Nvidia dominating over the last 10 years? AMD hits a new low with 10% market share.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Poll Nvidia dominating over the last 10 years? AMD hits a new low with 10% market share. (6 votes)

Yes 67%
No 17%
It's more of a "draw" between the two. 17%

After the recent news that AMD’s GPU market share hit a new low of 10%. Having following the GPU industry over the past 25+ years this the first time I have seen ATI/AMD hit this low, which is sad. But it goes back to my point that isn't it obvious that 10 years of nVIdia dominance has finally come to it’s logical conclusion? If we go back the last 10 years and count the wins vs losses it’s apparent that nVidia has more wins that losses. 10 years ago nVidia launched the GTX 680, AMD countered with the HD 7970 Ghz Edition. It was a toss up between the two with AMD offering 1GB more than the 2GB 680. So, that’s a draw between the two. After the launch of the R9 290X, AMD took back the performance crown with it beating the original Titan at half the price of a Titan. Ironically that was the last High End AMD GPU I had with the XFX R9 390X Double Dissipation. Then I would say nVidia took the next 3 wins with Maxwell, Pascal and Turing all beating AMD’s high end. Not saying AMD didn’t have good GPU’s. The RX 580 was good against the GTX 1060 6GB (coming from 1060 6GB owner and after switching to nVidia 5 years ago), the RX 5700/ XT did good against the RTX 2070 and RTX 2060. But still lost out to the high end, the RTX 2080 Ti or even the 2080. It wasn’t until RX 6900XT that AMD really tied nVidia with it beating the RTX 3090 in Rasterization but losing it to the RTX 3090 in Ray Tracing (that’s something I am readily willing to admit as someone who got a RTX 3090). So, another draw. I am going to wait until to see where the RX 7900 XTX and the 7900 lands as it’s been only two and a half weeks. Apparently, AMD is having it’s engineers work over the holidays as there seems to be some bugs and since it’s AMD’s first Muti-die chip but it looks like it beats the RTX 4080 in Rasterization but loses in Ray Tracing and loses by a lot to the RTX 4090.

According to TechpowerUp though the 7900 XTX can overclock much higher up to 3.0 GHz and can get closer to the RTX 4090. It may be that AMD is waiting for driver fixes (and tweaks to release something like a RDNA 3+ like they did with the original Zen+) next year to get closer to the RTX 4090 and much less price.

Regardless, I am seeing 2 Draws, 1 Wins and 3 Loses for AMD over the past 10 years. So, it’s clear that nVidia is the undisputed winner over the past 10 years. No?

• 
KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3428 Posts

I don't know how the numbers fair when you take into account the console market. It would be cool to have Nvidia back in the home console space, the og Xbox was such a powerful machine.

But as things are there's little reason to have proper competition. Weirdly Intel is our only hope.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I'm surprised to hear that AMD only has a 10% share in the GPU market. They trail Nvidia for a while now, sure, but it's a broad market, not everyone needs the fastest GPU and Ray Tracing and AMD cards are priced according to their performance relative to Nvidias. In some cases they clearly offer more for the price, depending on the segment and particular market.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3428 Posts

@girlusocrazy: That's why I've said home console.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 945 Posts

Lol I knew people wouldnt put their money where their mouth is...

When Nvidia announced their new line of GPUs and their ridiculous prices almost everyone jumped on them claiming they would be supporting AMD from now on. AMD has better value for the buck, thats a fact, but people just like to suck on Nvidia for some reason

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#6 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I'm surprised to hear that AMD only has a 10% share in the GPU market. They trail Nvidia for a while now, sure, but it's a broad market, not everyone needs the fastest GPU and Ray Tracing and AMD cards are priced according to their performance relative to Nvidias. In some cases they clearly offer more for the price, depending on the segment and particular market.

Yes it's surprising. nVidia flooded the market with the RTX 3000 series. They weren't constrained by TSMC having to share wafers with EPYC, Ryzen CPU's and Apple product since they made their on Samsung node. While AMD had to choose with EPYC and Ryzen being priority since profit margins were higher I would say that is part of it.

@vatususreturns said:

When Nvidia announced their new line of GPUs and their ridiculous prices almost everyone jumped on them claiming they would be supporting AMD from now on. AMD has better value for the buck, thats a fact, but people just like to suck on Nvidia for some reason

Marketing and Mind-share would say part of the reason.

WadeKuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WadeKuun
Member since 2012 • 161 Posts

Thats because 5 years ago AMD moved their resources to CPU development of Ryzen and away from the GPU division cutting almost 60% of their budget which is what gave us VEGA and Raja Kaduri leaving for Intel. But yeah Nvidia seems to have struck gold with RTX.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts
@vatususreturns said:

Those number are from before the 4000 and 7000 were released, but it's strange how low AMD got seeing that they actually lowered the prices on 6000 series, while 3000 are still over MSRP.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@rmpumper said:
@vatususreturns said:

Those number are from before the 4000 and 7000 were released, but it's strange how low AMD got seeing that they actually lowered the prices on 6000 series, while 3000 are still over MSRP.

Their market share is even smaller now. They only care about mass profits, they will pull out of the GPU race.