Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 FirstDawn
Member since 2020 • 62 Posts

Hi All

I have game pass, and as we all know, series X games will come to PC as well. But the question I dont see answered is will the PC version launch the same day as the series X version of the game? For example Halo. If it does, what exactly is the point of buying a series X console? It has been my experience that PC games come much much later, so I can understand buying a series X to play the game right away if the PC version comes later.

I have searched like crazy, and I see mentions of PC version's coming of those games, but dont see a deliberate mention of the timing.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@firstdawn: I don't think anyone knows the answer yet, TBH. For a while MS was treating PC as an afterthought, at best, and I think they'd readily delay PC versions to give the console a leg up. I'm not so sure that's true now - if anything I think every policy they unveil seems to be embracing PC and a platform-free mentality. And so I think there's a good chance most if not all XSX titles will come to PC at the same time or even sooner (as is the case with Flight Simulator). Possible exceptions to that would be if they needed to or wanted to do more customization to the title for PC before just dumping a console port on us

FirstDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FirstDawn
Member since 2020 • 62 Posts

@xantufrog: Hi, and thanks for the response.

That's kind of what I figured.

As a gamepass user, I dont see the value in purchasing the series X since I own a really powerfull gaming rig. The value for me would be to buy a PS5, and use the pass to get all the exclusive stuff on PC.

Why would MS do this? My guess is to get you hooked on the pass, so whether you buy a series X or pass they get the $$ anyway.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@firstdawn said:

Why would MS do this? My guess is to get you hooked on the pass, so whether you buy a series X or pass they get the $$ anyway.

I think that's the nail on the head. Their bread and butter has always been software anyway - and making lots and lots of moola. I don't think their current administration particularly cares about "winning" a console war if their market research suggests they'll get more money by supporting multiple platforms

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

IIRC from the recent Xbox games showcase thingy....

Most, if not all, Xbox first-party games will release on both platforms day 1.

There was a specific point when they started showing 'console launch exclusive games'. Everything that appeared before that was implied to launch on both.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

@xantufrog:

@xantufrog said:

@firstdawn: I don't think anyone knows the answer yet, TBH. For a while MS was treating PC as an afterthought, at best, and I think they'd readily delay PC versions to give the console a leg up. I'm not so sure that's true now - if anything I think every policy they unveil seems to be embracing PC and a platform-free mentality. And so I think there's a good chance most if not all XSX titles will come to PC at the same time or even sooner (as is the case with Flight Simulator). Possible exceptions to that would be if they needed to or wanted to do more customization to the title for PC before just dumping a console port on us

Yea, my feelings exactly. MS seems really in on blurring the platform lines and I highly doubt Halo or any of their Series X games will be delayed on PC. Like you said, the fact that Flight Simulator actually came to PC before Xbox is proof of this.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@firstdawn said:

I think that's the nail on the head. Their bread and butter has always been software anyway - and making lots and lots of moola. I don't think their current administration particularly cares about "winning" a console war if their market research suggests they'll get more money by supporting multiple platforms

This, and honestly, I don't think it's a bad strategy. Consoles are usually sold at a loss for the first few years in the hopes software sales will make up for it. They may come out ahead selling less consoles, but more games.

The Series X would still be relevant though. Some people prefer a small, cheaper machine that's easy to use and can be hooked to the TV.