What do the rest of the world think of us English people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Well, on tvI always see stereotypes, expecially that HORRIBLE English accent which NOBODY has used in the last 100 years. Drinking tea, bad teeth. What do people really think of us?

And also, do other countries have fish and chip shops, and drink tea? (I don't actually like tea myself, and a lot of people don't like it either.)

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Um, well, there is a stereotype over here about English men -often expressed in jokes- being gay All of them. :P

But not so much, anymore.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

English people often misbehave when on holiday. And the fat skanky girls tend to dance on top of the bar when they're drunk (and usually they are). Other than that, they're cool ;)

Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts

but i thought we all drank tea E: like this:

gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts

im pretty sure most of those foreign types, find us extremely sexually attractive, if anyone on here disagrees, they are just trying to hide it.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
They're full of dry British wit. All of them, must be a side effect of all the tea and crumpets they have combined with the fog
silverwind23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silverwind23
Member since 2009 • 660 Posts
I'm not going to lie, girls with an english accent turns me on.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Canada is loaded with tea and fish and chips places, but there's a lot of people whose parents came straight from England here. I personally love the english, some of my favourite authors and actors come from there or around there.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Generalizing as best as possible, you are all snooty, faux-refined, drunken, prone to swearing, football-loving, horrible at running restaurants, and wear suspenders and button sweaters way too much. Also, the elderly men of your country all have out of control nostril hair that has the texture of frozen dental floss.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 firefluff3

English people often misbehave when on holiday. And the fat skanky girls tend to dance on top of the bar when they're drunk (and usually they are). Other than that, they're cool ;)

TheFlush

Well, thats also a sterotype i guess, i've seen programmes about Brits getting in trouble abroad, but we're definately not usually like that. And the fat skanky girls... I'm not sure.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Like this.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
English people are human, I try not to stereotype people.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Well, on tvI always see stereotypes, expecially that HORRIBLE English accent which NOBODY has used in the last 100 years. Drinking tea, bad teeth. What do people really think of us?

firefluff3
Well I object to this! I sound exactly like the portrayals of the 'Horrible' English accent, and I have at least 8 cups of tea a day, and my teeth aren't Hollywood white.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
James Bond, Spice Girls, evil colonial oppressors, musicians, tea, driving on wrong side of the road in stupid looking cars, pale, bad teeth, good gangster movies, "Special Relationship", Lady Di/paparazzi, crappy food, soccer mobs, fog, double-decker buses, funny looking phone booths, Big Ben, Austin Powers
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Well I figure you're a right bunch of charming lads. :oops:
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

I think England is as diverse as the USA. Well, i know it is, a lot of countries are. Accents are different, styles are different, governments are different, but it's more or less the samein regardsto the individuals.

Esotericus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Esotericus
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts

In theory, I love England. I stayed over there for a whole summer in my early teens (1993) and I loved the countryside, the manners, the fact that people actually know how to line up instead of tumbling over each other to be first, the history, and the quiet attention to one's own education. I'm currently on a Bill Bryson kick, and reading his musings on his adopted country have kind of made me homesick for a place that isn't home. My wife and I will be going to France last week (we won the trip, so it wasn't by choice), and we were seriously tempted to spend a day or two of the trip in England instead. I loved how temperate English people seemed to be in demeanor.

That said, a lot of people seem to think the English are degenerates from what they used to be, even if that term may be a bit too extreme. England used to be one of the pinnacles of civilizations and humanity (even if the same attitudes weren't fully experienced in the colonies), and even if certain figures were "bad," they were still impressive people who stayed to the course and let adversity roll off them like water off a duck's back. They sought all there was to know and often with a selfless devotion. I think this is best summed up in the depiction of the English POWs in Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five--they have managed to live a relatively clean and pleasant life even in captivity, never letter their spirits falter while the Americans were in self-made squalor and hopelessness. Some of this is an ideal, to be sure, but it wasn't far off from the truth. Old-style Englishmen were the very definition of Men. Now, as someone else has said, a lot of people tend to think they're overly effeminate if not outright gay.

A friend of mine from Germany recently moved to England and found it "dirty and nasty" with everyone being rude and he couldn't wait to leave despite my encouragements. He said the kids placed no value on bettering themselves, complained a lot (apparently worse than Americans in both regards in his view), and the men basically walked around vomiting all over the place because they were so drunk. Another friend said that they've lost much of their old spirit by questioning too many of the things that made them great. They now refuse to take a real stand on anything, he said. Two of the most recent important influences in my life (grad school professors) were English, though, and they break from what my friends say and our closer to what I remember of the English. To be fair, though, both DID have bad teeth. Heh.

