Doug Bowser talks about future of Switch, the possibility of GamePass, Switch's 8+ game attach rate, and more!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45397 Posts

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/22170222/nintendo-doug-bowser-interview-switch-pro-joycon-drift-animal-crossing

Doug Bowser is Nintendo of America's President, in case you didn't know 😉

Summary for those of you who don't want to click on the link 😄:

• COVID had some impact on the business, but doesn't specify anything.
  • Animal Crossing Horizon sold well beyond expectations.
  • Top reason why people buy Switch online is for multiplayer, games are second.
  • Switch has an attach rate of over 8 individual games per system.
  • Leaves up possibility of Game Pass coming to Switch
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars and other anniversary games are limited because they are 'celebrations' lol.
  • Dodges question about if Switch games are being held back for the Switch Pro, says momentum is still very strong for the regular Switch.
  • Says upcoming games will come when they're ready (lol).

So that's about it. Basically, Switch is doing great, still has lots of momentum, and we're still only at the mid-life mark. I guess I can't blame Nintendo. They are wrecking it! Hopefully 2021 will be awesome.

Thoughts, SW? Does this leave you excited for what's coming up for the Switch?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15984 Posts

Attach rate is quite low for a best selling console. Makes sense since casuals only buys it for Mario and Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

All their games are held back for another 2 or so years when Switch Plus comes out. Your 2021 will be exciting.🤷‍♂️

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Switch pro would be the worst anytime soon. Sure, it make sense for Youtube rich guys who can afford 3080 TI's and Intel core i9's, but the average gamer is going to have to bow out as they can't afford to constantly buy new hardware all the time and the switch pro would only be relevant for a few years at any rate.

Best to keep absolutely quite about any new switch hardware and then start advertising the second gen switch in 2023, with a release date of Christmas 2023 or spring of 2024 at the earliest. Something like the 3DS Version of the switch, which a 1440p screen, five hour battery life, and a 4K docked mode. That, or a supersampleing capable 1080p handheld mode and a 1440p harddocked mode, with a 4K home console only version.

That being said I currently have 10 physical games and about 25 digital games, although I've been rebuying my digital games as physical games when I can, so...um...yeah.... I'm above the average attachment rate...I guess... Yey???

I buy almost exclusively for single player tho... Guess I'm in the minority there, that or the stats are off...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46547 Posts

Not a fan of Bowser, I like Bowser Jr. more.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@sakaixx said:

Attach rate is quite low for a best selling console. Makes sense since casuals only buys it for Mario and Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

Really? What is it supposed to be. I thought over 8 was considered good. Now us hardcore gamers, on the other hand..

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
@hardwenzen said:

All their games are held back for another 2 or so years when Switch Plus comes out. Your 2021 will be exciting.🤷‍♂️

lol, please don't call it the Switch Plus.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic
@blazepanzer24 said:

Switch pro would be the worst anytime soon. Sure, it make sense for Youtube rich guys who can afford 3080 TI's and Intel core i9's, but the average gamer is going to have to bow out as they can't afford to constantly buy new hardware all the time and the switch pro would only be relevant for a few years at any rate.

Best to keep absolutely quite about any new switch hardware and then start advertising the second gen switch in 2023, with a release date of Christmas 2023 or spring of 2024 at the earliest. Something like the 3DS Version of the switch, which a 1440p screen, five hour battery life, and a 4K docked mode. That, or a supersampleing capable 1080p handheld mode and a 1440p harddocked mode, with a 4K home console only version.

That being said I currently have 10 physical games and about 25 digital games, although I've been rebuying my digital games as physical games when I can, so...um...yeah.... I'm above the average attachment rate...I guess... Yey???

I buy almost exclusively for single player tho... Guess I'm in the minority there, that or the stats are off...

Damn, that's a long time man. It's a plus and a negative at the same time. I like that they support their systems, but by the time they're done, the industry is like light years ahead. I want a bigger screen, better battery life, refined controls. Pretty much a Switch Pro lol. And yea, us hardcore gamers buy a lot more games than that.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15984 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sakaixx said:

Really? What is it supposed to be. I thought over 8 was considered good. Now us hardcore gamers, on the other hand..

It usually around 11-12 per console.

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

@blazepanzer24:

I agree with that. Nintendo should stay away from any "mid-gen" console release. They'd gain a lot of respect IMO. March 2022 would be a good time to release a Switch 2 that is backwards compatible. I don't like these mid-gen updates.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70222 Posts

I loan out my Switch. The system just doesn't offer much for me.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16590 Posts

The thing is, the graphics on switch don't look so bad even now in the new gen. I don't see a new system will do anything for them either, especially since the switch just came out only 3 years ago. It would make more sense for them to wait until 2022 or even 2023 to release their next console.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

Sounds like a lot of your typical question avoiding you get out of these PR interviews.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6853 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Not a fan of Bowser, I like Bowser Jr. more.

