FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Do you agree? I have been trying to get into the current line of Marcel comics, but they're really awful. The Spectacular Spider-Man was horrible, as well as America. Female Thor was a bit interesting. But I have given up on Marvel now.

Now, I started to read Attack on Titan, and One Punch Man. Loved both anime so I started reading the many as so I could be current.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Old MARVEL comics beats the shit out of any Mangas, be it old or new.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FireEmblem_Man

@indzman: yeah, but new marvel ruined all my beloved characters

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 indzman

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@indzman: yeah, but new marvel ruined all my beloved characters

Haven't check out any new MARVEL , but old Marvel comics were Epic Awesome compared to any manga... imo. Still have few MARVEL comics with me for nostalgia as MARVEL 75 Years Omnibus (collecting best of Spidy/Captain America/Fantastic Four/Avengers, Hulk,X-Men,iron Man), Spiderman and Star Wars Original Marvel Years Epic Collections. Man they still dope lol.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man

@indzman: I'll buy those off of you!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By indzman

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@indzman: I'll buy those off of you!

You can buy them off Amazon easily as all available and more choices you got if you want to complete your MARVEL Epic Collections. I got them at a nifty deal during sale :)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#7  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

Of course manga is better than Marvel comics, and has been better for decades... because manga is an entire industry, whereas Marvel is a single publisher, so it's not a fair comparison to begin with. A fair comparison would be to compare manga to the American comic industry (though it's a small industry outside of Marvel/DC), or to compare Marvel to the largest manga publisher (either Shueisha or Kodansha).

Anyway, a major difference comes down to the writing. Manga often have better writing due to being single-author works, whereas Marvel comics often have worse writing due to being multi-author works:

• In Marvel comics, a single author creates a character, and then multiple different authors write their own stories about those characters, while all these different authors' stories take place in the same Marvel universe. This often leads to Marvel comics becoming convoluted, contradictory, and inconsistent. The stories themselves also often lack a clear plot structure, with a beginning, middle, and end, but instead tend to be open-ended, with Marvel characters often becoming immortalized.
  • In manga, a single author writes the whole story, with the creative freedom to create their own story and characters within their own fictional universe. And due to having a single author, most manga stories have a clear plot structure, with a beginning, middle, and end. Even for long-running manga, the story and characters eventually get their ending, rather than becoming immortalized. In other words, manga are structured more like novels, films, and limited TV shows.

Also, manga cover many different genres, whereas Marvel mostly specialize in the superhero genre. Even if we made the comparison fairer, by comparing Marvel to either Shueisha (publisher of One-Punch Man) or Kodansha (publisher of Attack on Titan), their manga output is much more varied, covering a greater variety of genres, than Marvel's output.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@Jag85: I prefer classic Marvel, if you actually bother reading them. Today's marvel is awful full of incompetent writers known as the milkshake squad

PolygonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 PolygonMan
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Classic Marvel destroys Modern Marvel. Modern Marvel today only seems to be pushing some progressive agenda that nobody is really interested in and thus their sales have gone down tremendously. DC has been killing it with their Rebirth event.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Do you agree? I have been trying to get into the current line of Marcel comics, but they're really awful. The Spectacular Spider-Man was horrible, as well as America. Female Thor was a bit interesting. But I have given up on Marvel now.

Now, I started to read Attack on Titan, and One Punch Man. Loved both anime so I started reading the many as so I could be current.

No. Neither are particularly good.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

new marvel is nothing but sjw trash

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Japanese Manga aren't infested with SJW propaganda.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13  Edited By Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Manga's have always been better. I've collected both and although mangas are in black & white the quality of the artwork has always been miles beyond marvels. In some cases the coloring ruins the pencilling. One of the most frustrating things for me collecting marvel comics back in the day was changing the artist.

I'd get really into a series with a great artist/penciller and suddenly the art is garbage and they announce guest artist. I'd stop collecting that particular comic entirely.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man

@Skarwolf: yeah, today's Marvel artist is completely garbage

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

why compare manga as whole to marvel comics and not comic books to manga? And I don't see this whole reason that Marvel is acting like a bunch of sjw just to appeal to broader audience. What's wrong with that?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man

@TheShadowLord07 said:

why compare manga as whole to marvel comics and not comic books to manga? And I don't see this whole reason that Marvel is acting like a bunch of sjw just to appeal to broader audience. What's wrong with that?

