Anyone familiar with Fractal Design PSU's?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

While waiting for GPU prices to go down I was browsing PSU's and I kinda got hyped for the Fractal Design Ion+ "P" PSU's. I was too late to grab a discounted 660W model, and now I can only get 1st gen 760W model (total overkill) or 2nd gen 660W for the same price, around €165. There's also a fairly cheap 1st gen 560W model but that would be a little step down from what I have now in terms of amperage. With the 1st generation having such good reviews and 10 year warranty I wonder if the new models are worth the extra cash. I want a reliable PSU that's also quiet under load, and that can handle a single 200-250W GPU (including future upgrades).

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Their psu's are good.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

I don't think you'll go wrong with Fractal Design. They don't design their own PSU outright, they use Sirfa as their ODM and Sirfa usually makes value oriented designs with average performance. BUT! Fractal Design has spec'd their designs much higher and they perform in a much higher tier.

Keep in mind that well known PC component brands often contract out their PSUs this way and put their name on it. They might jump ODMs from one series to the next which could drastically affect quality.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Well they all have good reviews but older models seem to have better value. I should probably buy before they're out of stock.