Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

So my Ryzen 5 1600 X RX 570 build died on my a few days ago, and I've decided to just build a whole new computer since I don't know if it's just the motherboard or the whole thing. (And quite frankly I'm fed up with my AMD boards dying on me.) What do you think of my parts?

Intel core I3 9100f + micro atx motherboard (Anything that's not Gegabyte on the MB side)

16 GB DDR4 2666 mhz ram

MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP/DVI 4GB GDRR5 (Low profile compatible)

400 watt psu (80+)

micro ATX tower or small form factor case (Hence why I went with a GTX 1650 LP instead of another RX 570 or something a bit more powerful)

I already have my hard drives which include

2X 1 TB SSD Harddrives

1X 2 TB HHD

I'm also wanting to add in one of my old DVD drives since I kinda like the look of a computer with a disk drive of some sort.

So...what do you think? I know it won't be quite as powerful as my previous desktop and most likely won't play many of the later next gen games, (Outside of 1080p lowest settings), but I don't really care about that nowadays.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

3300X or 3600X, that CPU is garbage.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

3300X or 3600X, that CPU is garbage.

That'll double the cost of the 9100F for no good reason the performance for gaming and desktop experience is the same, unless he's going for editing a bit more powerful that AMD.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I would buy a 4-core CPU in 2020.

I haven't been paying attention since I built my last pc. Are 9000-series Intel i3 and i5 chips not hyper-threaded. That is super lame.

I'm not saying it wont work, but I also don't know for how much longer you can get away with 4 cores for Win 10 plus a game as more software devs assume people have lots of cores. I wish it were a 6-core, but the next size up i5 is double the price, and still isn't hyper-threaded.

Intel doesn't really seem to bring the value at the low end.

*shrug* It's probably fine. Upgrade your CPU later if you have issues.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

@blazepanzer24: Not good at all. If your boards are dying on you why not return them? Don't nuke everything! Whats up with your boards dying? That is not normal. How many boards died on you?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

If you won't be playing any games you may as well get Ryzen 5 3400G and some 3200 MHz RAM. It should be a little cheaper than this Intel Nvidia combo and you can add a GPU later. You would also have better CPU upgrade options than with Intel, maybe not to 4000 series but Ryzen 7/9 3000 series would still be a huge upgrade. AMD boards dying is not a thing, just pick one with good reviews and good warranty.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

You either have the worst luck or there is something wrong on your end. Boards should not be dying. Also, why wouldn't you troubleshoot a bit to see what actually died? It could just be the power supply and everything else is fine. Salvage what you can and only replace what is necessary. Especially since you aren't really upgrading with that new build. If it is the board that died again... have all the dead boards been using the same power supply? If so, I would change that out for sure. Also, make sure your system is plugged into a power bar that has surge protection.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@pyro1245: You'd be surprised how well my i5 4690 performs nowdays running most modern games on high-max settings

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

I greatly appreciate all the advice, thank you!!

To be honest I'm not too sure why my motherboards keep failing, though I suspect the reason why is because the last three motherboards I bought over the last six years where cheaper $65 boards. The last two were Gegabyte motherboards, which the first caught on fire after about a weak and the second...well first it started only showing one stick of ram and while I was able to fix that one after reinstalling the os, it not only started doing it again a weak later, but now it won't start properly on the first time. Given that, I'm suspecting it could be multiple component failure, mainly the motherboard, but possible the ram and power supply as well.

At the end of the day though I've ended up ordering a HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0020 mini tower. Sure, I could have saved money by building my own, but the build I was planing on building would have cost me about $650 with shipping and tax, were as the HP cost me about $758. The upgrade from the Core i3 9100f to the Core i5 9400f in addition to the convenience factor is worth the extra hundred in my opinion.