Is it me or african american's are overall better music artists?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

I find african americans best in any music they do. Just see the popular music artists , majority african american music artists dominating music till date. They revolutionized music like Jazz, Reggae, Soul, Hip Hop (Rap), POP, R&B and many other music variations ... imo. Personally i feel good singing voice comes naturally to them.

Please share your opinion ,

Thanking everyone in advance.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It's completely you're preference.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3498 Posts

Up to you. 80s, 90s and early 00s had the best music

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@kazumakiryu21 said:

I find african americans best in any music they do. Just see the popular music artists , majority african american music artists dominating music till date. They revolutionized music like Jazz, Reggae, Soul, Hip Hop (Rap), POP, R&B and many other music variations ... imo. Personally i feel good singing voice comes naturally to them.

Your question is... problematic for a few reasons. You seem to be conflating African American decent with race, which is an oversimplification. There is something to be said for the contribution of notable African Americans to music but a blanket statement like "they make the best music" is still just as much a blanket statement as a negative blanket statement directed at such a large and diverse group of people is. Who exactly is "them"?

African Americans are specifically people who were born in or immigrated to American who are of African descent. Take Reggae for instance. The most of the influential names in that genre of music (Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh) are not African American. They are Jamaican, which shouldn't come as that big a surprise since that's the country of origin for that entire musical genre. Jamaican heritage is obviously a huge influence, as well as other cultural history but it's not like the music is a result of skin color. There's a world of difference between the experience of a Reggae artist from Jamaica and a Jazz musician who grew up in New Orleans even if their skin tone is similar.

So I think your question is an inherent oversimplification, but it's certainly a fair statement to say that some of the most influential artists in American history were African American and that there were entire genres of music borne out of the African American experience in our country's history, both for good and for bad. It sounds like there's more of it that aligns to your preferences, and that's perfectly fine although that won't be true for everyone.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

African-Americans have a great history in the music scene. They either created, helped create, or redefined a lot of genres. Whether it's blues, jazz, soul, or anything else coming from the Harlem Renaissance, it's pretty great.

Some of my favorite music to listen to when I'm working is Motown, soul, funk, and stuff like that.

With that said, I don't think black people are any more genetically predisposed to making great music than anyone else. It's also important to make the distinction between black Americans, Africans, people of African descent in other regions (Jamaica, Haiti, etc), and so on.

@kazumakiryu21, if you like those genres you listed, you might want to check out some "Saharan" music, there's a lot of great African music coming from that region of the world.

• Bombino
  • Mdou Moctar
  • Vieux Farka Toure

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts
@Byshop said:
@kazumakiryu21 said:

Your question is... problematic for a few reasons. You seem to be conflating African American decent with race, which is an oversimplification. There is something to be said for the contribution of notable African Americans to music but a blanket statement like "they make the best music" is still just as much a blanket statement as a negative blanket statement directed at such a large and diverse group of people is. Who exactly is "them"?

African Americans are specifically people who were born in or immigrated to American who are of African descent. Take Reggae for instance. The most of the influential names in that genre of music (Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh) are not African American. They are Jamaican, which shouldn't come as that big a surprise since that's the country of origin for that entire musical genre. Jamaican heritage is obviously a huge influence, as well as other cultural history but it's not like the music is a result of skin color. There's a world of difference between the experience of a Reggae artist from Jamaica and a Jazz musician who grew up in New Orleans even if their skin tone is similar.

So I think your question is an inherent oversimplification, but it's certainly a fair statement to say that some of the most influential artists in American history were African American and that there were entire genres of music borne out of the African American experience in our country's history, both for good and for bad. It sounds like there's more of it that aligns to your preferences, and that's perfectly fine although that won't be true for everyone.

Haha beat me to it.

Yeah I'd be lying if I didn't see the thread title and cringed a little, but the substance seems innocent enough, albeit a bit naïve.

Just to throw a wrench in the argument: one of my favorite Reggae musicians, Yellowman, is an albino black Jamaican :D So, as you said, skin color and genetic heritage mean something but not everything, and not what people think

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

The genres one likes is purely subjective.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Up to you. 80s, 90s and early 00s had the best music

Agree, so glad I was born in the early 80's.

