Batman Arkham Origins gameplay at tgs 2013

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Monkey_N1nga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Monkey_N1nga
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/09/19/batman-arkham-origins-gameplay-tgs-2013

Game looks pretty sweet so far, looks identical to arkham city which is good.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It looks a lot like Batman Arkham City which isn't a bad thing. Afterall it is my game of the generation.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

It looks a lot like Batman Arkham City which isn't a bad thing. Afterall it is my game of the generation.

Pikminmaniac
Except AA was much better and you have poor taste. :)
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

Pikminmaniac
I thought the same thing. Looks good!
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59031 Posts

Lots of recycled animations. Expansion pack.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup  Online

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

percech

Hugo Strange was an awsome villain. Sadly, he got pushed aside to focus yet again on the frankly, overdone joker.

Joker has got to be the most overrated villain around. Bane (not the stupid one from the game) is a far better villain.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

uninspiredcup

Hugo Strange was an awsome villain. Sadly, he got pushed aside to focus yet again on the frankly, overdone joker.

Joker has got to be the most overrated villain around. Bane (not the stupid one from the game) is a far better villain.

Yeah I was annoyed that I had to deal with Joker again. As if it wasn't enough in AA.
GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts
[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

percech

AA had a better paced story. AC had better everything else.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

The actual gameplay in the video is the same demo that they played on their press conference at E3 and on Gamespot's live stage demo during E3.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GiantAssPanda
Anyone else hate the new batsuit? I hope there is an option to use the classic batsuit.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Anyone else hate the new batsuit? I hope there is an option to use the classic batsuit.GiantAssPanda
The new batsuit isn't much different than the other Arkham games batsuits. The only differences is that the suit is more bulky because Batman is still new at crimefighting.

http://images.wikia.com/arkhamcity/images/4/44/Batman-Origins.jpghttp://images.wikia.com/arkhamcity/images/2/21/ArkhamAsylumRenderBatman.jpg

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

uninspiredcup

You hipsters need to get a life :P

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clone01

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

[QUOTE="percech"] Except AA was much better and you have poor taste. :)Joedgabe

You hipsters need to get a life :P the Joker is an awesome villan plus his death was a great ending for the game.

Yo, dude. Spoilers. I know its an old game, but I haven't beaten it yet :(
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

All the batman games this gen have been awesome. 

Rocksteady isn't developing this one, but I'm still quietly confident this will be an excellent game. 

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

clone01

You hipsters need to get a life :P the Joker is an awesome villan plus his death was a great ending for the game.

My baaad sorry :P it's just soo old i thought it was well known by now @_@

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup  Online

Joker is way overused. Sick of him. Just pandering to mainstream with the most well known as oppossed to good characters.

Hell, he isnt even a character.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Probaly there will be a bunch of people saying it's Arkham 1.5, especially because it's not developed by Rocksteady (hopefully they're doing that Justice League game) but I'm confident the game will deliver. And probaly won't be the big step foward tht Arkham City was compared to Asylum, but it will be a worth sequel. 

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

uninspiredcup

Bane is a sick man!
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

GiantAssPanda

Pacing is really, really important. AA obviously had more refined mechanics but it felt like an effort to pack every major Batman villain in a single game.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
X-X-X-X-Y X-X-X X-X-X-Y-X-X-X-Y As badass as it is to be Batman, I have to admit the combat leaves a lot to be desired in terms of functional depth. It's got the strategic depth for sure, but it's just so simple to play.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I don't understand why people are content with playing just more of the same. This is how we end up with Call of Duty. The first game was so fresh because there had been really nothing like it before.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 psymon100

X-X-X-X-Y X-X-X X-X-X-Y-X-X-X-Y As badass as it is to be Batman, I have to admit the combat leaves a lot to be desired in terms of functional depth. It's got the strategic depth for sure, but it's just so simple to play.foxhound_fox

lol

I can instantly tell that you lack experience with the game, I can't accept such criticism because it obviously comes from a position of ignorance. 

In Arkham City and Asylum, it is simply not possible to be as restrictive as that in your combat throughout the course of the game. There are enemies who require specific strategies in order to defeat them. There are many different moves which get unlocked, and the variety is there. 