Lol!

But seriously, what are the chances the one of their chief execs has Bowser for a last name? That's insane.

It'd be like Sony having Tom Drake or Xbox having Jeff Chief as an exec.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46547 Posts

@shellcase86: Exactly, I really liked Regi but when they announced the next guy in charge would be Bowser: that's just insta-win!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44453 Posts

I just absolutely love how wonderfully appropriate it is to have someone named Bowser as Nintendo of America’s President. 😅

Anyway sounds like your typical non-commital answers. Pretty good attach rate for the Switch there.

Of course most people pay the online fee to play their games online with others. I imagine that that’s the same for the other consoles as well.

I’m convinced that Nintendo are bringing out a mid-gen upgrade for the Switch given how they consider the Switch to be in the middle of its lifecycle. I’m definitely up for getting a more powerful Switch. Could probably see it in 2021 even.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70222 Posts

@Archangel3371: Nintendo pioneered mid-gen especially when you review their handhelds.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44453 Posts

@Pedro: Yeah that’s certainly true there. Ever since the very first Gameboy I do believe.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Best handheld Ive ever owned, and 3rd party support has been incredible this time around for Nintendo. Nintendo really needs to pick up the pace and start delivering some of their own games to their system.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

I'm still not convinced we'll see a Switch "Pro"... it just doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. I think it's more likely we'll see a revised Switch, similar to the New 3DS, which may see a little bump in power but nothing dramatic.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

@shellcase86: Exactly, I really liked Regi but when they announced the next guy in charge would be Bowser: that's just insta-win!

Lol, Reggie will always be NOA President in my head.

@enzyme36 said:

Best handheld Ive ever owned, and 3rd party support has been incredible this time around for Nintendo. Nintendo really needs to pick up the pace and start delivering some of their own games to their system.

I still don't consider the Switch a handheld. Maybe Lite I guess. But it doesn't really matter, as long as you're enjoying it. I agree, I hope 2021 will be great!

philamona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 philamona
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I had to wonder with the success of the hybrid Switch and the popularity of mobile games whether Nintendo (or any other company) will release another pure handheld system. Perhaps the days of pure handheld systems are now over.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17865 Posts

It's been a very quiet year for nintendo in terms of releases.

There was animal crossing (a monster in fairness), Hyrule warriors (3rd party colab) and some very lazy ports of old mario games. I still have plenty to play on my switch but...yeah......quiet one. no real big christmas title.

Maybe they just decided to let Xbox and PS have this one....its very hard to shout over new console launches. just let animal crossing and ring fit adventure continue to rake in the cash and sell loads of switches :P.

it means nintendos own studios have been quiet though.....too quiet. hmmm.

as for a switch pro.....as i have said in other threads i dont think a switch pro makes much sense. whatever extra they could squeeze into the switches form factor with an enhanced SOC (while maintaining BC) just wouldnt be worth it. may as well wait and just go for a switch 2/super switch or whatever madness they have planned next. it would be as pointless as the X1X or PS4 pro....probably even more pointless.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Can we skip the Switch pro please and just a new gen model in 3-4 years???

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic

@philamona said:

@SolidGame_basic: I had to wonder with the success of the hybrid Switch and the popularity of mobile games whether Nintendo (or any other company) will release another pure handheld system. Perhaps the days of pure handheld systems are now over.

I was actually just thinking about that too. Like, is my 3DS the last true Nintendo handheld?

@osan0 said:

It's been a very quiet year for nintendo in terms of releases.

There was animal crossing (a monster in fairness), Hyrule warriors (3rd party colab) and some very lazy ports of old mario games. I still have plenty to play on my switch but...yeah......quiet one. no real big christmas title.

Maybe they just decided to let Xbox and PS have this one....its very hard to shout over new console launches. just let animal crossing and ring fit adventure continue to rake in the cash and sell loads of switches :P.

it means nintendos own studios have been quiet though.....too quiet. hmmm.

as for a switch pro.....as i have said in other threads i dont think a switch pro makes much sense. whatever extra they could squeeze into the switches form factor with an enhanced SOC (while maintaining BC) just wouldnt be worth it. may as well wait and just go for a switch 2/super switch or whatever madness they have planned next. it would be as pointless as the X1X or PS4 pro....probably even more pointless.

Next year will be year 4, right? So you would think that's when the system would be in its prime. Metroid Prime, get it? 🤭

@drummerdave9099 said:

Can we skip the Switch pro please and just a new gen model in 3-4 years???

That would take forever, man. I guess it depends on what the sales say.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9591 Posts

I hope there is a Switch pro, or whatever you want to call it. I keep mine docked at all times, so some extra power would be cool.