Estrowin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Estrowin
Member since 2018 • 66 Posts

What is your opinion on Chinese music?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

I don't attribute talent to race.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-64fbf588222fb

@estrowin said:

What is your opinion on Chinese music?

Its awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
@mrbojangles25 said:

@kazumakiryu21, if you like those genres you listed, you might want to check out some "Saharan" music, there's a lot of great African music coming from that region of the world.

• Bombino
  • Mdou Moctar
  • Vieux Farka Toure

Thanks for the recommendations, i will check them out.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@kazumakiryu21: it's.just you, my favourite.genre if music.being metal.and there.isnt many African American artists in the metal scene.

Only one I think of top of the head is Howard Jones of Killswitch.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7060 Posts

More of a metal guy so no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-64fbf588222fb

@Byshop said:
@kazumakiryu21 said:

Points duly noted Byshop.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Dunno. I don't think it's true but I've not seen any studies either. I think I'd put it on the who cares pile.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#18 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, I’d agree. But as people have stated it’s just our preference.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

I like music by multiple ethnicities, good music can be created by anyone with the talent and artistic ability.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8385 Posts

love me some funk, soul, hip hop, which is pioneered by black artists, But i also like a lot of classic rock, metal, punk, and country that tends to be more white.

People of all types killing it in all genres, there are exceptions to everything. (latinos, asian, indians, as well, killing it, if your killing the jam your killing the jam)

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Black people have a specific sense of the rhythm, and their voices are usually more pleasant to hear than other races. Generally more musical. But then music in its essence is not a competition.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Topics like this always tend to go sideways, but a lot of credit to everyone for be respectful.

I guess I'm bias in some ways being italian/greek, but I think about someone like Frank Sinatra or Andrea Bocelli. That's some beautiful music by Italians.

Also, Yanni (greek). I always recommend him because if you love music in video games when there's large landscapes and beautiful music, Yanni has that - worldwide sound with an orchestra.

Loading Video...

This song, Paths on Water, was actually part of the Tokyo Disney Sea show. Seen him live twice, amazing.

There of course are so many latino, black and white musicians that are incredible. I think if you don't take a current American-pop culture look at music and look more at the gems and real musicians, a lot of great music stands out. I think of Prince (Purple Rain), Led Zeppelin (Stairway to Heaven), The Beatles (Come Together), Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road), The Doors (LA Woman), Gypsy Kings (Bamboleo). I could go on and on.

grandporcupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 grandporcupine
Member since 2020 • 33 Posts

Though I like them a lot too, it's just a personal preference. I also found myself liking South Korean songs so again, it's my personal preference.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

Thats kinda personal preference, no? I dont like Jazz, Reggae, Soul, Hip Hop/Rap, POP or R&B so thats definitely not true to me at all

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1411 Posts

Ive yet to come across a black death metal band i like. I don't know any good or bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

Some interesting history. Years back I wanted to for my own personal interest read more about the Harlem Hellfighters, and I was at university with a robust library but pickings were slim, but I came across diary written by one of the white commanders of the regiment published like 100 years ago, universities are good like that, the dry academic stuff you'll never find at bookstores (if they even exist anymore). Early on they talked about the creation of the regiment band, knowing nothing about music he asked the black soldiers about how and who to recruit for the regiment band. Turns out that regiment band was largely credited for introducing Europe to jazz music.

Avatar image for nate_the_not_great_but_okay
Nate_The_Not_Great_But_Okay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nate_The_Not_Great_But_Okay
Member since 2018 • 38 Posts

This is a preference.

Skill and ability are where they are. It has nothing to do with ethnicity/race and everything to do with devotion to craft.

Mike1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mike1964
Member since 2021 • 50 Posts

@omegamaster:

90s had the best music? Care to explain why?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3498 Posts

@mike1964 said:

@omegamaster:

90s had the best music? Care to explain why?

90s music is one of the generations that I like. I just grew up listening to it on the radio.

Oasis, MJ (Yes, he still made awesome music), Blur, Nirvana, Backstreet Boys, Boys II Men. I could go on and on.

Even this song is cool too if you're from England.

Loading Video...

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24947 Posts

It’s really a preference.

@silentchief - There are also rock and metal bands that have/had black members like Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Thin Lizzy, Bad Brains, Sevendust, Living Colour, God Forbid, Black Death, Crackdust, Pillar, Evile, Dead Kennedys, Suffocation, Killswitch Engage, A Thousand Times Repent, etc.

