Darksouls: Prepare to Pay- hackers day 1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59328 Posts

Hackers getting legit players soft-banned and other goodness.

Infamous Hacker Already Wreaking Havoc in Dark Souls Remastered

By Heather Alexandra on 24 May 2018 at 9:16PM

An unfortunate reality of the Dark Souls PVP experience is running into hackers. Sometimes this means fighting foes with infinite health; in other case it means invisible, backstabbing bastards. Hackers have plagued Dark Souls from the start of the series, and they’re already up to no good in Dark Souls Remastered.

Dark Souls Remastered released early on Steam last night, ahead of its full release on consoles this Friday. Eager players returned to the land of Lordran, excited to explore a familiar world or try out the series for the first time. A hacker going by the name “Malcolm Reynolds,” infamous throughout the Souls community, booted up the game to harass players using hacked magic spells to instantly kill them, drop nasty status effects, and break their equipment.

Reynolds has a dreaded reputation within the Souls community thanks to a history of dangerous hacks. During Dark Souls 3’s height, he streamed himself defeating players with cheats, going so far as to claim he could modify code to get players “softbanned.” A softban marks the player as a cheater who can only play with other cheaters. Last night, Reynolds streamed his first foray into Dark Souls Remastered. The result was a horrifying beatdown of unsuspecting players.

Adjusting the game’s code, Reynolds created a hellish fireball spell with numerous effects. The fireball did massive damage with a huge radius, which would already be bad enough for new players to deal with. However, it also had other effects. The spell afflicts Curse on the player, a debuff that lasts after death and reduces HP by half. It also adds the “Egghead” effect, a strange status that infects the player with a brain worm. Players with this status can’t wear helmets, and half of the souls they pick up are consumed by the egg. The only way to remove these statuses is to use special items that are difficult to obtain at the start of the game. For extra measure, Reynolds’ spell also broke his victim’s equipment. All he needed to do was invade games and toss his fireball in the vague direction of his target.

“These guys might as well make a new character,” Reynolds said at one point during the stream. “It’s going to be such a pain in the ass going past this point with broken shit, egghead. And I know it’s all working because I’m seeing it in front of my eyes.”

Dark Souls’ PC version had enough hackers that a popular mod was created called PVP Watch Dog that warned players if they were facing a known hacker. Following Reynolds’ stream, PVP Watch Dog creator eur0pa told the community that he had no plans to make a version for Dark Souls Remastered.

“It’s been 6 years since Dark Souls came out, there have been 4 games on different engines, all of them sharing the same flaws, plagued with the same amount of cheaters and script kiddies, and all of them pulling off the same destructive actions: it’s time FromSoft fixed their own games without relying on the efforts of the community,” he wrote.

Reynolds’ stream is an ominous sign for Dark Souls Remastered. The Dark Souls games’ anti-cheat measures are easy to abuse, allowing hackers to trick the game into banning legit players. In Dark Souls 3, it was as easy as dropping a hacked item for players to pick up. Mass bannings led Bandai Namco to tell my former colleague Patrick Klepek that some accounts might have been falsely flagged. Hackers might get banned, but they’ll likely do a lot of damage before they do.

“I’ll definitely get banned eventually,” Reynolds said on stream. “Just not right now.”

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#2 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Shit, I didn't even know you could hack it! I'd like to hack Dark Souls 3 so I can level up my character like crazy. That way, I can stop dying so much by mere grunts.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: you can just edit your save file, just ask @indzman for tips

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@howmakewood:

Indzman has been M.I.A for ages. I dunno if he even uses GS anymore.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

And why exactly would you buy it for the PC? Aside from a slight bump in resolution it has no advantage over the console versions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

All lies. PC bois around here guarantee cheaters are no longer an issue on the platform.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@phbz said:

All lies. PC bois around here guarantee cheaters are no longer an issue on the platform.

I guess this hacker didn't get the memo.

Avatar image for thirty8_special
Thirty8_Special

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Thirty8_Special
Member since 2018 • 36 Posts

Such a miserable human being.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Why some people find this fun is beyond me

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Gaming on PC.

Oh boy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

The ugliest remastered game I have seen in a while.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

This is par for the course for PC MP games... I don't know what did people expect.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@phbz said:

who has been saying that? hacking/cheating is alive and well on PC (I stopped playing PUBG for a while because the hackers became so prevalent)

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Gaming on PC.

Oh boy.

While there are some bad spots like this, it would be foolish to attribute it to all of PC gaming. Kind of me saying "Gaming on Consolse. Oh Boy" in the State of Decay 2 and PUBG threads for the massive XB1X failures.

The better experience for almost all video games, and substantially superior online most titles is on PC. Rare occurrences doesn't alter this.

@rafaelmsoares said:

This is par for the course for PC MP games... I don't know what did people expect.

It happens, but it's relatively rare.

It isn't common enough for PC to stop being the premiere location for MP gaming (hence having considerably more players and games than XBL or PSN), competitive gaming, and e-sports.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@zaryia: do you get money from marketing PC as a gaming platform?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I like how the article makes the "victims" seem like people of horrible monstrous crimes.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Gamerno6666 said:

@zaryia: do you get money from marketing PC as a gaming platform?

Yes GabeN pays me directly for stating facts.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Shit! I hope everyone's ok. :/

After suggesting yesterday that hackers don't make PC gaming a literal nightmare, I can't help but feel somehow responsible. Man, have I got egg on my face now. :(

I hope it's something patchable, like Switch's recently discovered security exploit, and that this doesn't affect sales or tear apart the community. Once again, I'm sorry, and my heart goes out to all the victims.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

Yeah, Dark Souls is annoying as far as hackers go; but ultimately, it's usually not a big deal. Most hackers you'll run into use infinite health and you can just die or crystal out of the game. This guy, though, he deserves a punch in the kidney for being a complete ass hat.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

Man, I forgot people did this. I remember hearing about this in Dark souls 3. In short, don't pick up anything someone else drops. If the item was created through a hacked account then they will penalize anybody who picks it up.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

I have over 300 hours of playing the Dark Souls trilogy on Steam and I never ran into a cheater.

I'm not saying that cheaters aren't a problem in somes games, but some people tend to overblow this issue and spread the false notion that you can't have fun playing online games on PC.