oganifrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By oganifrun
Member since 2024 • 2 Posts

I recently pulled my old N64 out of storage and the games looked AWFUL on my tv. Like the characters had no faces bad. Someone told me it’s my newer tv that’s the problem. I kinda want something bigger than an old 13 inch Toshiba though, does anyone have any advice on a good place to start looking?

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

The N64 looks bad on a modern HD and 4K TV's, it won't make much of a difference what the TV is. It won't look any good old small 20" TV either. The biggest issue is the 240p problem. Modern TV's can't upscale this low resolution. The N64 was also designed for the limitations of CRT's in mind which tended to blur details slightly. When played on modern TVs, these filters can further exacerbate the blurriness issues.

There are some fixes though.

A working CRT TV with an S video port.

RGB or HDMI hardware mod for your old console to improve its picture quality on modern TV's.

Retrotink 5x upscaler. While you can buy many cheap upscaler devices online, they actually contain the same processing chip that your TV has. This won't improve the picture quality much, if at all. The Retrotink devices contain advanced image processing technology built around an FPGA. What's more, it will make your N64 look excellent on modern TV.