When buying things do you normally use the internet or local stores?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll When buying things do you normally use the internet or local stores? (40 votes)

Internet 60%
Local stores 40%

What does your brain default to using most of the time?

For example, I technically know that I could buy most things online, but I tend to go out to local places around town to get them. There are some things that don't fall into this way of thinking such as jewelry for my wife (thank you etsy) or computer components that you can't usually find at Best Buy (newegg or amazon), but for small items like batteries, or shampoo or really just about anything that I don't want to wait a few days for I will drive to a store that has it and if I can't find it I will then check the internet.

• 
TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I am 50 so its a habit to default to the store.

I feel like its not the best habit because not only is shopping online easier and often cheaper you can often find products that dont exist in stores anymore

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It really depends on what I'm buying. Some online retailers are specifically and ideally suited towards specific products. Monoprice is great for cabling at close to cost, but at the price of a long wait for US-based customers (although some of their products are also resold through Amazon Prime). Amazon, NewEgg, and TigerDirect are my main sources for pretty much all hardware, in that order of preference. However, I'm willing to go to retail stores for larger pieces of hardware that aren't marked up like crazy. Retail stores like Best Buy make very little margin on items like laptops or desktops. They make all their money on all of the "consumables" that go along with those sales such as service contracts, ink/toner cartridges, paper, and cabling. A lot of these items are marked up as much as 1000% from their cost in brick and mortar stores, so I avoid these items like the plague locally unless I absolutely can't wait.

-Byshop

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

I price things on the internet, and ask the local store if they could match it. Most times they do, sometimes only if there's a physical store, and sometimes no. If the difference isn't too big, I'll pay a little more and buy locally....so much easier to take it back if there's a problem....

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I'm a store shopper. I like the shopping experience. I like browsing and hitting bargain bins. It also gives me a reason to stop for a beer while I'm out. As sealionact above me has pointed out, exchanging is a lot easier in store as well. As a store shopper, I've never had to worry about my packages being stolen.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Mostly local stores and malls I find malls relaxing when there not to busy and I need all the exercise I can get these days.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Depends on the item. Household items I get on my local stores but everything else I find myself drifting more and more in the direction of purchasing online.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Typically online unless I need it immediately.

I still enjoy going out shopping every now and then. I go to a lot of thrift stores just for the heck of it

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I will say that I typically call the stores I need something from before I go to avoid going somewhere that doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Used to be into supporting local small business, and still do to some extant. But I hate fighting the traffic and idiots in the stores around here, so I go online VERY often now.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

I buy everything online except food and medication...at least most of the time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Items that require hands-on examination such as clothes, DSLRs and TVs? Local stores.

Software, PC components such as video cards? Online. If it's an emergency? Local stores.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Nornally stores unless its not availible or a lot more expensive.

Im inpatient once I decide I want something and especailly once Ive paid I want it right away.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Mostly internet these days as its easier for me. Ive only bought one thing in store in the last couple of years and that was my monitor as it was in stock and my dad was going into town any way. Funny thing is I cant remember the last time I bought a game in store but have bought a couple of steam vouchers in store. Does that count as buying game in sore. :P

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

the internet

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

Mostly store. Unless it's not available or the price discrepancy is big.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Ive only got a food store, hardware and a shop that sells cheap odd bits, in my town so 90% of the time i shop online. I never really thought id miss a shopping center

APOPHI5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 APOPHI5
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

For me it depends on products , I mean cloths nothing beats actually trying them on and being able to see them especially shoes cause they run different in size .

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44545 Posts

I pretty much always buy from local stores. I much prefer the tactile feedback that I get from physically interacting with whatever I’m purchasing. I really on shop online if I can’t find whatever it is locally.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Up until about 5yrs ago, I was mainly a store shopper, now I'm a big Amazon shopper. Clothes are the only Items I actually buy from retail nowadays.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23057 Posts

Local Stores by default. I'm a deal hound, and I like window shopping for ideas.

Avatar image for reaperinthyname
reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 reaperinthyname
Member since 2018 • 273 Posts

Internet. I live in germany and here, services in retail are misserable, because people working there are misserable. They hate their job and everyone who are trying to buy something.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts

I normally go to the store because I am impulsive and impatient when it comes to getting things. I only go online if it's a really good deal or I can't find it in store locally.

julianaray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By julianaray
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I personally was cheated couple of time after purchasing from internet.

But I did not stop purchasing from internet. I mostly prefer local store as I have chance to check and test the product which I will buy. :)

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@sealionact said:

I price things on the internet, and ask the local store if they could match it. Most times they do, sometimes only if there's a physical store, and sometimes no. If the difference isn't too big, I'll pay a little more and buy locally....so much easier to take it back if there's a problem....

Yeah same here.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

The Internet. No driving, no waiting in line, no traffic, etc. It is much more convenient.

Davmat123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Davmat123
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Yes I do I always use it for the subscription services for my energy drinks.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

Internet for my auto part needs, local stores for my food and clothes (For the most part) necessities...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Online mostly. A lot of the stores that sell the stuff I buy have closed up, and the deals online are just too good to go to the ones that haven't. I still buy clothes in person and usually go to a music store if I need anything from them (even though Amazon usually has slightly better prices on strings), but other than that it's mostly online.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

I mainly use Amazon or music magpie online but occasionally pick up a game if I'm in town. 80% online 20% local stores. It's a shame how it's gone for the high street so many game stores have closed.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

I like to get out of the house, make it an adventure

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

I see we have a large amount of home bodies here

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Clothing: Stores, I've had bad experiences buying from the internet. Basically no way to tell how something will look.

Everything else: internet

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm an amazon whore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@theone86 said:

Online mostly. A lot of the stores that sell the stuff I buy have closed up, and the deals online are just too good to go to the ones that haven't. I still buy clothes in person and usually go to a music store if I need anything from them (even though Amazon usually has slightly better prices on strings), but other than that it's mostly online.

I'm with you on that. It's almost always cheaper to buy online because you can check so many different places for prices. Plus i get alerts all the time for whatever sale or discount. Clothes, however, are tougher because sizes are not universal and you really need to try the stuff on.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@sonicare said:
@theone86 said:

I'm with you on that. It's almost always cheaper to buy online because you can check so many different places for prices. Plus i get alerts all the time for whatever sale or discount. Clothes, however, are tougher because sizes are not universal and you really need to try the stuff on.

I even think twice about buying strings in person. I can get three sets online for the same price as two in store. Still, shipping costs, plus I do like having actual people to talk to for some things. But buying electronics and other things, I get better advice online than I do in a store.

Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

Its a pretty heavy mix for me, not a lot of choices in my current home city and that is quite the bummer.

Most of the time I just go to a location that will have or might have what I want then I weigh the price difference and how long shipping would take and if it seams I would rather have the item that day even if its 10-15$ more then I buy local, if its a well I can wait for this item then I'll likely wait on a sale or just buy it online.

Recently I bought a 50$ action cam online because why not I didn't bother even looking local for one, that's when I buy online the most, when its late and I'm not really paying attention.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

Internet but yesterday found a good deal on halo MCC which was cheaper than buying online.