The problem with that is that they're not selling! If they're not selling, why does Marvel continue to make comics and repeat the same mistakes? Brick and Mortar stores in the NY-Comic Con already shown how displease they are with Marvel as they cannot sell their books. Especially when the Broader Audience were expecting quality books just like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

WeebDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WeebDragon
Member since 2017 • 102 Posts

@indzman said:

New Marvel < New Manga (Those with sense like Goblin Slayer) ≤ Old Marvel ≤ Old Manga (Berserk and Vagabond)

Edit: Sorry, I mean Classic Marvel and Classic Manga.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 indzman

@weebdragon said:
@indzman said:

New Marvel < New Manga (Those with sense like Goblin Slayer) ≤ Old Marvel ≤ Old Manga (Berserk and Vagabond)

Ehhh, you r so Weeb :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Hands down anime/manga is better than superhero comic book stuff.

WeebDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WeebDragon
Member since 2017 • 102 Posts

@indzman said:
@weebdragon said:
@indzman said:

Deym, I'm busted. But my username was really created when my friend and I are creating the most cringe username and this is what I came up. "WeebDragon". And I seem to liked it for no apparent reason but now I slightly regret it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indzman

@weebdragon said:
@indzman said:
@weebdragon said:
@indzman said:

Deym, I'm busted. But my username was really created when my friend and I are creating the most cringe username and this is what I came up. "WeebDragon". And I seem to liked it for no apparent reason but now I slightly regret it.

Your name is quite cool, i like it :)

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

I think manga in general have better stories but I agree that is bad to compare the entire manga industry to just Marvel. Some of the best comics I've read are not Marvel like Watchmen or Preacher.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

And Vertigo comic beats any manga in terms of writing.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#25  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man:

Nyeeeehh... I love the artwork in manga but I hate having to read everything backwards.

Oliver8114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Oliver8114
Member since 2015 • 86 Posts

The biggest problems I have with american comic is accessibility. When you for example want to read everything about Batman or Spiderman you have to dig deep into all these different universes other series, specials etc. With Manga you start at chapter 1 and it ends with the last chapter. It is a clear path.

Also the whole gender/race swapping is real annoying as well to me also it feels realy lazy compared to creating totally new, diverse and awesome characters.... Peter Parker will always be Spiderman while Morales will always stay the cheap copy.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56534 Posts

Love Manga/Anime as you all know I'm an Otaku!

Sometimes I find it hard to get into new series' because the Manga/Anime industry doesn't really advertise in the same way American stuff does and it's hard to even know what is what. But even then, the really popular stuff always manages to find its way to the surface.

But ever since streaming stuff like Netflix & Crunchyroll, it has become a lot easier, because you can read a synopsis on their shows and it doesn't cost you anything to watch a single episode and try something out. I'd say Manga/Anime is superior tbh. Since they actually finish, they can tell great stories and can have better writing. (comics struggles sine that awesome story can always be messed up later by another writer)

(I also read Hentai Manga as well)

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 indzman

@davillain- said:

Love Manga/Anime as you all know I'm an Otaku!

Sometimes I find it hard to get into new series' because the Manga/Anime industry doesn't really advertise in the same way American stuff does and it's hard to even know what is what. But even then, the really popular stuff always manages to find its way to the surface.

But ever since streaming stuff like Netflix & Crunchyroll, it has become a lot easier, because you can read a synopsis on their shows and it doesn't cost you anything to watch a single episode and try something out. I'd say Manga/Anime is superior tbh. Since they actually finish, they can tell great stories and can have better writing. (comics struggles sine that awesome story can always be messed up later by another writer)

(I also read Hentai Manga as well)

D have you read Tintin? :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56534 Posts

@indzman: I only watch Tintin cartoon series as a kid and I saw the CGI movie as well but I never read it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indzman

@davillain- said:

@indzman: I only watch Tintin cartoon series as a kid and I saw the CGI movie as well but I never read it.

You should. It dosent've never ending story (only 26 Books) and best comics there is :)

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

Yes. I'd rather have to read in the opposite direction than read crappy SJW trash-infested storylines. Besides, call me a weeb all you like, but I actually like the artstyle of Anime/Manga- when it's done right. It's easy to screw it up and look like a 10 year old posting his "anime" fanart on Tumblr.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Go watch some JoJo.

Also, yaoi is the best. =3

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:

The problem with that is that they're not selling! If they're not selling, why does Marvel continue to make comics and repeat the same mistakes? Brick and Mortar stores in the NY-Comic Con already shown how displease they are with Marvel as they cannot sell their books. Especially when the Broader Audience were expecting quality books just like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Then they'll change the story lines....but honestly don't care for either comics or manga. But I do like the TV/movies comics inspire....which beats manga all he time.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts

I don't think both are comparable but I am more into manga. I guess I would be into comics but the problem is that most people hype the superhero comics which I am not interested in. I know Marvel is trying to appeal to people like me now but honestly the synopsis of a lot of these comics sound like they hired folks from the Tumblr fanfiction community. I guess someone is buying them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Manga has it's fair share of shit books.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FireEmblem_Man

@zeroyaoi said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Go watch some JoJo.

