deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

When people usually talk about old physical PC games it's usually about the big box ones which are cool but for me I really love the design of the double flap boxes they are well built and give you more stuff to look at and read. Looking back at the history of this design Medal of Honor Allied Assault was the first game to have them.

Here's some of my favorite ones did you like this style of boxes or did you prefer jewel case or big box or another kind?

Medal of Honor Allied Assault   left flap
Medal of Honor Allied Assault left flap

right flap
right flap

F.E.A.R. left flap
F.E.A.R. left flap

right
right

Prey 2006 left flap
Prey 2006 left flap

right
right

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7313 Posts

Those boxes were sturdy. Honestly though, I usually tossed them and just kept the jewel case. Anytime I had the option to buy jewel case only, I went with that.

Totally get what your saying though. The boxes had a lot to look through when deciding if the game seemed interesting. Which was usefull back when there weren't 1000 websites and youtube channels dedeicated to gaming.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Me too. I didn't value them at the time, and threw most out, but they were pretty neat. The wildest ones we're the trapezoidal Eidos boxes

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I never had many PC games but I really wish I would have kept the boxes to the ones I did own. Half Life had an awesome box with the front flap, really miss that design.

I wouldn't mind seeing some special edition console games get that treatment.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I kept everything for any PC game I purchased (though I have resold some older games over the years since I have no place to display them....all just hiding in some big boxes in the closet...I'd rather have someone enjoy them over being hidden away).

I remember a lot of PC games I had when I moved out to college. I didn't take the games with me, left them all boxed up nice and neat with the old folks. The boxes sat in the basement with other stuff I couldn't take to the dorms.....

I come home to visit a few months later and I found out that my younger brother discovered my PC games and treated them like shit.

• Any boxed game he pulled out, the boxes were torn open or so smashed from being on the floor of his room that they go stepped on or buried under piles of crap.
  • Jewel cases were cracked or smashed beyond use.
  • Manuals were torn and crumpled beyond use
  • CDs were scratched, broken and some even used as a goddamn coaster for his soda cans, leaving water stains that ruined the discs....
  • Extras (such as posters or game maps and such) that came with any game were pulled out and ruined.

I was pissed. Over 3 dozen games just ruined beyond salvaging. What I could salvage was:

• WarCraft 2 disc - had light scratches, but still worked.
  • Half-Life - the box and inserts were still intact and the CD was good. Replaced the broken jewel case.
  • Thief: The Dark Project - only the CD. Had light scratches like WC2, but still worked.
  • Lords of the Realm 2 - CD and manual were intact, in good condition actually.

That was pretty much it. I lost so many amazing games from the late 90s due to my brother's inconsiderate stupidity.

I miss the physical copies. I cherished the artwork on the boxes. The stories written in the manuals, the small additions that were included in the boxes. They were like books to me. I'd read through storylines and manuals, admire the artwork and display the game boxes and extras around my desk as I played a game. When I was done I pack everything back in the box exactly how I got it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@neatfeatguy: That would have sent me over the edge!!! Thank God my brother was just as careful with games as I was.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

I kept everything for any PC game I purchased (though I have resold some older games over the years since I have no place to display them....all just hiding in some big boxes in the closet...I'd rather have someone enjoy them over being hidden away).

I remember a lot of PC games I had when I moved out to college. I didn't take the games with me, left them all boxed up nice and neat with the old folks. The boxes sat in the basement with other stuff I couldn't take to the dorms.....

I come home to visit a few months later and I found out that my younger brother discovered my PC games and treated them like shit.

• Any boxed game he pulled out, the boxes were torn open or so smashed from being on the floor of his room that they go stepped on or buried under piles of crap.
  • CDs were scratched, broken and some even used as a goddamn coaster for his soda cans, leaving water stains that ruined the discs....
  • Extras (such as posters or game maps and such) that came with any game were pulled out and ruined.

I was pissed. Over 3 dozen games just ruined beyond salvaging. What I could salvage was:

• Half-Life - the box and inserts were still intact and the CD was good. Replaced the broken jewel case.
  • Thief: The Dark Project - only the CD. Had light scratches like WC2, but still worked.

That was pretty much it. I lost so many amazing games from the late 90s due to my brother's inconsiderate stupidity.

I miss the physical copies. I cherished the artwork on the boxes. The stories written in the manuals, the small additions that were included in the boxes. They were like books to me. I'd read through storylines and manuals, admire the artwork and display the game boxes and extras around my desk as I played a game. When I was done I pack everything back in the box exactly how I got it.

Damn man that's crazy about your brother sorry to hear that geez. I totally feel ya on PC cases that they are like books. Sometimes when I get bored I will look at my old PC boxes and go into nostalgic land it really takes me back to the good old days of PC gaming.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

Damn that was a painful read.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 neatfeatguy
@vfighter said:

@neatfeatguy: That would have sent me over the edge!!! Thank God my brother was just as careful with games as I was.

My brother finally learned the hard way after he grew up a bit and went out to college. He'd come back to his house he was renting with two other guys during his sophomore year and find his DVDs and Xbox have been used and that games and movies were left with scratches or tossed on the floor instead of going back into the proper cases. A couple of games and movies were ruined and even one of his Xbox controllers was broken. He had to resort to taking his remaining Xbox controller and power cable with him at all times and any Xbox games and movies he had to box up and hide in his closet.

My brother actually called me and apologized for how he mistreated my PC games back in the day and that he now knows how much it sucks having other people destroy your things and not tell you about it nor pay you back.

Since that day I haven't had a single issue with loaning him movies or even physical copies of PC games (or PS3 games when we both had them...still got mine and a game or two for it boxed away, he sold his when he got his PS4) he wanted to play that I have. Everything comes back in the condition I give it to him.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Final Fantasy boxes were insane - 5-6 Cds which you had to switch during game, Black Ops 3 had 3 Cds inside

Boxes got out of control. They did feature some cool artwork inside the boxes from time to time with descriptions and manual about the game which was nice, but most of that stuff is already inside the game digitally or they point you to their Wiki page.

It saves paper and money.

I was nice if game devs would allow you to buy a physical copy of the game (some still do with collectors editions) for like 10$ more.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11 xantufrog
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@gerygo: my physical copy of CP2077 was actually surprisingly good. Came packed with goodies and stuff for normal retail price. And that's not counting the free steelbook BestBuy threw into the cart for me :-)

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 neatfeatguy

@xantufrog: Looks entertaining and all, but I don't think it's the same. A physical copy should negate the need for digital downloading.

If I have a physical copy of a game I'd like to think I shouldn't need to download 20/30/40+ GB of data to play the game. I'd much rather install it from disc.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

I always love the smell of boxed games.

The act of taking my car keys or pocket knife and slicing that seal on the box and opening it up, shaking the contents into my hands, and smelling the oddly comforting synthetic smell. It was the smell of knowing that, no matter what goes on in the real world, no matter how much you have to study or work or do chores, your entertainment needs would be fulfilled.

I miss it, but only for sentimental reasons. I much prefer digital over physical for a lot of reasons.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I miss them too, but the convenience of digital plus the reduction of waste makes up for it in my opinion.