Has your identity ever been compromised?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Sensitive information, credit cards and SS #s or whatever you have in your neck of the ocean. Was there a compromise of your important proofs of identity? Care to share?

I was working last week, cleaning. I found a credit card on the waiting room floor. Course I left it on the reception desk with a note on it.

Today, I bought something on Steam on a somewhat public network. I shouldn't have done that.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Once, as a teen, I forgot my phone at the local pizzeria. Came back after half an hour, the waitress gave it back, said that lucky we've found it and placed it behind the bar for safekeeping. Other than that, no, my identity was never compromised.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

Not really interesting enough to be compromised.

Learn the latest TV show I watched, last time jerked off.

Very exciting.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Once, myself. Twice, my wife. Lead to some fraudulent charges across the country that were thankfully reversed.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 410 Posts

it's not a fun thing, there are some sick people out there.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Not yet at the very least. I'm nobody and that's a good thing😁

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

Once I had two fraudulent charges my bank notified me about. I thought initially the text to my phone was a phishing scam so I didn't respond to text link and called the bank directly from number's listed on my bank card itself. Turns out it was a legit text, they put a hold on my card and reversed the charges immediately and sent me a new one very quickly.

I haven't done it yet but I should really look into using a something like Apple/Samsung Pay or something like that. Most card payment systems allow some people to working for a business establishment to view the credit card details of a bank card or credit card and anybody who wishes to abuse it can easily reuse those same credentials or sell them. With all the low paid workers out there with access to such details, it seems rather ridiculous to think people on the lower end of the economic spectrum won't abuse it out of need or greed.

In the business's credit/debit card systems it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't more common than that way then other potential methods, like people who meddle with the legit card reader systems at the cashier counter or at the ATM or fuel pump, or people who can say grab the card credentials remotely with some kind of gizmo. Only a couple jobs I had where I worked the night shift and would have to batch the debit/credit card sales during the turnover and I'm rather baffled how transparent they are with the card holders details.

In past I almost always used cash to avoid such worries, made frequent trips to withdraw money from bank, in recent years I got kind of lazy about it. Hadn't had any issues except that one time.

Moving to a system that uses a one time transaction route for each payment sound safe but curious as to how I manage auto-payments like my health/dental insurance, cellphone bills, Netflix and Hulu, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate etc. I know a couple who do this stuff I should press them to help me get it figured out.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2469 Posts

When I worked in customer service, a caller once called me by my full name. Can't remember, but I think he had some kind of access to company info. Was a douche.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#9 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

A guy on GameSpot used my sig without permission. I felt violated.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

I remember a troll that was on this site got banned after having a good one with me, and he made an alt account named "JaydanLemming" or something like that. I felt so violated because I don't even play on Xbox.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

yes unfortunately. I got a very convincing email maybe 6 years ago, saying I needed to update the password for my online banking account to adhere to a new policy. The email made it through gmail spam filters and looked exactly like legit emails I'd received from my bank before.

I followed the link in the email, the URL/page looked legit and I went through with it. Of course, to change my PW, I had to enter all my existing info.

turns out, it was a high quality clone website designed to steal my info. they got full access to my online banking and stole all the money in my chequing account before I could do anything.

The bank phoned me to report unusual activity, and did ultimately restore my money, but yea. Felt like such a fool as I'm normally pretty good at detecting spam/suspicious stuff.

The bank has since added extra security like 2-factor authentication, thank god

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

My debit card a few years ago, some one had from New York had charged $400 on DirecTV. Got the charges removed though the bank asked me who my TV provider was.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

My younger brother was online and he was using AOL chat and there was someone pretending to be an AOL employee and got our information. My mom had gotten her bank account stolen and someone charged a bunch of stuff. My mom was upset at my younger brother for doing this and it was 1998.

My brother had his Facebook account hacked and there was someone pretending to be a Facebook employee that wanted his bank information for ********. He kept calling and we called our bank about the incident a few months ago Luckily my brother didn't do anything as he doesn't have the credit card.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts

3 times

1 a long time ago, 1 a few year back on a B.o.a. cc and a month ago.

last one i am posting link about where it came from.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/09/breach-of-software-maker-used-to-backdoor-as-many-as-200000-servers/

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

I remember i once left my phone in a local shope for 2 days when i came back i found out that it was stolen but the camera catched his face and he was identified.

Too bad for him i had a password 😂.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

@masterkiller103: Nice!

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

My debit card was compromised earlier this month, but thankfully they couldn't figure out my pin. I have text alerts, so when my phone started going off like fireworks, I knew something was up. I turned my card off via the app when it happened, went into my bank the next day and got a new card and pin. I mostly shop online, so I assume that's where the thief got my card information.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

Necro thread