@palasta: Suffocation has a black member. It used to have a black drummer, too. Crackdust has all black members.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7060 Posts

@ArmoredCore55: I realize that but they don't make up a majority of the genre. Always liked Seven Dust and Killswitch Engaged although I think the lead singer of Killswitch engage is a white dude now.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

Well, for what its worth, possibly my favorite drummer is Bernard Purdie, who is African American, so there's that.

Hard to say if I like him solely for his sick drumming skills, or his personality. Maybe its a bit of both.

I can personally attest to musical "talent" being more about interest, rather than any sort of inherent genetic trait. At least I suspect its this way.

Drummers for instance, you'll find almost all of the really good ones are constantly tapping their knees, countertops, tabletops, much to the chagrin of everyone around them, when not actually on the kit.

If you don't find yourself with a constant desire to be tapping out and practicing different rhythms even when not on the kit, I think I would be difficult, if not impossible to find yourself in the upper echelons of drummers.

I would wager any other instrument is the same. If you don't have the interest, you'll never make it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

In the past access to music, education, instruction, and instruments was a very high bar for non-whites. Those who overcame those circumstances were exceptional in skill and ability, due to adversity.

Edit: Access to the above is still very real factor for many less affluent Americans.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24947 Posts

@silentchief: Sevendust is pretty good. KSE started off as a white vocalist. He's still good. I kinda miss their old vocalist.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sancho_Panzer

@appariti0n:

A man of taste. Bernard Purdie's a legend!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 appariti0n

@sancho_panzer said:

@appariti0n:

A man of taste. Bernard Purdie's a legend!

Seems like such a friendly dude, would love to meet him some day.

He's my zen happy drummer grandpa :D

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sancho_Panzer

@appariti0n: Haha, yeah, the guy knows time. Wish I could be so freaking positive all the time.

Should have posted this one in the depression cure thread but whatever.

Loading Video...

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 appariti0n

@sancho_panzer: Ahh yes, I love that one.

There's another one where he gives a lesson, stops drumming, but keeps talking. And he's still talking along to the count going on in his head, and lands on the 1 perfectly to resume drumming. Just amazing this guy.

Ironically, I found him by trying to play some of John Bonham's stuff like Fool in the rain, later learning he stole it from Purdie lol.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

@nate_the_not_great_but_okay said:

This is a preference.

Skill and ability are where they are. It has nothing to do with ethnicity/race and everything to do with devotion to craft.

pretty much this, although I do agree that black people are certainly the best of the best when it comes to music.

Back in the late 90s / early 2000s, Eminem was so popular that even BET (black entertainment television) started featuring a white guy 24/7 for a couple of years.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

@appariti0n: It's one versatile shuffle alright. :)

You hear the story about his Aja recording session with Steely Dan? There's a nice little documentary on YT somewhere where they talk about him turning up in the studio with little placards saying stuff like "You gone and booked the original hitmaker", hung up around his kit. Just little bits of self-promotion like that. Funny guy. Not wrong either. Real shame drummers never get the recognition they deserve.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 appariti0n

@sancho_panzer: Oh yeah, I saw that one too. And he said he'd do a shuffle, and they said "naw, just something simple" or something like that.

So he plays his half time shuffle anyhow, and they loved it rofl.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 appariti0n

@sancho_panzer: Yeah, drummers are often the unsung heros of bands for sure.

So aggravating to say, watch old Led Zeppelin, and they focus on Plant and Page for like 99% of the time.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sancho_Panzer

@appariti0n: Heh, too true. Upside, though, is while guitarists and singers fade in and out of the scene, a good drummer's got gigs for life.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 appariti0n

@sancho_panzer said:

@appariti0n: Heh, too true. Upside, though, is while guitarists and singers fade in and out of the scene, a good drummer's got gigs for life.

True that, especially solid ones that don't overplay.

gonetomars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gonetomars
Member since 2021 • 8 Posts

It's a positive stereotype.

Black American's did invent country music which spun into the modern pop music format. So it would make sense that Black artists would be better or more attuned perhaps as you suggest.

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

It’s mostly just a preference. I can find great singers in all races.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Old thread.