What is the best laptop for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordelXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 LordelXP
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

What is the best laptop out there for playing PC games. I know, I know, everyone is going to say "get a desktop" if you want to play games, but if you have to own a laptop anyway as your main computer, why not get one that plays games?

I know that there are probably no laptops available over the next few months that could run Vista, let alone have video cards that can support Direct X 10. Does anyone game on a laptop? If so, what kind of experience is it when you want to play the newest games?

DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DuaneDog
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts
Check out the DELL XPS series. I have the M1710 and it is awesome for games. I also use it extensively for busines related work. But when I'm not working on it the thing can game!
jmanw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 jmanw
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
btw: even intel integrated graphics can run vista.  Check out some of the Asus laptops on Newegg.  Any of the moblie gpu's are fine for playing games last year or before with high graphics, and new games on medium; geforce go 7600/7700/7800/7900, Ati x1600/1700, Atix2300 (comes out soon, first dxd 10 mobile gpu).
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Dell's XPS line is your best bet if money is not an issue. The M1710 with a GeForce 7950GTX is the best gaming laptop out there now, aside from a handful of laptops that support SLI. I think Alienware sells a few, although I'd imagine the heat they put out is incredible.

If money is an issue you can still get a good experience with the Inspiron line...the E1705 can be configured with a 7900GS, which is powerful enough to run most new games at high settings. I have one of them myself, although the screen upgrade I went with (1920x1200) also means that I'm either gaming at slower speeds because I'm using the native resolution, or it's upscaling a lower resolution. Would be less of an issue if I had a lower res external monitor.

Still, I can play Company of Heroes and Oblivion and such with the details fairly high. Company of Heroes in particular runs really well on it at 1920x1200, so long as I keep AA off. And on a 17" screen you can't really tell the difference anyway.

rik666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 rik666
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
The dell xps laptops are great. gateway do some sweet ones too. But of course, money no object..: http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_m9700/aurora-m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT