Is Pain and Gain Michael Bays best movie so far ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Personally enjoyed Pain and Gain very much , stylistic presentation and awesome acting by each and every cast members specially Mark, Dwyane and Anthony. I felt movie was much better than Michael Bays usual movies as The Rock, Armageddon and Transformers series. Its already one of my favourite crime comedy movie LOL.

How many of you enjoyed Pain and Gain ?  

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

It was probably the dumbest movie I've seen all year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

the-rock.jpg.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

the-rock.jpg.

Aljosa23
And Bad Boys 2
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23057 Posts
I haven't seen Pain and Gain yet, but when I read your post I couldn't help but be reminded that Armageddon and The Rock are in the Criterion collection. Do I give Michael Bay too little credit?
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
I wish the movie was more true to the original story which wasn't funny at all when you actually read into it, it was ok I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
I wish the movie was more true to the original story which wasn't funny at all when you actually read into itLittleMac19
Oh yeah, definitely. Bay is really strange about his humor, and this one certainly didn't need so much humor
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Is Pain and Gain Michael Bays best movie so far ?

indzman

Probably, but that's a pretty low bar to begin with.

-Byshop

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3116 Posts
The OP's question is like asking what is the best dump you've ever taken in your life. It doesn't matter, it's all still crap. Bay is a hack, the only difference from the other hacks (Brett Ratner, M. Night Shymalan, Paul W.S. Anderson, Uwe Boll, et. al.) is that his movies have bigger budgets. It's no secret that he's a joke among the directing community and in the DGA.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
I haven't seen it, but I've heard some good things. I'll give it a watch if it pops up on Netflix instant stream.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Would say that The Rock is still better, but P&G was entertaining enough.
Kedisr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kedisr
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good movie. D. Johnson did a pretty good job too. It's more comical then anything in my opinion. My favorite Michael Bay movie is The Rock. I also loved The Island.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
+1 The Rock for M Bay's best I thought Pain and Gain was entertaining though.
theycallmeRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 theycallmeRP
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

Pain in Gain was the most I've been entertained by a Michael Bay movie. I like dark comedies though.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
I thought the movie was hilarious. I'm not really a Michael Bay hater though. I enjoyed the Transformers movies, Bad Boys 2, and Armageddon.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#16 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Bad Boys 2 is his best imo

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

the-rock.jpg.

Person0
And Bad Boys 2

TaciturnBengal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TaciturnBengal
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I have yet to see that movie, I might have to give it a try.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

airshocker

I thought it was funny.

Ok I'm going to take a leap of faith here, turn my flameshield on and say this: "I actually enjoyed the Transformers movies". Except for Shia LaBeouf.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#21 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Ricardomz

I thought it was funny.

Ok I'm going to take a leap of faith here, turn my flameshield on and say this: "I actually enjoyed the Transformers movies". Except for Shia LaBeouf.

I did too, actually. First one was great, second one was ok, and the third one was good
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts
I liked this movie, it was pretty dark but funny at times. Had an excellent cast. The main characters are idiots but I didn't feel that made the movie stupid. It isn't one of those slapstick dumb criminal movies with a happy ending. I personally enjoyed it quite a bit. But is it Michael Bay's best film... well, what else is there really, Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor... sure, I'll say it's Bay's best film to date.
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

It's his most offensive film that's for sure. And I thought it was also incredibly bad. All I could think while watching the movie was: "Michael Bay is a total @sshole." It's inexcusable. The events of the movie were horrific in real life and the movie plays out almost like a comedy. 

I didn't think there was anything "funny" at all. All I could think the entire movie is how offensive it was. This is not entertainment that should be playing in theatres. It's complete BS. The violence doesn't matter, the lame attempts at humor don't matter, the problem is the tone.

It makes a ridicule of events that shouldn't be made fun of. It's as if someone made a comedy out of the Charles Manson murders and portrayed the victims as idiots that deserved to get killed. It makes a mockery of people that were killed and dismembered in a horrific crime, and we are meant to sympathise with these killers that are currently in death row. 

I love how all women are either sluts or fat b*tches, all minorities are greedy jews or black gangstas, and while the movie takes place in Miami, we don't see a single hispanic person. (Mark Whalberg's character is supposed to be a latino.) Talk about offensive categorization. I think Michael Bay is a racist douchebag and I hate him more now than ever. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
... I had a guilty pleasure for the Island.. Until I discovered Mystery Science Theater 3000's episode of "Parts The Clonus Horror"... Which is hilarious because if I didn't know better, I would say The Island was a remake of it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lamprey263

It's his most offensive film that's for sure. And I thought it was also incredibly bad. All I could think while watching the movie was: "Michael Bay is a total @sshole." It's inexcusable. The events of the movie were horrific in real life and the movie plays out almost like a comedy. 

I didn't think there was anything "funny" at all. All I could think the entire movie is how offensive it was. This is not entertainment that should be playing in theatres. It's complete BS. The violence doesn't matter, the lame attempts at humor don't matter, the problem is the tone.

