China cracks down on micro transactions!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45328 Posts

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/china-to-ban-some-monetization-and-engagement-tactics-in-games

The National Press and Publication Administrations released new draft rules that will ban a swath of common mechanisms in games, including daily log-in rewards, bonuses for first-time spenders, and incentives to spend repeatedly on a game.

Publishers will also be prohibited from offering loot boxes to minors or allowing for in-game items to be auctioned or used as speculative assets. Games will need to impose spending limits on players, while publishers will be required to run all their servers for Chinese games in China.

[Update]:Loot box researcher Leon Y. Xiao has also noted that one of the new requirements is that games with loot boxes must allow users to purchase the specific item they want directly as well. Additionally, should a game shut down, unspent currency must be refunded to players in real money at the rate it was originally purchased at. [/Update]

In one possible concession to the games industry, regulators would also need to rule on game approvals within 60 days of submission.

A lengthy game approval process for new releases has been an issue in China for several years. For nine months of 2021 and 2022, there was a complete freeze on approvals, no doubt contributing to the Chinese games industry seeing decreasing consumer spending on games last year for the first time in two decades.

Reuters noted that Tencent shares dropped as much as 16% and NetEase shares were down up to 25% after the rules were released.

"It's not necessarily the regulation itself - it's the policy risk that's too high," Steven Leung, executive director of institutional sales at broker UOB Kay Hian in Hong Kong told Reuters. "People had thought this kind of risk should have been over and had started to look at fundamentals again. It hurts confidence a lot."

China has imposed restrictions on the games industry repeatedly in recent years, sharply limiting minors' playtime, banning livestreaming for those under 16, and imposing stricter rules around the depictions of religion and gender.

What say you, SW? Do you agree? While I dislike micro transactions, I believe in freedom to make your own decisions.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39436 Posts

Holy shit that sounds awesome. Daily log in rewards is such a plague. All this FoMo mechanics are ruining video games, and its in every multiplayer title. For once, China did something great.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

rip genshin

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen

@howmakewood said:

rip genshin

😆so true

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

@howmakewood said:

rip genshin

Japan got this one😉

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

That sounds like a good thing.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1408 Posts

An oppressive regime doing what should've been obvious to western democracies.

@SolidGame_basic said:

What say you, SW? Do you agree? While I dislike micro transactions, I believe in freedom to make your own decisions.

And i believe people are stupid and easy to manipulate. Especially young humans.

Publishers will also be prohibited from offering loot boxes to minors or allowing for in-game items to be auctioned or used as speculative assets.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@palasta said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

And i believe people are stupid and easy to manipulate. Especially young humans.

Publishers will also be prohibited from offering loot boxes to minors or allowing for in-game items to be auctioned or used as speculative assets.

and how are minors buying it if they don't have jobs?

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1408 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@palasta said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

and how are minors buying it if they don't have jobs?

You believe minors should get jobs? Those lzy bums...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

I mean it's a double edged sword, loot boxes go away but piecemeal purchasing is still allowed, and I can see that being abused.

Loot boxes as well though purchasable with real currencies converted to special in-game currencies, curious if broad stroke prohibitions would also undo loot boxes earned with just in-game earned currencies or mission rewards.

China and other countries are also trying to crack down on how much people play games. Curious if in future they'll go after games with padded content, grindy mechanics and player progression next.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59203 Posts

Based commy bastards.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46495 Posts

They should go after all the other reasons of mobile games existance as well.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Life would be better without those gambling micro transactions.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

The game industry [imo, obviously] needs an overhaul in their business practices and if it takes an oppressive government like China with a huge population of potential customers to lead the way or at least get the ball rolling, so be it.

It sounds somewhat "big brother", but sometimes people need to be saved from themselves.

Choice is good, but only if those choices are made in a legitimately "free-choice" environment; predatory marketing and microtransactions skew this concept in the retailer's favor. These corporations spend billions of dollars researching psychology, biochemistry, marketing, addiction patterns, and all kinds of crazy stuff so they can all but remove actual choice from people (while still providing the illusion of choice).

Are they forcing people to use microtransactions? No, but in some cases they might as well be. They learned all the wrong lessons from the tobacco companies. Go after children, use addiction and biochemistry, offer rewards, incentivize mass buying, and so on and so forth.

Regulation can be a good thing. Without it, we'd still have people painting their teeth with radium so they had glow in the dark smiles while giving themselves cancer, wondering why they have a giant tumor growing in their chins and their bones dissolved in their bodies.

