Help w/ 480p, 1080p, 480i etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasfight54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 texasfight54
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts
What exactly do those mean. My friend is bragging because he got this tv.
qttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7661979&st=HDTVS&lp=11&type=product&cp=4&id=1134701134352
He's going oh it's got 480i!!!! Im like..what's that mean and he's like... It makes it look pretty. I've heard of like 1080i 1080p...oh yeah and what's the difference between p and i??
0utc4st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 0utc4st
Member since 2003 • 3839 Posts
The 480, 720 and 1080 refer to the resoultion (higher is better). The "i" and "p" refer to interlaced and progressive. Basically interlaced is where the odd lines of a picture are displayed then the even lines are displayed in the next frame. This happens so fast (60 times a second) that your eyes are tricked into seeing a complete picture. With progressive the whole image is displayed at once (odd and even lines at the same time). Progressive is more desierable as fast action video (where images change or move rapidly like in sports, video games or action movies) will appear smoother. Why your friend is bragging about the TV doing 480i is beyond me. 480i is the lowest possible resoultion there is. His TV is pretty poor. Its a EDTV (Enhanced Definition) and not a HDTV (High Definition). That means that it can only display a maximum resoultion of 480p (the lowest resoultion). It will actually downconvert high definition signals (720 and 1080) to 480p resulting in picture quality that is no better than standard broadcast television.
texasfight54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 texasfight54
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts
[QUOTE="0utc4st"]The 480, 720 and 1080 refer to the resoultion (higher is better). The "i" and "p" refer to interlaced and progressive. Basically interlaced is where the odd lines of a picture are displayed then the even lines are displayed in the next frame. This happens so fast (60 times a second) that your eyes are tricked into seeing a complete picture. With progressive the whole image is displayed at once (odd and even lines at the same time). Progressive is more desierable as fast action video (where images change or movie rapidly like in sports, video games or action movies) will appear smoother. Why your friend is bragging about the TV doing 480i is beyond me. 480i is the lowest possible resoultion there is. His TV is pretty poor. Its a EDTV (Enhanced Definition) and not a HDTV (High Definition). That means that it can only display a maximum resoultion of 480p (the lowest resoultion). It will actually downconvert high definition signals (720 and 1080) to 480p resulting in picture quality that is no better than standard broadcast television.

oooh thanks for the info.
Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts
smack your friend upside the head and tell him congrats for basically buying a glorified low res computer monitor wtf kind of tv has an 800x600 resolution anyways