CoD help , need a quick answer plz?!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 1Lonehawk
Member since 2005 • 873 Posts
Everytime i try to host a game of CoD with dedicated server turned on, I get this stupid console thing that pops up, then when i close it, the game doesn't start.  Do i need to use Dedicated server for hosting a game?

Also, i just wanna host a game with one friend, so i've tried hosting just using non-dedicated too, but my friend can't see my game.  As a matter of face, we both can't see any games from the in game server list.  it says over 1200 servers are there, but none show.

Any help would be appreciated.  Aghgh. :(
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 1Lonehawk
Ok, let me update this. What I need is a simple "how to" to host a game of Call of Duty (reg or UO). All I want to do is host the game on the same comp I'm playing my game on (this one) and connect with a friend multiplayer. We just wanna play a 1 vs. 1 online with our own map picked and rules etc. Everything we've tried has not worked so far. I can't see any game he tries to host, and he can't see any game I try to host. I have no idea why this is, and i've tried just about every different setting we can think of. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here. It can't be because the only way to host a game of Call of Duty is to have a dedicated server is it? If that's the case, that would be extremely retarded. Why didn't they put the option to just connect to a specific IP like most games with multiplayer used to have? Has this option gone the way of the do-do and I missed it? Anyways, again, any help is appreciated.
drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
If it's just you and your friend playing, you're gonna want a listen server (non-dedicated). The reason your friend can't see the server you create is probably the result of closed ports. Open your ports for the game via your router configuration settings, then try it out. Look for your router here.
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 1Lonehawk
Hmm. How did you know I have a router? LOL. Anyways, I had the ports open for Call of Duty, but Call of Duty UO needs 2 more opened. I opened them, but gonna have to wait till next time to see if it works.

It's strange. With CoD, when i refresh servers, i see nothing when it's done. As if there are no servers but it says it finds over 1200. But with UO, even though I didn't have the 2 extra ports opened for it yet, it found all the servers. eg. i could see them in the list. I'm finding this very weird. I'll keep trying.

When my friend tried to host a game with the non-dedicated, I couldn't see him either. Maybe we need to open ports or allow access in windows firewall even if it's disabled? I read when you disable any software firewall, it doesn't actually disable it, rather it simply shuts it down and all ports remain closed. Is this true as well? I knew this about 3rd party software firewalls, i just don't know exactly how WinXP's firewall acts even if disabled. (I have not only the WinXP firewall disabled but the entire security center service is disabled from even starting).
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 1Lonehawk
Ok, judging by the manual (i finally found the pdf) it seems that the only kind of game you can run, without running a dedicated server on a separate computer is a "local server and a local client." I understand this to mean that the only way I can host and play a game with my comp is if the other guy is on my LAN. It seems, as far as the manual seems to state, that the only way I can host a game so it's seen on the internet (thereby my friend being able to see the game and join it) is to: INTERNET OPTION, "Start a server that can be seen on the Internet through the master server." This is (I think, not sure) confirmed when i select the internet option then start the game, game shuts down and this console thingy comes up. I assume that console is the dedicated server "control panel" so to speak. This sucks. I was hoping to just be able to do an IP connection to my buddy's computer so we could play. Doesn't seem like that, or just the 2 of us connecting in any other way is possible.