Unity-engine games run really slow (recently upgrade hardware)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Hello All-

So I recently made a new PC (13th gen Intel CPU, DDR5 memory, RTX 3080) and noticed that some of my games were running really slow when they previously did not on my older PC.

The first game was Untitled Goose Game, which basically failed to load. I could hear music but the screen was blank (or rather, it was showing my Windows screen) despite the tab for the game being on my taskbar.

Then I next noticed it on Cities: Skylines. Game was a straight stutter, couldn't even navigate the menu.

Then I finally noticed it on Desperados III, the lovely stealth game from Mimimi. Crashed twice, then loaded once but, again, stutter.

So I did a quick search and what do these games have in common?

UNITY game engine!

So I was curious if anyone on here has a fix or has heard of this before. It's very frustrating because Unity is not a demanding game engine, nor are these games particularly taxing on my system (or rather, they shouldn't be)

Thanks in advance.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mrbojangles25

Well I updated my drivers and that seemed to do the trick.

That's the default advice I guess for problems like this but I feel like it is the first time it's ever actually solved my problem 🤣😜

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Poor Unity getting no love.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25

@BassMan said:

Poor Unity getting no love.

I actually think it's a cool engine (I'm not a professional though, just from a consumer standpoint I mean). It's not the prettiest engine but it does the job well as far as I can tell.

Lots of good games use it.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

That's the default advice I guess for problems like this but I feel like it is the first time it's ever actually solved my problem 🤣😜

Sometimes I wish we could mark the correct answer in a thread to help others if they experience the same issue.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sometimes I wish we could mark the correct answer in a thread to help others if they experience the same issue.

Yeah it is a nice feature, at least on the Steam forums (which iirc is the only time I've seen it used).

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Did you do a fresh install of windows?

Also you can force perfer max performance with game profiles in the nvidia control panel

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25

@04dcarraher said:

Did you do a fresh install of windows?

Also you can force perfer max performance with game profiles in the nvidia control panel

Yup, fresh install.

I did try to play around with the control panel but I must have been in some safe mode or something.

Anyway, it's working now (see above) after updating drivers. Which I thought I did when I updated everything after my windows install, but I guess maybe nvidia released a bad one? *shrug*