Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

So did you ever try to speedrun a game?

If so try to mention how long it took for you.

For me, the only game I completed speedrunning was 007 the world is not enough on the N64. I kinda suck at speedrunning lol.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

For a playthrough of an entire game, not officially. I've tried going as fast as I can while playing the classic Sonic, Sonic Rush, and Mega Man games, but I don't like taking advantage of glitches, so I've never bothered to track my time. For newer games like Sonic Generations, I have done speedruns for certain levels, such as Modern Planet Wisp, and I've ranked as high as within the top 25 on the xbox live and steam leader boards.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

These are basically the same type of strategies I do, give or take certain shortcuts, and again I don't use glitches.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

The only thing I can think of is Goldeneye (N64) and Starcraft II, but it was to get cheats/achievements. I never did a speedrun for the hell of it.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I have tried to speedrun, and I have never succeeded at doing that all the way through the game. I like to take my time in games, and speedruning gets old fast for me.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@speedfog: I've done a few but it's harder to speed run on new games than old games.

Super Metroid - 2 hours and 10 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog - 1 hour and 20 minutes

Halo 1 - 4 hours and 50 minutes

Tomb Raider 1 - 6 hours and 5 minutes

Tomb Raider 2 - 4 hours

Final Fantasy 7 - 27 hours and 40 minutes

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@SOedipus said:

The only thing I can think of is Goldeneye (N64) and Starcraft II, but it was to get cheats/achievements. I never did a speedrun for the hell of it.

same here. i remember trying forever to unlock invincibility in goldeneye was so excited when i finally got it :)

Nota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Nota
Member since 2016 • 50 Posts

I have speed ran a few games, one of those including Final Fantasy IV. The only time I ever had the best time in a game was in a Barbie GBA game and that was only because there was no competition in it. After more runners took it up and optimized it, my time was easily beaten.

To get to the top 10 on really popular games, it takes extreme amounts of dedication. The more runners on a game, the more tricks, glitches, and strategies for optimal performance through the game are discovered and used. A game with only a few active runners generally will progress very slowly. A game like Super Mario 64 that has hundreds of speed runners continues to progress much more quickly.

Final Fantasy IV for example a couple years back progressed very slowly in new strategy formation until a new crop of runners began to dissect everything about it. At this point in time there's 3 main routes. In the fastest you can warp directly to the credits from the Dwarf Castle in the underground. The 2nd fastest lets you defeat the final boss in a single attack with a glitched out enemy spell named "uptCo". The older route before these other 2 routes were discovered has you go through most of the game normally yet you still use some glitches in order to get tons of gold (whatever the in game currency is called), weapons you're not supposed to have early, skip a specific boss fight, and continuously revive a certain enemy to gain your one character tons of levels in a single battle which saves a decent amount of time.

Yeah, these are very vague descriptions of that specific game in question. If you're ever interested in speed running any game, the communities are generally pretty friendly. Many speed running communities have discord channels where you can talk to other runners if you're interested in running a specific game. Most speed runners stream live on twitch and if you're genuinely interested in a doing a run, 90% of them will help you out or at least send you in the right direction.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have never tried, but if I was to choose a game it would be the original Doom.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@SOedipus said:

same here. i remember trying forever to unlock invincibility in goldeneye was so excited when i finally got it :)

Invisibility was the toughest for me. I always got it by 1-2 seconds.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

No,I always found speedrunning a lot more fun to watch than to actually do,when I´m playing I can never bring myself to play the game as fast as I can.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@comp_atkins said:
@SOedipus said:

Invisibility was the toughest for me. I always got it by 1-2 seconds.

yup. that one too was tough if i remember. those were also the 2 that i wanted the most.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@killered3 said:

@speedfog: I've done a few but it's harder to speed run on new games than old games.

Super Metroid - 2 hours and 10 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog - 1 hour and 20 minutes

Halo 1 - 4 hours and 50 minutes

Tomb Raider 1 - 6 hours and 5 minutes

Tomb Raider 2 - 4 hours

Final Fantasy 7 - 27 hours and 40 minutes

That's not bad.

And yeah it's true altough some games are just running and ignoring everything until you go to the next cutscene.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@speedfog: It wouldn't be a speed run if it weren't about ignoring all the fun stuff. Uncharted, Gears of War and most 3rd person shooters these are short as f### as it is. A speed run in those games is like eating cheesecake as fast as possible. If you can't enjoy it, why bother?

Metal Gear Solid 4 was the biggest challenge. The damn thing was 70% cinemas, and 30% gameplay. I always fall asleep 2 hours in, waiting for the cut scene to end.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I have not. I don't think I could handle trying to memorize the levels and any glitches to that degree. I prefer to savor the moments - but it can be fun to watch

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

No, I just play for nostalgia fix more than anything.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Back when I was younger (I think I was 16) I kind of tried to speedrun Metroid Prime. I never intended to make any records, I just did it for fun. I think i managed to beat it in around three hours, and the world record was at around two and a half at the time.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I do Mario 64 speed runs, it's been awhile.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Only reason I've speedrunned a game was because I couldn't afford a memory card back in the day lol. It was a Matrix game, I finished it in 3-4 hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

For any other game I ran (MegaMan X, Ninja Gaiden, Shovel Knight, etc.) it was just a matter of me playing the game and enjoying it enough to play through it a lot, so I learned a speedrunning route and started running it.