notch, and I like the idea of being able to take off things like doors and bumpers when I feel like it.

The one I was looking at was a hybrid, so it was $10k off (incentives and tax credits).

I say go for it.