Things you pretended to love out of peer pressure?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

So

Have there been stuff you pretended to love out of peer pressure, even tho you secretly loathed the stuff?

For example, pretended to love your local sports team because all your friends were following those under achievers.

Or pretended to love Game of Thrones because all your friends were watching the dull show.

Or pretended to love Fortnite because all your pals were playing the mediocre game.

Or pretended to love Endgame because your friends would kill you if you told them what you really thought of that lacklustre movie...

And so on. I'm sure you got the drift.

Do tell of all those things you have pretended to love out of sheer peer pressure. If you have peers, that is. After all, you might be one of those peerless tacticians one keeps hearing about!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

Nothing that I can think of.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

None I'll never be a normie. :P

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

I can't say I pretend to like anything. You must live a sad and petty life if you have to pretend to like things just to fit in.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Never cross my mind to think of such a thing.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

Nothing. Never pretended to like anything myself.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 507 Posts

The game Destiny. I have a group of friends I've been gaming with for years and we all play 4 player coop games like Left 4 Dead 2 & Gears of War 3. The next game on our list was Destiny and while they seemed to enjoy it I just found no fun in it, but to keep our sessions going I just pretended and acted as if I liked it as well. It wasn't really me caving in to peer pressure or trying to fit in, I just didn't want to hurt their feelings.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@worlds_apart: I've also been playing a lot of online games with my close friends. Over the years we've played League of Legends, Left 4 Dead 2, Rocket League, Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Trackmania Nations Forever, Destiny 2, Elder Scrolls Online, PUBG, Apex Legends and a dozen other less known games. However, I never had any qualms about admitting I don't enjoy a particular game (e.g. LoL, Destiny 2) or getting bored of another (e.g. ESO).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Nope, and glad to say I never will.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts
@XVision84 said:

Love the new avi/sig. (and don't even think I'm pretending either)

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

I have a friend who after moving became an online friend. He loves Rocket League and I don't. I don't think I ever will surpass its learning curve. So I kind of avoided him for a week online, trying to show him that I would rather play something else. It doesn't help that the only game we can play together is RL, since there aren't many cross platform games we can play together. However, I started to feel guilty that I wasn't talking to him.

The next time we talked, he said he was feeling depressed. It felt like a bad time to let him know I wasn't any good at the game. But I did so anyway. He threw a little fit and now I'm going to start up again. I feel as if I am some kind of father figure to him. And that's that.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts

you rarely if ever see people criticise the souls style games. even die hard xboxers seem to swerve bloodborne when criticising sony exclusives. maybe they're universally adored. or maybe it's because they're seen as games for hardcore types only and everyone wants to appear hardcore

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1856 Posts

People actually do this? I get it if it’s something that a loved one had actual stake in, like pretending to like my sisters children or a kitchen makeover my friend did with his own hands.

But movies or video games that your friends just consume? Seems like something a people-pleasing weakling would do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts
@davillain- said:
@XVision84 said:

Love the new avi/sig. (and don't even think I'm pretending either)

Thank you! Same to you :). It's very violent lol.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts

Gamespot. This place is horrible and you are all awful. How do you sleep at night? :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

@worlds_apart said:

The game Destiny. I have a group of friends I've been gaming with for years and we all play 4 player coop games like Left 4 Dead 2 & Gears of War 3. The next game on our list was Destiny and while they seemed to enjoy it I just found no fun in it, but to keep our sessions going I just pretended and acted as if I liked it as well. It wasn't really me caving in to peer pressure or trying to fit in, I just didn't want to hurt their feelings.

I think at that point you're not really pretending to like a game, but instead genuinely enjoying just playing with them. That's how I feel about it, at least.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

At this stage of my life, nothing. I might pretend to tolerate "stuff".

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Social media, even when myspace was a thing, like why?

I had one, but I used it for a week and gave up, FB was 3 days.

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JohnnyGT1
Member since 2012 • 147 Posts

Never. Nobody should ever fall into peer pressure. Don't do that to yourself. Buy a pizza because pizza is love pizza is life. Praise the sun.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 henrythefifth

Among young people, it is very common to pretend loving the latest trendy online game or whatever, out of peer pressure.

And this has always been so. Anyone who says they've never pretended to love stuff out of peer pressure either has poor recall, or is lying. Because we all did it when we were young.

