Fallout 4 free update is a nice change of pace....

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22706 Posts

Greetings.... For those of you unaware, Bethesda is releasing a pretty nice update to fallout 4 that will modernize the game performance, contain fixes and add content... For free.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4s2bXQEbpcrsdCZhUYLHAi/fallout-4-is-getting-free-updates

I want to being this up because we live in a remake world where lesser companies would've tried cashing in on the TV shows success with a cash grab at a remaster/remake. To update the game to modern platforms and giving away content for nothing is something that we as gamers should take off our system wars hats and praise because it is a pro gamer move.... Bethesda likely knew there would be increased interest in the franchise with the Amazon show being in the chute. They didn't reach for your wallet the way lesser companies would... They are giving it to us for free.

As an independent minded gamer who roots for positive trends in our hobby I applaud this move. Especially in the face of lesser developers tactics to cash in whenever possible.

Now, in a world where I truly do not believe we need to remake video games, there are a few that would benefit.... The original Fallout being one of them. Those games are dated as eff and if they were remade in today's pallet of gameplay it would be a worthy project.... Gameplay has advanced faaaar beyond those games so again... Worthy project.

What do you think system wars...? Does Bethesda giving away free content and modern upgrades make smile? Do you think they should've charged for this content the way lesser companies do? Lastly.... Are you jumping back in for newly improved fallout 4?

What is a lesser company? 😜

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38931 Posts

at this point this 2015 game is get getting more new content than Starfield😄

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

Thank you, Uncle Phil. ;o

Oh and also, GOAT Starfield...

lol :P

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Might need to pick up fallout 4 played it years ago on PS4 but didn't get far new Vegas is still my favourite.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

PSA...

Amazeballz. lol :P

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/four-fallout-games-enter-europes-top-10-charts-following-the-shows-release/1100-6522784/

Four Fallout Games Enter Europe's Top 10 Charts Following The Show's Release

Have you bought a Fallout game because of the show?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46348 Posts

Fallout 4 gamers watching all their mods get destroyed:

Loading Video...

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1260 Posts

Say thank you to phil cows.....Sony would have charged you.and that saved you having to look like a f€%king sap by defending the cost 👍

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

Maybe if they charged for putting out fixes and patches, gamers would have been pissed. Things like wide-screen support and quest fixes are still coming very late. It is almost 10 years later and there are still broken quests.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44221 Posts

I certainly like free. Am looking forward to jumping back into the game to check out the updates and new content.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I would rather see Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas getting remasters.

I have both games, hardly played them. I tried booting up FNV vanilla but that shit was unplayable.

Is it easy to mod them to support at least 120 fps, relatively modern UI and decent graphics?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

I downloaded Fallout 4 again on my PC and started up Fallout 76 on PS5. I forgot just how entertaining these games are... altho Fallout 4 crashed during the opening section which made me lol.

Not expecting a huge upgrade though. I mean it is Bethesda... hopefully it's a stable release. lol (not likely)

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

Let's not get too wrapped up in the Fallout hype and forget that 4 kinda sucked. Then they followed up with Fallout 76; one of many high profile failures in gaming we've become accustomed to. Lies about preorder items, shoddy half-assed physical bag/booze bottle. And worst of all, a completely broken, lie of a game. How quickly you seem to forget.

Now I don't even know what's in that update, but I highly doubt it's enough to make me forget all the crap they've pulled over the last decade. They should just make great games that are worth the money.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371

I really enjoyed Fallout 4 when it first came out. Bought all the dlc as well. That was on the Xbox One too so it wasn’t like had the options for mods like the PC version had.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator

@dimebag667 said:

Let's not get too wrapped up in the Fallout hype and forget that 4 kinda sucked. Then they followed up with Fallout 76; one of many high profile failures in gaming we've become accustomed to. Lies about preorder items, shoddy half-assed physical bag/booze bottle. And worst of all, a completely broken, lie of a game. How quickly you seem to forget.

Now I don't even know what's in that update, but I highly doubt it's enough to make me forget all the crap they've pulled over the last decade. They should just make great games that are worth the money.

Man, you sure know how to hold a grudge! I thoroughly enjoyed fallout 4 despite it not being a monumental step forward. Fallout 76 was a disaster launch and likely remained that way a while, but those who waited are not playing that game anymore and have no experience with it... 76 seems super inviting to me.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: I think it is still the same models/textures/engine/everything so it is not really an upgrade, just resuming support of the original game. Otherwise they would probably charge for it like Skyrim Anniversary.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

@TheEroica: Haha, you're not wrong 😂. If I get burned, I don't forget. But don't we need that? If bad actors are allowed to continue their grift without consequences, nothing will get better.

