com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

Got the 5600x CPU and currently running the 5700xt GPU. Now I’m tempted to get the 6800XT and heard that AMD are developing their version of DLSS. What I’m thinking with smart memory and when AMD get something to compete with DLSS would it be more beneficial to go with the AMD solution over the 3080? trying to guess the future basically haha

Just looking for peoples opinions, I have been team red for 12 years but DLSS is pulling me to Green

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

Can't go wrong with the 3080. However the price now.. How far from MRSP is it these days? 150$ over?

How long before AMD supposedly get something that can compete with DLSS?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@com2006:

AMD's answer for DLSS will not be as good as Nvidia's (performance wise) because of the fact that Nvidia's RTX has dedicated tensor processors to fill in the missing detail. AMD's solution will be low precision based workload that uses the CU's(shader processors) with some sort of upscaling combo. Also Smart memory access will work with RTX gpus in the future.You just need a modern CPU made in the last couple of years to use it. The RDNA v2 raytracing calculations uses TMU's on the gpu and no dedicated hardware, so the higher the resolutions and detail used the worse RT performance will be in the 6000 series from AMD.

RTX 3080 is the better buy because of DLSS, future SMART feature, and has stronger RT performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

If you give a shit about DLSS, go for Nvidia. Rather have a card that can actually play natively, rather than faking it.

I care for 1440p/144FPS.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

If you like the blurry look of DLSS, go with Nvidia. If you're waiting on the release of AMD's answer to DLSS (DirectML), no one has a definite answer when it will be released. If it functions anything like DLSS, expect just a blurry aftereffect. Only real difference is that AMD is working with Microsoft with DirectML, so who knows what kind of outcome we can expect.

If you want a GPU that can handle ray tracing - wait 2 or 3 generations from now before making that one of your buying decisions. Nvidia's current 3080/3090 does handle ray tracing better than AMD's offerings, but it's still a giant hit to performance (and Nvidia has "special" RT cores for this chore). While the RTX cards do handle ray tracing better, the performance hit is still massive and without the blurriness of DLSS added to the use of ray tracing from Nvidia to make it a viable method, the whole use of ray tracing is kind of a moot point right now.

As it stands ray tracing is in the infancy stage and shouldn't be part of your decision making process, neither team can deliver a solid performance here. I'd say at least 2 (maybe 3) generations will have to come and pass before ray tracing is viable...and by then, perhaps Intel will have a solid foothold in the discrete GPU sector.

Your only real concern here is if you're able to get your hands on any of these new GPUs. The way Nvidia and AIB partners have been selling them off like hotcakes to miners/scalpers and allowing so few to hit retailers, you're basically screwed. You either have to be extremely lucky to find one selling at retailer (online or brick & mortar), pay scalper prices or know someone that has an in at a retailer that can hold one for you. As for AMD - they seem so stretched out across so many aspects of devices needing their CPU/GPUs that their cards are even harder to come across....then again, they could be doing the exact same thing as Nvidia and selling them to miners/scalpers and only releasing very tiny batches to the public.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@neatfeatguy: Early DLSS was blurry and shit. DLSS 2 is much better and does not add major blur. The image quality with it is actually very good if you are using the quality setting and not performance. It is basically free performance with similar image quality to native rendering. Not something to play down.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@BassMan: To each their own - you like and use it, fine. To me, its still blurry.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@neatfeatguy: what games have you run it on and had that problem? In some games DLSS2 actually improves image quality (e.g., Control).

I will say the Medium was a blurry mess... not sure why. CP2077 is absolutely gorgeous and the only case where I could tell it was on was when spinning around fast - it's susceptible to its own form of motion blur

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@com2006: You'll gain 30% increase in fps going with that 6800XT.

It's a really bad time to upgrade PC all because of COVID crisis going on, Bitcoin at it's max value - all of those makes the prices go sky rocketing.

If you can afford 3080 right now I'd say go for it - the performance boost is 44% which is better than the 6800XT not including DLSS as you've mention in some games it'll double the fps.

I never take sides - I take the best hardware my money can buy.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

Made the decision to stick with AMD not liking how Nvidia have forced the hand of reviewers to praise their products even if they are garbage like the 3060. Probably going to wait for the next load of cards now anyway, giving you can’t get anything at a reasonable price. And hope AMD get a good DLSS solution and RT performance. 5700 XT with 5600x is working nicely at 1440p