Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I've going through my closet and cleaning out some old things and have found a bunch of old game boxes. Is there any chance they'd be valuable? I have boxes for the original starcraft, Starcraft 2, Overwatch, fallout 1 and 2, Dawn of War, Street Fighter 2 (PC), Where in the World in Carmen Sandiego, and Mechwarrior. They look kind of cool, but I don't know if it's worth keeping them as they take up a lot of space and I'm a bit of a pack rat so I need to clear out a lot of old things.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Still got a box from Black Ops 3, which is already account bound so I don't know, I guess I keep it because I don't usually buy game boxes no more.

It's like keeping vintage retro stuff to me :D

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

Probably not valuable enough to waste your time to sell unless you have older game manuals and a ton of them in good shape.

People probably want Atari/Commodore, SNES, NES and maybe Sega games with manuals in good shape. Basically 80s and 90s games, anything after who cares, I wouldn't.

I sold a bunch of my Sega games with manuals and boxes few years ago, got a few bucks, but worthless really time wise. I only sold them because I knew the person wanted them and I was going to trash them and figured if someone could use them that's good.

Nobody cares about a Starcraft or Overwatch manuals, these games are way too new and not rare at all. Those games only a few years old and everyone has them. Not sure about Fallout 1 and 2, those are older but then again, PC games and people would want the boxes also, not just the manuals and you are looking at meaningless money here, like a couple dollars its not worth it. Trying to ship a PC game box to someone would cost way too much money, just not worth your time or money, its crazy actually.

I do have the manuals for some games like Fallout 1 and 2. I have my Atari 7800, Genesis, and NES games saved and looked at them yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of the old gaming system boxes or manuals. Good to know I can throw out the more current PC boxes.

Would you think it's worth saving the Street Fighter PC box and manuals for DOS? I have the original disks inside it also, but it has been opened. That box takes up so much space!

ShylockSimmonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 290

User Lists: 5

#6 ShylockSimmonz
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

I have tossed out some boxes but I always regret it. I usually like to keep them displayed on a bookshelf in whatever i'm using as my office.

TheDriver78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheDriver78
Member since 2020 • 12 Posts

Up until probably 6-7 years ago, I did, purely for nostalgia reasons. Moving into an apartment where I was crimped on space, combined with diving headfirst into the world of Steam pretty much killed that

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

Destroyed my FFVII PC boxset, I was only 11 then... seems it has some value now though, wish I had kept it good lol

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts

I see that the original post is a bit old, but I don't frequent the forums much anymore.....

Depends on the game. I had a LoTR game that was nearly new in box. I played the game years ago, but having always kept the box and everything that came inside of it - plus having all the CDs in mint condition - I sold it for around $100.

I still have a lot of boxes for old PC games, but I sold a lot of them, too. I probably had 150 boxed PC games - think I sold off around half of them. When I was underemployed and every dollar helped, I started selling off my older PC games. Probably made around $1500 selling off the 70-75 games.

All the PC games I've purchased, I kept all the boxes and things that came with. Are they worth much? Not really - most of them certainly aren't worth the cost I paid for them when I originally purchased them. Most of them would probably fetch around $20 and a few upwards of $50-75.

Condition, rarity and popularity of the game are what count the most. If you just have a box or manual, you might get a few bucks after you sell and ship them. Without the actual game, they might not be worth your time unless you're really tight on cash and every dollar helps.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I have some VERY old ones - MS DOS game manuals and floppy discs for posterity. But everything from the eras in-between now and then has vanished one way or another in the sands of time. And of course I no longer buy physical games on PC so there's no new influx