I'm also pissed at myself for stopping my workout regimen for that game. I was so excited because of my love for 3 that I said I was gonna give all my attention to 4. Fully saturate myself in that world and have a wonderful experience. That did not pan out. I was severely disappointed with the game, and haven't really worked out since. Now there's no reason why I couldn't start up again, but I just haven't. And I blame Bethesda 😂.

As far as 76 goes, I'm sure it's gotten better, but they burned their chance with me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

Far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is anyone else a little upset it's taken them 10+ years to release a fix for a game just because of a damn show?

In an ideal world, the fixes would have either been out, or been coming out, until the game was stable. I understand development has to stop at some point but support needs to continue.

In either case, happy to see this game getting support after release. Hopefully it doesn't break the mod community.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I downloaded Fallout 4 again on my PC and started up Fallout 76 on PS5. I forgot just how entertaining these games are... altho Fallout 4 crashed during the opening section which made me lol.

Not expecting a huge upgrade though. I mean it is Bethesda... hopefully it's a stable release. lol (not likely)

Yeah Fallout 4 crashed on me as well last week after reinstalling it. This AFTER I decided to play it vanilla with no mods (I've had issues with mods before but that's a "grain of salt" type situation; I expect a vanilla game to work, though).

I think I will wait for the update haha.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

It's a nice move. They should had ready along with the show. I will check it out.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

Yep gonna destroy the institute this time and blow shit up!

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6091 Posts

Nah, been there done that.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

I wonder if Microsoft will make another studio develop fallout 5. I mean the main Bethesta studio will be developing the new elder scrolls for at least 5 years. If they want a new fallout relatively soon, they need to make someone else develop it.

Give it to obsidian. They are also under Microsoft and have did a great job with new Vegas.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@nirgal said:

I wonder if Microsoft will make another studio develop fallout 5. I mean the main Bethesta studio will be developing the new elder scrolls for at least 5 years. If they want a new fallout relatively soon, they need to make someone else develop it.

Give it to obsidian. They are also under Microsoft and have did a great job with new Vegas.

Definitely... When obsidian finishes outer worlds 2 id love to see a follow up tk new Vegas.... Doesn't have tk be a direct follow up either. Would just love for them to get another crack at the franchise.

10 years before the next fallout game seems helllllla long.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

I wonder how this compares to the FO4 unofficial patch.

The story and characters in FO4 are some of the worst ever concieved in a video game, but the world is fun to explore and the settlements are fun to build.

I'd recommend the War of The Commonwealth mod.

Oh and the Silent Protaganist mod. Game is basically unplayable without that.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10453 Posts

fallout 4 felt like a 360/ps3 gen game, more of an expansion to f3 with a base building component tacked on. not anything comparable to a morrowind to oblivion, or an oblivion to skyrim-type evolutionary leap.

was cool that bethesda announced it mid 2015 and then released it a few months later as opposed to the cringeworthy elder scrolls 5 announcement all the way back in e3 2018 given that it's 2024 and it's likely still years away, but regardless, the game was average at best, and i liked f3.

they're giving it away for free because they couldn't charge for it. it's just an update for a 8 year old game that's on gamepass, not a full remake like tlou.

@nirgal said:

yeah this is the interesting question. will ms give it to obsidian to make something new to support the tv show, is it already underway, have they missed the opportunity, or would it even be financially viable given that it'll need to go on gamepass?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Macutchi: the sentiment here is that we didn't need a last of us remake after a last of us remastered..... To do a low key upgrade that adds content and modern performance and charge nothing for it is EXACTLY what I want in the face of a company like naughty dog coming at me with more paid versions of their game that were both unnecessary and also left developers from developing new content at naughty dog.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10453 Posts

@TheEroica: well yeah, that goes without saying. my point was its fallout 4, it's 8-9 years old, it felt like a lazy main series instalment back in 2015, and it's timed to coincide with the prime show, without that i doubt we'd get it, so hearing there's a free upgrade doesn't do much for me now

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26103 Posts

They should put out an update to New Vegas so that modern gamers can play that game without the hassle of installing mods, but that would mean exposing players to best Fallout game ever made, one that Bethesda didn’t make that makes their games look bad.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#28 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3640 Posts

I could never get into Fallout 4(PS4) back when it released. Hopefully with the update and PS5 version, I can play the game again. I tried playing a bit of the game but something felt off

about the gameplay.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

So much talk about Fallout as of late i am tired of hearing it, and its in my top 3 fav franchises... Talk about a brand new quality Fallout game with quality writing that doesn't exist, not a god damn show or the shitty fallout 4 wtf.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1475 Posts

Now all it takes is a tv show to make people like your game franchise again.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:

So much talk about Fallout as of late i am tired of hearing it, and its in my top 3 fav franchises... Talk about a brand new quality Fallout game with quality writing that doesn't exist, not a god damn show or the shitty fallout 4 wtf.

