How big publishers takes the decision of remaking games?

danielpacheco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 danielpacheco
Member since 2018 • 159 Posts

Hi all,

I am very optimistic with the idea see any day my favourite games remade for PS4, there were some typical games that had been remaking for Sony again and much more sure that will comes.

I would like to know how they are taking those decision.

- Are they taking this decision only based in their previous sales? If was like that, why Capcom remade first Resident Evil 1? RE2 sold more than RE1, right?

Of course in big companies they have a lot of guys that also research and follow market trends so I guess that the decision is not just as easy as this game sold a lot in the past.

There are any article, interview or something where talks about this?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I don't think there is a global answer as it will depend on the company and the people in charge. Aside from what you said I also think there are aspects like "How easy is it to port / enhance". Then there might be legal issues. Like SE would have a hug eissue remastering Crisis Core with the guy who Genesis is based on not wanting to be in their games anymore.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

I don't think there is a global answer as it will depend on the company and the people in charge. Aside from what you said I also think there are aspects like "How easy is it to port / enhance". Then there might be legal issues. Like SE would have a hug eissue remastering Crisis Core with the guy who Genesis is based on not wanting to be in their games anymore.

Yep, theres lots of legal issues. Day of the Tentacle remaster shouldn't of happened at all. Tim Schafer (The developer) had to get the rights from Disney. Schafer described getting the rights to Day of the Tentacle a "miracle" though aided by the fact that many of the executives in the legal rights chain had fond memories of playing these games. The rights a lot of games rights just get lost too, between companies going bust and mergers. So no one wants to touch them.

danielpacheco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 danielpacheco
Member since 2018 • 159 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

@npiet1 said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

Yep, theres lots of legal issues. Day of the Tentacle remaster shouldn't of happened at all. Tim Schafer (The developer) had to get the rights from Disney. Schafer described getting the rights to Day of the Tentacle a "miracle" though aided by the fact that many of the executives in the legal rights chain had fond memories of playing these games. The rights a lot of games rights just get lost too, between companies going bust and mergers. So no one wants to touch them.

I didn´t yhink about legal issues so is a good point!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#5 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

If only things were simple. :( HD remasters are definitely where most of my money goes.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@speeny: I'm the same, There so good though. You know your getting the full game without paying for DLC and with a lot better graphics.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@npiet1: I just really love to relive the classics man. If I love the game I'll buy it over and over again. To preserve these older games they have to release them digitally of course and I still want a lot of games to come to Steam just because I feel as if Steam offers the most promising/robust digital service still to this day so far.