It makes a ridicule of events that shouldn't be made fun of. It's as if someone made a comedy out of the Charles Manson murders and portrayed the victims as idiots that deserved to get killed. It makes a mockery of people that were killed and dismembered in a horrific crime, and we are meant to sympathise with these killers that are currently in death row. 

I love how all women are either sluts or fat b*tches, all minorities are greedy jews or black gangstas, and while the movie takes place in Miami, we don't see a single hispanic person. (Mark Whalberg's character is supposed to be a latino.) Talk about offensive categorization. I think Michael Bay is a racist douchebag and I hate him more now than ever. 

Samurai_Xavier
how'd it make the victim's out to look like idiots? if anything it makes the perpetrators of the crimes look like complete idiots, and in many ways the facts of the case were pretty outrageous to begin with maybe this isn't offensive simply by its tone, I mean one could say it's offensive this entire situation was exploited for capitalistic enterprise
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I thought it was funny.

Ricardomz

Everything funny about it was shown in the trailer.  And it wasn't a lot.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

how'd it make the victim's out to look like idiots? if anything it makes the perpetrators of the crimes look like complete idiots, and in many ways the facts of the case were pretty outrageous to begin with maybe this isn't offensive simply by its tone, I mean one could say it's offensive this entire situation was exploited for capitalistic enterpriselamprey263

Maybe not portrayed as idiots, but everything about the victim characters was meant to be hateful so that we didn't feel bad when they were killed or tortured. The jew was a greedy bastard, the other two were portrayed as criminals.

And in the movie, they are killed by accident as a joke. In real life, they were murdered, period. We shouldn't be made to sympathise with the characters. They were murderers who were convicted and put in death row for their crime. 

And here's more lame/cheap characterizations: Every priest is obviously a creepy pedophile, the police is obviousy corrupt and incompetent, columbians are obviously drug traffickers, steroids obviously cause erectile disfunction (lets make an entire character out of this joke) all and hispanics that speak with a New York or Brooklyn accent. 

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lamprey263

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]

how'd it make the victim's out to look like idiots? if anything it makes the perpetrators of the crimes look like complete idiots, and in many ways the facts of the case were pretty outrageous to begin with maybe this isn't offensive simply by its tone, I mean one could say it's offensive this entire situation was exploited for capitalistic enterpriseSamurai_Xavier

Maybe not portrayed as idiots, but everything about the victim characters was meant to be hateful so that we didn't feel bad when they were killed or tortured. The jew was a greedy bastard, the other two were portrayed as criminals.

And in the movie, they are killed by accident as a joke. In real life, they were murdered, period. We shouldn't be made to sympathise with the characters. They were murderers who were convicted and put in death row for their crime. 

And here's more lame/cheap characterizations: Every priest is obviously a creepy pedophile, the police is obviousy corrupt and incompetent, columbians are obviously drug traffickers, steroids obviously cause erectile disfunction (lets make an entire character out of this joke) all and hispanics that speak with a New York or Brooklyn accent. 

I don't think they necessarily made the businesses owner despicable as a story device to be sympathetic with the criminals, I think they did so as a plot device so that when he initially tried telling police what happened to them they were put off by his short temper, coupled with his outrageous story didn't do anything about it, I wouldn't go so far as to say he was portrayed as greedy either, he was rich sure, and he was stubborn about signing away his life's work, if they wanted his character to be hated they might have mentioned how part of his fortune came from suspected Medicare fraud in real life, they didn't touch that they married couple weren't portrayed as criminals, they ran their own phone sex business, which is what the real life couple did, but you're right they most likely intended on killing them all the same since they were robbing them of their property, just like they did with the business owner in the movie, though artistic liberty was taken, sure in the plan the intention was to murder them later, but in the movie and real life as far as their criminal intent went the job they were attempting was still somewhat of a botched operation, they killed them before they could get at their money, and as far as they were concerned I don't think the film did anything to make them as victim's despicable I don't recall anything about the characters in the film being involved in drug trafficking like you're saying, except maybe when the cops were interviewing the tortured man in the hospital and they didn't believe his story, and then one of them made a comment about how he's from Colombia and lots of drugs come from there as if that explained the zaniness of his story, and if anything that made the police look incompetent in the matter, which they were because if they'd of followed up on the claims they could have stopped the gang before they murdered anybody else, which in real life is how it happaned... not exactly like in the movie though, he didn't contact police until after he fled the hospital, but he left Miami entirely, and police refused to take his story seriously because he wouldn't return to Miami to testify out of fear I think everybody attacking this film on principle is a stretch.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#29 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I haven't seen Pain and Gain yet, but when I read your post I couldn't help but be reminded that Armageddon and The Rock are in the Criterion collection. Do I give Michael Bay too little credit? mattbbpl

Really?

I don't know... that does more to lower the Criterian collection in my view than it does to elevate Bay.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Samurai_Xavier

WAAAAAAAAAAH

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I haven't seen Pain and Gain yet, but when I read your post I couldn't help but be reminded that Armageddon and The Rock are in the Criterion collection. Do I give Michael Bay too little credit? m0zart

Really?

I don't know... that does more to lower the Criterian collection in my view than it does to elevate Bay.

They're not lol. A lot of people just make fake Criterion covers for movies so I guess matt fell for it. :P