Also, yaoi is the best. =3

I do watch JoJo, doll! Also, I'm not into that yaoi-daoi stuff!

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheShadowLord07

@MistressMinako said:

I don't think both are comparable but I am more into manga. I guess I would be into comics but the problem is that most people hype the superhero comics which I am not interested in. I know Marvel is trying to appeal to people like me now but honestly the synopsis of a lot of these comics sound like they hired folks from the Tumblr fanfiction community. I guess someone is buying them.

See this is a problem. There's more to modern comic books than just the superhero stuff if you look hard enough.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Finally! Someone that watches JoJo. To be honest, I'm surprised you're watching it. Thought you were against anime/manga.

That's a shame, but I won't hold it against you. ;>

So what have you been up to? =3

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MistressMinako

@TheShadowLord07 said:
@MistressMinako said:

See this is a problem. There's more to modern comic books than just the superhero stuff if you look hard enough.

Really?

I did not say there wasn't anything more than superhero comics... just they are the only ones that are hyped. Why do I or anyone need to look harder for something? If a company does not do a good job marketing or not many people are talking about it... it won't be known. I did not find gaming by "digging the Internet", I found it by others telling me about it and letting me play. I am sure people are talking about other comics but if I was never drawn in from the start I am not going to dig for something. I have tons of things I am interested in so unless someone gives recommendations I am not going to look deeper into something. People have every opportunity to get people into something but this whole look yourself mantra is putting people off of fandoms.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FireEmblem_Man

@zeroyaoi said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Finally! Someone that watches JoJo. To be honest, I'm surprised you're watching it. Thought you were against anime/manga.

That's a shame, but I won't hold it against you. ;>

So what have you been up to? =3

There's a lot of things you don't know about me ;-)

Nothing much, thinking of you! <3<3<3

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheShadowLord07

@MistressMinako said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:
@MistressMinako said:

Really?

I did not say there wasn't anything more than superhero comics... just they are the only ones that are hyped. Why do I or anyone need to look harder for something? If a company does not do a good job marketing or not many people are talking about it... it won't be known. I did not find gaming by "digging the Internet", I found it by others telling me about it and letting me play. I am sure people are talking about other comics but if I was never drawn in from the start I am not going to dig for something. I have tons of things I am interested in so unless someone gives recommendations I am not going to look deeper into something. People have every opportunity to get people into something but this whole look yourself mantra is putting people off of fandoms.

In my opinion, that's sounds kind of lazy. That you can't type "good comic books that don't have superheroes in them." Or even type them in google and then asked your friends or opinions from other people that are online. I do it all the time for almost everything, and I don't see why would someone like you have a problem with it. Especially when people on youtube write reviews or the subreddits.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MistressMinako

@TheShadowLord07 said:
@MistressMinako said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:
@MistressMinako said:

Really?

In my opinion, that's sounds kind of lazy. That you can't type "good comic books that don't have superheroes in them." Or even type them in google and then asked your friends or opinions from other people that are online. I do it all the time for almost everything, and I don't see why would someone like you have a problem with it. Especially when people on youtube write reviews or the subreddits.

Once again, you are forgetting one little thing: am I personally invested to learning more about a medium I haven't been drawn to in the first place? That is my whole point. I have people talk to me about RPGs and how they haven't found one they were interested in.. I don't tell them to go google it. So no I am not lazy because I am not searching the Internet because I am not interested in something as much as others. I made it in my initial post that I was so interested in comics. I said I guess I would be interested which means sure there is a small bit of interest but if it was on a bucket list it would be low on the list. What makes you think I did not Google it? I have looked up some comics that some YouTubers I follow mentioned along with what some other folks have said and decided I was not interested in them. I do find it funny that you thought I did not Google it.

There was no need for this nasty attitude.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheShadowLord07

@MistressMinako said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:
@MistressMinako said:
@TheShadowLord07 said:
@MistressMinako said:

Really?

Once again, you are forgetting one little thing: am I personally invested to learning more about a medium I haven't been drawn to in the first place? That is my whole point. I have people talk to me about RPGs and how they haven't found one they were interested in.. I don't tell them to go google it. So no I am not lazy because I am not searching the Internet because I am not interested in something as much as others. I made it in my initial post that I was so interested in comics. I said I guess I would be interested which means sure there is a small bit of interest but if it was on a bucket list it would be low on the list. What makes you think I did not Google it? I have looked up some comics that some YouTubers I follow mentioned along with what some other folks have said and decided I was not interested in them. I do find it funny that you thought I did not Google it.

There was no need for this nasty attitude.

You're right and I take back what I say.