It's a blip in time Hardy... Rude the wave.... We're all still waiting ten years for the next game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator
@Willy105 said:

They should put out an update to New Vegas so that modern gamers can play that game without the hassle of installing mods, but that would mean exposing players to best Fallout game ever made, one that Bethesda didn’t make that makes their games look bad.

Microsoft owns both Bethesda and Obsidian.... I agree with everything you said. In fact, my only experience with new Vegas was a playthrough at launch when it played like doodoo.... Quests were broken too.... If I'm Microsoft I'm not allowing the franchise to stay dormant for ten more years.... Let obsidian make one!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen  Online

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

It's a blip in time Hardy... Rude the wave.... We're all still waiting ten years for the next game.

Not only are we waiting 10 years for the next game, but MS will make a massive mistake by allowing Todd and his clueless team develop the game instead of letting Obsidian doing the job.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Not only are we waiting 10 years for the next game, but MS will make a massive mistake by allowing Todd and his clueless team develop the game instead of letting Obsidian doing the job.

Would be wise of Microsoft to give obsidian another crack at it.... Obsidian at the time of new Vegas had developers from Black Isle Studios... Is that still the case?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen  Online

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Would be wise of Microsoft to give obsidian another crack at it.... Obsidian at the time of new Vegas had developers from Black Isle Studios... Is that still the case?

They lost everyone as far as i am aware, but i would still like to see them develop a new fallout game to see the difference in writing compared to NV. I guess we'll see what they're capable off of with Avowed.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

They lost everyone as far as i am aware, but i would still like to see them develop a new fallout game to see the difference in writing compared to NV. I guess we'll see what they're capable off of with Avowed.

Did you like Outer Worlds?

Also...

Where's my steam version of Alpha Protocol? Why is that not a thing?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:

Also...

I would kill for an Alpha Protocol remake. Hell, just give me a remaster, even.

(James Bond + Jason Bourne) x (Mass Effect-style action-rpg gameplay) = FUN!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:

Also...

Absolutely not. The only thing i liked about it is how the game was structured with a bunch of mini planets. Gunplay and enemies variety was so insanely poor that it wasn't possible to enjoy the game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:

Also...

Absolutely not. The only thing i liked about it is how the game was structured with a bunch of mini planets. Gunplay and enemies variety was so insanely poor that it wasn't possible to enjoy the game.

I also felt like it was sub par overall.... I went into it thinking this was the dev that made new Vegas and came going... Mmm OK.

I do think that their second crack at the franchise will be much better though. Just my gut.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2140 Posts

I've put over 200 hours into this game. I think im going to go all in on the creation side. Make settlements, ammo factory, make a crap load of robots. Then decide to get all the gangs and RAID!!!!

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

When I first tried Fallout 4 I left the vault and was unable to proceed because I couldn't speak to Mr Handy lol. Luckily I restarted from the beginning and was able to play to the end- got all the main endings too.

Game was just ok. I liked my time with Fallout 3 and New Vegas more. Still feel there can be a better Fallout game. I also don't care at all about the base building

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen  Online

As a cow, i have more time invested into this shallow game than any lemmings on SW, and i am being called a Bethesda hater by massive trolls like @dabear😏Sickening.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:

As a cow, i have more time invested into this shallow game than any lemmings on SW, and i am being called a Bethesda hater by massive trolls like @dabear😏Sickening.

You played what you deemed as a "shallow game" for almost 400 hours...? 😂 Wut?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Archangel3371

Tomorrow is when the update hits right? I’m pretty hyped for it.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8858 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

What? I never even replied to this thread...

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Saint-George

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-reaches-5-million-players-in-one-day/1100-6522892/

If its fallout stats your boasting about....then suck on these

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Saint-George

^^^^^^^^^^^

Xbox studio's killing it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

I brought fallout 4 for £3.99 on PSN ready for tomorrow next gen drop looking forward to it after the tv series.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7285 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @TheEroica: Alpha Protocol got re-released on GOG recently. Don't think there will be a Steam version soon though, GOG had to put in a lot of the legwork to bring the game back.