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clone01

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

Joedgabe

My baaad sorry :P it's just soo old i thought it was well known by now @_@

lol. No worries. I need to get through that game!
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]X-X-X-X-Y X-X-X X-X-X-Y-X-X-X-Y As badass as it is to be Batman, I have to admit the combat leaves a lot to be desired in terms of functional depth. It's got the strategic depth for sure, but it's just so simple to play.

I think the rhythmic nature of the game makes up for it, especially in city given all the gadgets you get do some more elaborate combos. Plus the game paces itself well enough between the stealth and the combat. It doesn't stack up against hack n slash combat games, but pure beat em ups it's being clowned by what? God Hand? That game wasn't exactly varied(though all kinds of badass). Plus it does what the AC combat scheme tries to do "Stay simple, but fluid and flashy" but with some impact to the hits.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="GiantAssPanda"][QUOTE="percech"] Except AA was much better and you have poor taste. :)princeofshapeir

Pacing is really, really important. AA obviously had more refined mechanics but it felt like an effort to pack every major Batman villain in a single game.

I play games for gameplay, design, and content. Story is very low on the list. Batman Arkham City had better combat, better stealth, more exploration, FAR superior riddler collectibles, and an improved challenge mode... It completely and utterly outclassed the first game IMHO. It's not even close. Going back to the first which I used have sucha high opinion of is painful after playin the sequel. 

P.S. I never understood the argument for pacing in video games. It works in movies and Tv better than anything else because timing is up to the directors and writers. Games are played at the player's pace. If the game is managing your pace, I find that to be a huge no no.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="GiantAssPanda"] AA had a better paced story. AC had better everything else.Pikminmaniac

I play games for gameplay, design, and content. Story is very low on the list. Batman Arkham City had better combat, better stealth, more exploration, FAR superior riddler collectibles, and an improved challenge mode... It completely and utterly outclassed the first game IMHO. It's not even close. Going back to the first which I used have sucha high opinion of is painful after playin the sequel. 

P.S. I never understood the argument for pacing in video games. It works in movies and Tv better than anything else because timing is up to the directors and writers. Games are played at the player's pace. If the game is managing your pace, I find that to be a huge no no.

Pacing isn't just about story...
GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GiantAssPanda

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="GiantAssPanda"] AA had a better paced story. AC had better everything else.Pikminmaniac

Yup. Arkham City improved so many aspects from Arkham Asylum that I simply can't go back to playing it anymore.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp

Pacing isn't just a story thing, it's as much an element of gameplay. A game can have exceptional mechanics in a genre and be lesser for weak pacing(Max Payne 3), while a game with lesser mechanics is a better experience for its pacing(Half Life 2). Not saying that Arkham City doesn't add some more layers to the combat, but that's really all it does better mechanically is the combat. The level design in both games is a toss up at best(there are entire stealth segments that were more satisfying in Asylum), the stealth while really well done, still has its blemishes along the way(namely how easy it is to take advantage of that AI with basic tactics), and the combat is still realtively shallow.

Pacing in a linear game like these two means a lot. It means you're doing one or two things that either out right feel like drag to do(I read Work), or you're not progressively building up between your highs and lows. Asylum due to not being in a sandbox/open world and being more in a ghetto Metroid-lite environment allows Rocksteady to pace the flow of that game with some much needed direction. Pacing in an action game is how the game uses its encounter design and varies itself. What the game does to keep itself from ever getting monotone and repetitive. It's not about pacing the plot(both were weak ass plots compared to what Batman has had in comics or DC's animated stuff), as much as pacing one gameplay scenario to the next.

And in that regard I frankly would argue City hits more lulls. Especially given the City itself which was a bland ass environment in comparison to the more detailed and interesting stuff in Asylum. Plus you didn't deal with any of this "You gotta glide around the giant U shape thing to get to your spot, because pfft actually just letting you get right to it right?} in asylum.

Also as far as secrets go Asylum did those way better as the riddles were much better done and far more clever than the puzzles City throws at you. On the flip side City just has more raw content, better combat mechanics, and more gadgets to play around with. Plus none of the boss fights are as bad as Killer Croc or the host of bosses in Asylum. On the flip side atmosphere, pacing, and the moment to moment build up is in Asylum's favor. The games other work of brilliance is that it has side missions actually worth doing, which most sandbox/open world action games can not lay claim to. Although I think it has some dumb structure rules for that.

