uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

Preferred the original clean look, so many pixel games. Seems like a step back in that regard, looks somewhat generic now. Oh wells.

All of which is to say that I'm actually quite excited about 30XX. On a fundamental level, it looks to adhere to the same basic formula as its predecessor - procedural rogue-like, local and online co-op run-and-gun action, and so on - but it'll introduce eight new level themes, each with their own visuals, bosses, and music (the original's soundtrack was fab, incidentally), as well as "new metagame progression that puts the game's challenges squarely in your hands".

The most obvious change, however, is a shift from 20XX's pleasantly nondescript aesthetic to a striking "hi-bit" pixel art style, which is the work of Glauber Kotaki, who served as animator on the likes of Rogue Legacy, Duelyst, and Chasm. You can revel in its vibrant dots via the announcement trailer above.

30XX is currently scheduled to launch on PC and unspecified consoles some time in 2021.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Love the art style and mega man inspired (rip off) gameplay, but I dont like the whole rouge like side of things so I'll pass.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

I'm listening!!!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I'll stick to Azura strike n Mega Man 11, rogue lite is not my jam. Maybe I'll give 20xx a go tho.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

20XX still feels like "level design" than rando shit, if that makes sense.

On a Steam sale with a mate it's basically a steal.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34774 Posts

Looks pretty cool. That's what I said about the first one and proceeded to never play it..

Roguelikes are fun, but I can only stomach a few, since they're big and never end. Dead Cells or Binding of Isaac are probably the first games I'll play next time I get the urge for a roguelike.

Then there's Spelunky & Rogue Legacy (which I also play from time to time), not to talk about Children of Morta or Rad. They're all good, but.. too many, man.

I've also yet to try out Darkest Dungeon, which looks pretty awesome as well.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

I think 20XX taught me that I don't like the game play style of Mega Man as much as I thought I did.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

I think 20XX taught me that I don't like the game play style of Mega Man as much as I thought I did.

That's what Mighty No. 9 said lol.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Weird graphical style, I love 8-bit looking games but it just seems odd that a game that is emulating the X series would go for an 8-bit asthetic. It looks fun, I'll probably pick it up on sale, but I do not like rogue-lites in general. I did finish 20XX, it was fun, but there are so many good mega man fan games out there that games like this don't seem worth it.

I just finished playing through Mega Man Rock and Roll, an absolutely brilliant game, that lets you play as both Roll and Mega Man, and is at least as good, if not better, then any commercial Mega Man release, with free games like that floating around I get much less excited about games like this.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

20XX still feels like "level design" than rando shit, if that makes sense.

On a Steam sale with a mate it's basically a steal.

Literally means nothing. Spelunky has random generated sequences, but it's level gimmicks play better with its core systems. Counterspy is an example of something that will feel less mish mash, and more like a cohesive level for people way too into ebb n flow.

The problem with a rogue lite, is that the core mechanical loop, and the obstacles actually have to have more depth than standard fare. Mega Man in contrast is a far simpler game than Spelunky's brand of platforming, ditto Castlevania is another example. So when you just try to keep what are more static elements of obstacles n spaces, you either get rogue lites that get exhausting to play because it just isn't complex enough to carry the run time, or they try to mitigate things with a rpg treadmill like Rogue Legacy.

Where the game eventually well be offset by how beefed up your cat is.

Judging by the trailer they do a good job of retooling how the players kit works and how objects/enemies respond to said kit versus say how proper Mega Man works.

/end rant.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

Yea was just about to say that.

The video games.

jg4xchamp