What's the difference between "Turn-based strategy" and "Turn-based tactics"?

j3325071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By j3325071
Member since 2016 • 17 Posts

Hi all, title says it all: what is the difference between a "Turn-based strategy" game and a "Turn-based tactics" game?

I already know how "real-time strategy" (Like starcraft, red alert and AoE) and "real-time tactics" (Like S.W.I.N.E and company of heroes) differ: RTT is basically RTS without base-building, unit-production and resources gathering, also some RTS games may contain few missions that resemble RTT style.

However I'm new to the turn-based war games and still can't tell the difference between an TBS and TBT.

In some discussions I see online ,or in Wikipedia, a specific game is given as an example of TBS in one place and as a TBT in another, meaning that -at least to me- the line between TBS and TBT is more blurry than the one between RTS and RTT.

The only thing I gathered -which could be wrong- is that TBS usually has "bigger/larger scale" than TBT, just as RTS is more robust than RTT. Are there other differences that I missed?

Thanks to whoever could clear up the difference.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Turn-based strategy is on a larger scale; you're usually commanding armies, building nations, and otherwise playing god or president or supreme leader. Maps tend to scale more towards the size of entire countries or even the world/galaxy/etc.

Some TBS games are:

• Civilization series
  • Total War series (at least on the campaign map)
  • Age of Wonders series
  • Endless Space, Endless Legend

Turn-based tactics tend to happen on a smaller scale; you're often commanding squads of soldiers or small amount of units. Battles tend to take place on battlefield maps, not regional or larger maps.

Some TBT games are:

• XCOM
  • Gears Tactics
  • Battletech
  • Into the Breach

Just my opinion FYI, others might disagree.

I would say that most games in both categories belong to the TBS overarching genre, and TBT is sub-genre of it. In other words, all TBT games are TBS games, but not all TBS games are TBT games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17822 Posts

They are both shit. That is all you need to know.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7307 Posts

I basically agree with everything @mrbojangles25: said, but if I were to break it down in one sentence:

You use tactics to fight battles, you use strategy to win wars (or build civilizations).

Avatar image for nate_the_not_great_but_okay
Nate_The_Not_Great_But_Okay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Nate_The_Not_Great_But_Okay
Member since 2018 • 38 Posts

Back in the day, you had Turn-Based Strategy, Real-Time Strategy and Tactics. The difference was that Strategy games were about building, maneuvering and conquering, and you general developed by upgrading resources.

Tactics, on the other hand, were turn-based Strategy-RPG hybrids that were generally focused on unit-leveling, character development and story. And units only leveled by combat and quest completion.

So, one would assume that Turn-Based Tactics would be a redundant turn on the Tactics genre, particularly if these games were about character leveling on top of the other development options that come with other Strategy-genre trappings.

BdazmedPrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 BdazmedPrim
Member since 2021 • 53 Posts

For me the difference is the same as in RTS and RTT, but with turns

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17669 Posts

Turn based strategy is waging the war, turn based tactics is fighting the battle. It’s simply a subset existing in the same genre.