We have fish and chips here in Chicago, but, well, it's usually found in pubs that have either an English or Irish flavor. It's been a while since I've actually been to England, but if someone were to offer me a good job there, even with all those (very likely exaggerated) things I've heard, I'd move to England in a heartbeat and I probably wouldn't look back.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Well... I work at coffee shop in a place with a lot of tourists. Just by listening to the order I can often place where the person is from. If the order is a hot tea, the person is likely from England or India. If the order is sweetened ice tea, the person is from the South. If the order is either a solo or doppio espresso, the person is Italian. And if the order is a drink with four shots of espresso, the person was up late the night before drinking. Many of the other drinks tend to be a little more universal. Working there has in no way helped me stay away from stereotypes. In fact, the mentality that English people drink a lot of hot tea has only been reinforced.
equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

well iv been stationed in england the last 2 years (airforce) out in suffolk. I really miss the states, lol. idk i miss the way florida was teeming with people very busy lots of buildings. Out here its alot of fields and farms but makes for good fishing and camping, the country is nice. THe people that we interact with dont really like americans and show it especially in pubs around these parts, so my liking of most british isnt the best, sorry nothing personal.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

as an american, i find english history and culture to be very interesting. i would love to go to england one day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think you are going to spank us in the first game of the world cup.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

well iv been stationed in england the last 2 years (airforce) out in suffolk. I really miss the states, lol. idk i miss the way florida was teeming with people very busy lots of buildings. Out here its alot of fields and farms but makes for good fishing and camping, the country is nice. THe people that we interact with dont really like americans and show it especially in pubs around these parts, so my liking of most british isnt the best, sorry nothing personal.

equanox214

that's sad to hear...

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Apart from hearing that the English people can eat an apple through a tennis racket, they sound like great people.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

That we are so awesome. 8)

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
I think we are sexy ;)
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Apart from hearing that the English people can eat an apple through a tennis racket, they sound like great people.koospetoors
Well you have to do that to qualify as a citizen, because it was once a national sport. If you fail to perform this task on request, it's off to the Tower of London with you.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
A friend of mine from Germany recently moved to England and found it "dirty and nasty" with everyone being rude and he couldn't wait to leave despite my encouragements. He said the kids placed no value on bettering themselves, complained a lot (apparently worse than Americans in both regards in his view), and the men basically walked around vomiting all over the place because they were so drunk. Another friend said that they've lost much of their old spirit by questioning too many of the things that made them great. They now refuse to take a real stand on anything, he said. Two of the most recent important influences in my life (grad school professors) were English, though, and they break from what my friends say and our closer to what I remember of the English. To be fair, though, both DID have bad teeth. Heh.Esotericus
To be honest I see this sort of divide myself every day in this country. Personally I am come from a very 'conservative' family, my Grandpa was a military man from the early 50s onwards, in the Argyle and Southerland Highlanders and later with the SAS. He is a proper old-school English gentleman, he wears a panama hat and linen trousers while he sips tea on the lawn, and his shoes are always so polished they shine. I live in the countryside too myself by choice, and am surrounded by 'typically' English stereotypes, and if anyone came to stay with me I could show them an England full of green countryside and farms and fetes on the village green. However I work in the city and go out there and everything, and all of my friends call me posh and outdated, and I see first-hand in the library the people of my generation being uncouth, uneducated and certainly not 'jolly good chaps'. I would like to meet a man who is more like my Grandpa (and thus more like me), a damn fine chap, but since I did not have the opportunity to go to a private school or red-brick University I am out of luck. If you have a look at David Cameron - our new Prime Minster - he is the epitome of an 'Eton man' - a posh toff. And most of the country seems to dislike him purely because he is educated and well spoken and a 'Tory Boy' - because he is 'out of touch' with the rest of the country.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

They seem to have a good sense of humour and their accent is always pleasant to hear (sounds sophisticated).

Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts
I think we are sexy ;)Wolls
i agree with this :3
D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
Thinking about England leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not really a fan of English culture or food and I find much of modern British history completely repulsive. I've never much taken a liking to British literature either though I guess they have produced some pretty cool bands so that's a plus. It probably doesn't help that the only British person I know is a total snob who smokes like a chimney.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
well English have some cool customs and I mostly like your sense of companion and friends getting together to watch/play something. But I think you are a little uptight.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

i like ur accents. and i really think this English girl in my religion class is very hotttt!!! XD

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Hmm. Keeping in mind that this is a general opinion and that I take each individual AS an individual and evaluate them on their own merits... I think that sometimes the British get a bit too impressed with themselves with their centuries and centuries of history and feeling that they need to bring enlightenment to all their neighbors and civilize the rest of the world. (Particularly they need to show the U.S. the proper way to act.)

It's understandable because they truly DO have a remarkable history and background and are integral to a lot of different events over the years, but it can be kind of annoying. I also think they have a bit of a lamentable tendency to gloss over their own flaws in the hurry to point out those of others. They have, after all, been a pretty major player in a great many atrocities and conquests over the years and have consistently had issues with how they address Ireland.

On the positive side, I think that they are one of the cultural, economic and political leaders of the world and that they have, internally at least, done their best to learn from their past mistakes (something that the U.S. needs to do a better job on) and are focused on being a great country for many years ahead.
shaka_fo00o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shaka_fo00o
Member since 2009 • 735 Posts

You guys always have witty remarks in the bag. It's like how'd you even come up with that on the fly?! Of course it's all tv...right?

Most places where they sell seafood..er..or at least fish you can get fish and chips here. No fish and chips shops, well might be a few..like a pub or something but thats like specialty shop-ish. Like finding a Japanese restaurant or something.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

I just read yesterday that their women have the best curves. I approve! :shock:

http://www.asylum.co.uk/2010/05/24/british-women-have-the-worlds-best-curves/

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
Love football.
DMAngara90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DMAngara90
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts
I really only have one stereotype. But it's always, at least from I've seen, proven to me on photos of British people. It's that you all have red faces.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 firefluff3

It's wierd to think that we have an accent, people sound totally different from eachotherto me because i'm English. We have totally regional accents, someone from the north will not sound anything like someone from Essex (south-east). To me, all Americans have a similar accent and you can really hear it, but thats because i'm not used to it... I guess.

gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts

It's that you all have red faces. DMAngara90

hmm, was this a british guy stood with a girl?

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 firefluff3

I really only have one stereotype. But it's always, at least from I've seen, proven to me on photos of British people. It's that you all have red faces. DMAngara90

Thats wierd lol, we're normally quite pale or tanned in the summer. God, the amount of fake tan some of the girls are wearing is just too much.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8784 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Hmm. Keeping in mind that this is a general opinion and that I take each individual AS an individual and evaluate them on their own merits... I think that sometimes the British get a bit too impressed with themselves with their centuries and centuries of history and feeling that they need to bring enlightenment to all their neighbors and civilize the rest of the world. (Particularly they need to show the U.S. the proper way to act.)

It's understandable because they truly DO have a remarkable history and background and are integral to a lot of different events over the years, but it can be kind of annoying. I also think they have a bit of a lamentable tendency to gloss over their own flaws in the hurry to point out those of others. They have, after all, been a pretty major player in a great many atrocities and conquests over the years and have consistently had issues with how they address Ireland.

On the positive side, I think that they are one of the cultural, economic and political leaders of the world and that they have, internally at least, done their best to learn from their past mistakes (something that the U.S. needs to do a better job on) and are focused on being a great country for many years ahead.

Well said. I'll just go with this then.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Threads like this make me proud to be English :)

DMAngara90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DMAngara90
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

[QUOTE="DMAngara90"]I really only have one stereotype. But it's always, at least from I've seen, proven to me on photos of British people. It's that you all have red faces. firefluff3

Thats wierd lol, we're normally quite pale or tanned in the summer. God, the amount of fake tan some of the girls are wearing is just too much.

lol, the fake tan is just as bad here. It's more tanning beds than a spray-tan or a lotion, though. But it's just as bad. Plus, they get all leathery and wrinkly by the time they're 20. It might be because most pictures people have - American, Canadian, British, it doesn't matter are when they're drunk.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Something like this. No but seriously I think the english are just about the same as anyone else who live in an industrialized region, barring the minor cultural differences of course.
hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts

We all know that the British people play the best movie villains. We have the best NFL team the London Silly Nannies and the best budget airlines, and yes I do kind of talk like that.

Toodle Pip :P

iginlawasup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 iginlawasup
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

And also, do other countries have fish and chip shops, and drink tea? (I don't actually like tea myself, and a lot of people don't like it either.)

firefluff3

Ya, in Canada we have them and my mums irish so she drinks a fair amount of tea.

I actually like stereotypes, if someone from another country thinks im a frostbitten moose meat eating hockey player then I would laugh. I just think they are funny.The only thing I don't like about the English is how they have treated the Irish and the Scots in the past.English people I kinda imagine them how they are on Coronation Street. One stereotype I think is strange, my grandfather was a cop in Ireland then when he came to Canada the Police force would not accept him because he was not big enough.