Indeed, when I was younger, I pretended to love such artists as Samantha Fox and Kim Wilde, because every boy in our hood thought them the hottest women on the planet...

And when dating, we all have pretended to, if not love, then at least like the stuff our GF was really into.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Among young people, it is very common to pretend loving the latest trendy online game or whatever, out of peer pressure.

And this has always been so. Anyone who says they've never pretended to love stuff out of peer pressure either has poor recall, or is lying. Because we all did it when we were young.

Indeed, when I was younger, I pretended to love such artists as Samantha Fox and Kim Wilde, because every boy in our hood thought them the hottest women on the planet...

And when dating, we all have pretended to, if not love, then at least like the stuff our GF was really into.

I can't remember ever doing that. But I've also been alone my whole life, so I haven't had to pretend.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#22 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

When I was a teen or around that age,I Was easily miss led. Drank a lot of beer,a whole lot,and now paying for those mistakes. I didn't have many buddies as a kid,simply becase I wasn't liked,so the friend I kept over the years killed himself in 2003 at the age of 28. After that I was fresh out of friends and never bothered with much of anyone since. Never been misled in anyway in many years,but have been lonley. Miss having my only friend around.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Pretend to love social media even though I think it's a stupid ass way to interact.

Why have we allowed normies to take over the digital world? We, the OGs should take back what is ours and make these social media apps edgy again. These kids think they cool n shit but nah we were here first and built the internet ourselves.

Avatar image for clifford_sexylips
Clifford_Sexylips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Clifford_Sexylips
Member since 2019 • 67 Posts

@henrythefifth: There was one time where I had to like KPOP because everyone seemed to like it even my crush so in order to socialize with everyone, I had to listen to it but I never like it until now.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#25 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Probably different styles of music.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

Nothing. I can be obnoxious and tell my friends/family what I like and don’t quite bluntly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts
Loading Video...

Go to a pub and you're expected to know about football.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#28 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I don't really think I've ever fallen into things because they're a fad. I was always interested in whatever I decided to find out more about.

Tamagotchis? I thought they were cool, still do. Pokémon? I still love it, I think it's one of the defining games of my life. I love WoW. I love GoT. I got into things because I liked them, I think a person would have to have a pretty shallow personality to just do something because everyone else is.

The best example that is coming to mind for me, though, is PUBG. A group of my buddies were playing it, and gathered at a friend's house to watch him play it on his big screen. I thought the premise was interesting, anyway. I bought the game and tried playing it a little, but it became pretty clear that it just wasn't my thing.

A few weeks back I was talking to this woman I had things in common with. One of the things she seemed pretty crazy about was Star Trek, she even went to a local Star Trek convention. Now personally, I'm not really that into Star Trek, or Star Wars for that matter. I guess I kind of like Star Trek more nowadays because I think TNG was pretty good. I was willing to try to talk about Star Trek because it was something she was interested in, and something I might not have minded sitting and watching with a girlfriend.

I've never really pretended to like something. Okay, maybe some sex stuff, since a lot of women I wanted to try to date seemed to be into weird crap. But I was still willing to give some of that a shot since the girl seemed really into it lol.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Aqua Teen Hunger Force comes to mind.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Happens all the time, people generally want to fit in.

See this kind of love most commonly with politics and nationalism.

Also, brand love (die hard Apple/Android people).

Less often, but probably as pervasive is class love (have to have a luxury vehicle, certain size house in a certain neighborhood, or have to have kids enrolled in a certain programs/activities, have to have luxury purse/bags).

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

If someone I know has an interest in something - I'll certainly try to hold a conversation with them about such things or if they wish, though I do let them know I don't know much about it or that I don't care about it.

I don't like something just because someone else does or because it's a "trendy" thing at the moment. That's just stupid.

Do yourself a favor, have some respect for yourself and others around you, don't be stupid.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I honestly can't think of anything.

I don't know...family gatherings? And even those are fine unless they go on for far too long.

But why would you pretend to like something just because of peer pressure?

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Nope, never felt the need. I also am easily entertained so most of the things that are universally liked are things I like.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Nope

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Heh. I'm too old for that.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 henrythefifth

I'm also pretending to love the queen mother out of peer pressure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

I know someone that was pressured into a cult. Incredibly sad.

Avatar image for spiritofjustice
SpiritOfJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpiritOfJustice
Member since 2019 • 11 Posts

All the time. Because I can't think for myself and I have no personality.