Personally both are really good games, and very well designed stuff. Probably some of the better games of their year(not the best, because Demon's Souls and Dark Souls exist, also SpaceChem). But it's not that crazy to enjoy Asylum more given that it's all around tighter from start to finish. City ends up being a more fleshed out game mechanically and more of a playground for Batman. Similar base, but different style of games.

Plus no way in hell is pacing not tied to gameplay. A poorly paced game is going to be a lesser playing game for it.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Arkham City > Arkham Asylum, by a considerable margin. 

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
I came. I clicked on the link Saw MGS footage. Felt deceived Input this post. Left thread.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] Pacing is really, really important. AA obviously had more refined mechanics but it felt like an effort to pack every major Batman villain in a single game. jg4xchamp

Also as far as secrets go Asylum did those way better as the riddles were much better done and far more clever than the puzzles City throws at you.

The riddler puzzles in city were done FAR better than the ones in Asylum there's no contest here. Most of the trophies in Arkham Asylum were just finding them. City forced you to really use your head and apply your gadgets in a variety of creative ways that the main story never explore. There were far more secrets in City and they were handled with way more care and detail than Asylum ever did.

I'm very surprised you said that. The rest I can understand as opinion just fine, but that aspect is probably the one that got the biggest improvement of them all between the Batman Arkham games.

Personally the story mode doesn't matter that much to me. I like to get the content leading up to the credits out of the way asquick as possible so that I can just have fun exploring the world, collecting all the secrets, and mastering all the challenge rooms. Arkham City did all that stuff way better. The stuff that matters to me. It's also all the stuff I have complete control over pacing-wise. I choose EXACTLY what I want to do and when.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

Also as far as secrets go Asylum did those way better as the riddles were much better done and far more clever than the puzzles City throws at you.

The riddler puzzles in city were done FAR better than the ones in Asylum there's no contest here. Most of the trophies in Arkham Asylum were just finding them. City forced you to really use your head and apply your gadgets in a variety of creative ways that the main story never explore. There were far more secrets in City and they were handled with way more care and detail than Asylum ever did.

I'm very surprised you said that. The rest I can understand as opinion just fine, but that aspect is probably the one that got the biggest improvement of them all between the Batman Arkham games.

Personally the story mode doesn't matter that much to me. I like to get the content leading up to the credits out of the way asquick as possible so that I can just have fun exploring the world, collecting all the secrets, and mastering all the challenge rooms. Arkham City did all that stuff way better. The stuff that matters to me. It's also all the stuff I have complete control over pacing-wise. I choose EXACTLY what I want to do and when.

The puzzles were easy shit, that solve themselves so long as you have any experience with puzzle games.

The original asylum had actual riddles. Things that made you take into account the scenery or room you are playing in. The picture stuff, the trophie hunt puzzles don't exactly have the same charm as solving those riddles were. Sure some of them were too easy in asylum as well given that a giant purple question mark is hard to miss sometimes, but the more elaborate ones later in the game were far more satisfying to solve than any single puzzle I dealt with in City.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]lol

I can instantly tell that you lack experience with the game, I can't accept such criticism because it obviously comes from a position of ignorance. 

In Arkham City and Asylum, it is simply not possible to be as restrictive as that in your combat throughout the course of the game. There are enemies who require specific strategies in order to defeat them. There are many different moves which get unlocked, and the variety is there. 

psymon100
I've got plenty of experience with the games. It just seems like that's how they "feel" to play. It's nothing like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden. It's just so superficially simple.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

Literally Arkham City 2.0.

Can't wait.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GiantAssPanda

Literally Arkham City 2.0.

Can't wait.

Basinboy
The fact that the game is developed by Warner Bros. Games Montreal kind of makes me want to wait for reviews. They haven't yet done anything worthwhile. And tbh, I think the game looks nothing like Arkham City. Arkham City had a unique gritty look since it was basically a warzone for supervillains. And the different city blocks ruled by different criminals made the different parts of the city stand out. So far what I've seen from AO, Gotham looks pretty bland in comparison. And I still can't stand the new suit! Looks so stupid.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 psymon100

I've got plenty of experience with the games. It just seems like that's how they "feel" to play. It's nothing like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden. It's just so superficially simple.foxhound_fox

Yeah. Don't know what to say really. I'm not some zealot who is going to defend the game or anything. I haven't played those games you mention so I can't compare, and for all I know they could be very complicated. Of course I've heard of NG from back in the day and I know difficulty is central. 

Hail atheismo and good day sir.Â