At the end of the day, people won't know any better if they aren't educated, and corporations will exploit this until the people are dead or destitute. And it's far more effective to regulate than it is to educate, for better or worse. This is fact.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

I’m not sure we want to emulate the Chinese government. Then again, I wouldn’t recommend emulating the American government either

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@ghostofgolden said:

I’m not sure we want to emulate the Chinese government. Then again, I wouldn’t recommend emulating the American government either

nobody is asking to emulate everything they do, but what they've done to mtx is pretty much perfect

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Seriously? Me?

...and if yes, am I that bad? ☹

😋😉

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidGame_basic

Can't remember buying a micro transaction...

But I did spend money on a gacha machine a few weeks ago 😩

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Seriously? Me?

...and if yes, am I that bad? ☹

😋😉

lol, no... Aimed at China.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: fantastic. I'm all for free market but sadly there are too many people out there that have absolutely zero self control.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@mrbojangles25: damn, what an amazing post. Fully agreed on it..these corrupt politicians using the free market as a shield while performing disgusting acts. Sadly our very economy is built on consumer demand, and you have this concept of greed is good. Greed is good up to a point, but it just becomes toxic after a while, there needs to be moderation. If people were smarter or more educated, we could just let things be, but like you said, the corps have researched meticulously our biology to the cellular level and know how our brains tick.

Without these regulations, these disgusting bastards would even more shamelessly market to kids. They have toktok already ruining kids lives here, and it needs to be banned along with all short form social media. It's a scourge.

Something like this would never work here, at least on a national level. Individual states need to step up and go after these disgusting tech bro companies. **** them.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

This would be a massive blow to microtransactions, as China is by far the largest market for microtransactions.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jag85
@davillain said:
@howmakewood said:

rip genshin

Japan got this one😉

I just looked up the revenue breakdown of Genshin:

1. China - 30%
  2. Japan - 23%
  3. USA - 20%

Losing the domestic Chinese market would be a big blow to Genshin's Chinese dev, but they'll still be making a ton of money from Japanese and American players.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Microtransactions suck, but I'd think twice before praising the CCP in ANY capacity. Even with political BS in the Middle East right now.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 853 Posts

Daily login rewards are such a massive annoyance and cause disruptions to daily lifestyle because people feel pressured to login for those silly “rewards”. These daily rewards make games feel more like chores instead of entertainment. Weekly rewards are okay by me, but daily rewards can GTFO.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 682 Posts

I saw a video on YouTube that said companies like Mihoyo cannot sell videogames in China in the normal way. They cannot charge $70 (or the yen equivalent) for a game and can only receive money for micro-transactions so that has formed their business model. The Chinese Govt tried to ban gaming by not allowing them to sell games in the traditional model

Not too sure if that was/still is true. Maybe someone can confirm.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

Hmm mixed feelings on this.

One on the one hand I hate MTX and the business model of mobile gaming especially. It's vile....truly vile. game design by accountants to nickle and dime people. It's seeping in everywhere into the industry. I still haven't bought Diablo 4 because i'm just waiting for Blizzard to pull the cover over the "Surprise". It's awful.

So anything to burn that with hellfire does sound really great. If we can also set a torch to games as a service, at a concept level, then that would also be fab. And also introduce the concept of "Merchantable quality" to games too. Game releases too buggy? Congrats on your mandatory recall across all platforms. Just how do you define "too buggy"?

However, as much as it pains me to say it, maybe an outright ban is a bit too far. Too authoritarian (so the usual MO for the crap heap known as the CCP). Perhaps slapping mandatory 18s/AO ratings on every game with MTX and loot boxes would be a better middle ground.

For loot boxes specifically, maybe force any publisher of a game with loot boxes to disclose things like chances to win, average cost to get all the things and such like as well as provide a link to help deal with gambling addiction. And I don't mean have it at the bottom of the page in small text: The info would need to be plastered right next to the Buy and Install buttons.

Also legislate for mandatory refunds for anyone who claims "their kids went on a spending spree".

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Should have happened ages ago. Selling gambling to kids shouldnt be acceptable

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

Be more like China.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

@Above: Agreed 💯 percent when it comes to gaming.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jag85

@hardwenzen: Not surprising. Microtransactions is the bread and butter for most of these Chinese game companies. Their finances are going to tank if the CCP cracks down on microtransactions.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@Jag85 said:

@hardwenzen: Not surprising. Microtransactions is the bread and butter for most of these Chinese game companies. Their finances are going to tank if the CCP cracks down on microtransactions.

Of course they're, and the same applies to Korean games as well. Panic mode must be at their maximum.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Genshin Impact is still printing money regularly

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2147 Posts

It's a dump and pump as long as it's just a draft of the law, instead of an actual law.