From Software is bringing back Armored Core!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45330 Posts

https://www.destructoid.com/armored-core-is-back-on-the-menu-fan-survey-leaked-screenshots-details/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=armored-core-is-back-on-the-menu-fan-survey-leaked-screenshots-details

High-level details and images for a new Armored Core game have reportedly leaked from a survey

According to details obtained from a leaked consumer survey, From Software is reportedly looking to bring back its MIA mecha series Armored Core after a long drought.

For years, fans have wondered about the state of the Armored Core series, which has felt like it could re-materialize at any point and stand a good chance of reaching a wider, potentially newer, audience. 2013’s Armored Core: Verdict Day was the last major release, and ever since, fans have kept themselves going with the occasional non-committal developer quote. It hasn’t seemed like a new Armored Core was completely “off the table” — at least not in the way that some fandoms struggle to keep hope alive — but a grand mecha game comeback at From Software really hasn’t looked like a priority, either.

That said, there are finally signs of movement. As outlined in a ResetEra post, the Souls, Sekiro, and Elden Ring studio has reportedly shown footage of an upcoming Armored Coregame as part of a consumer survey that also included plot details and screenshots, the latter of which recently leaked online, albeit with some pretty gnarly watermarks.

Beyond these images, which have since spread online, the ResetEra leaker also had a bit to say about the game’s name. “The survey listed a choice of titles for the game, so I guess that hasn’t been decided on yet,” according to Red Liquorice. “Most of them were Armoured Core: [Something] including just ‘Armoured Core’ and both AC: 6, AC: VI, and other subtitles I can’t remember, some of the choices didn’t include AC in the name at all.”

Reportedly set on the “devastated” planet Bashtar, this unannounced Armored Core game is described by the survey as having a “massive and three-dimensional map,” gear like guns and also a blade and shield for an added sense of “urgency,” body-part customization to vibe with different playstyles, and a “sci-fi world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki.”

Oh, and the battles are pitched as “tense and challenging.” I’d expect nothing less.

Given the team’s immensely popular action-RPGs, From Software commands more attention and respect these days from a worldwide audience, to the point where I feel like a significant number of folks who have never been attached to Armored Core would be willing to give a new game the time of day. I say that as someone who’s very much in that camp. Similar to how Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls gave new life to ideas previously seen in King’s Field, I’d love to see what a more modern take on Armored Core might look like.

I hope this game strikes fans as a fresh new step for the series, rather than just another long-overdue continuation. There’s arguably an opening in the market either way.

On the topic of mecha games, in a 2019 interview, From Software producer Masanori Takeuchi told Destructoid that “if we were to make something modern, something new, we’d need to consider how to appeal to Europeans or Americans.” Food for thought.

Now that would be badass. From Software doing something not a Dark Souls game is great. Looking forward to see this iteration! Thoughts, SW? You excited for this?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39441 Posts

Never played any of the AC games, but because its Fromsoft, i have to give it a shot. From the leaked pictures, it looks like a new engine.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Oh snap! That brings me back for sure! Let's see what they can do.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Never heard of it... but From has not led us astray yet

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19644 Posts

I know about this series, but haven't played it before. How does it compare with Zone of the Enders?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56285 Posts

I think Miyazaki mentioned they were developing Armored Core around in 2016...I think? It will probably be a reboot, and remember, everyone assumed Sekiro was going to be Tenchu so yeah. Hopefully From Software apply a massive budget due to there monetary success with the Dark Souls games.

@Jag85 said:

I know about this series, but haven't played it before. How does it compare with Zone of the Enders?

Zone of the Enders? It's more in line with Gundam: Battle Operation 2 in some regard. It's been years since I played Zone of the Enders HD Collection on PS3 so cannot say on it comparing to Armored Core.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I am. I've always been a fan of Armored Core.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15961 Posts

Everyday we stray further away from Bloodborne greatness.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

Meh. Was never a big fan of armored core.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

I have heard off the franchise but never played the games. I am interested in seeing what it’s all about though. Will keep an eye on this to see how it turns out.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts

Man, i miss so much the old front mission games, but i'm always in for some mecha action.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

and here I was wanting a Bloodborne remaster followed by Bloodborne 2 and Sekiro 2 in 2024-2026...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34702 Posts

Meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

So FS's idea of doing something new is doing something even older? I'll check it out anyway.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34702 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

So FS's idea of doing something new is doing something even older? I'll check it out anyway.

After Sekiro, I also thought FS were gonna be less boring in the future. Elden Ring is basically Dark Souls 4. And now they go back to AC? Who the hell wants that?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Anybody ever play the last Armored Core game that Fromsoftware made? Just curious how it was. Just looked it up, the name was For Answer.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts
@davillain said:

I think Miyazaki mentioned they were developing Armored Core around in 2016...I think? It will probably be a reboot, and remember, everyone assumed Sekiro was going to be Tenchu so yeah. Hopefully From Software apply a massive budget due to there monetary success with the Dark Souls games.

@Jag85 said:

Zone of the Enders? It's more in line with Gundam: Battle Operation 2 in some regard. It's been years since I played Zone of the Enders HD Collection on PS3 so cannot say on it comparing to Armored Core.

Yeah, I think it's understandable that From/Miyazaki would like to reboot their company's own franchise. I mean Dark Souls and Elden Ring are owned by Bandai Namco, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne by Sony, and Sekiro by Activision-Blizzard. I liked Armored Core games, so I actually hope the rumors are true.

Regarding the comparison, I'd add that the AC series generally focuses more on its mech customization (with wide-varieties of parts and weapons), multiplayer (pvp, team battles, cooperative missions), and mission varieties (main missions plus a large number of sub-missions), compared to ZOE, which is skill-based, a single player, and focuses heavily on the story. I heard that Another Century's Episode games (Japan-exclusive), also developed by FromSoftware, are more similar to ZOE in terms of gameplay.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44194 Posts

:P

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19644 Posts

@st_monica said:
@davillain said:

@Jag85 said:

Yeah, I think it's understandable that From/Miyazaki would like to reboot their company's own franchise. I mean Dark Souls and Elden Ring are owned by Bandai Namco, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne by Sony, and Sekiro by Activision-Blizzard. I liked Armored Core games, so I actually hope the rumors are true.

Regarding the comparison, I'd add that the AC series generally focuses more on its mech customization (with wide-varieties of parts and weapons), multiplayer (pvp, team battles, cooperative missions), and mission varieties (main missions plus a large number of sub-missions), compared to ZOE, which is skill-based, a single player, and focuses heavily on the story. I heard that Another Century's Episode games (Japan-exclusive), also developed by FromSoftware, are more similar to ZOE in terms of gameplay.

Armored Core sounds like... the Dark Souls of mecha games.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

@Jag85:

Yeah, Hidetaka Miyazki himself directed AC4 and AC: For Answer before making Demon's Souls, and so he certainly applied what he learned from them to the Soulsborne games in many ways.

There is an interesting post on Reddit titled "Dark Souls vs. Armored Core: Which is more difficult?," which compares and contrasts the two. I find the customization part is worth quoting to show that these are somewhat similar in ideas but very different in executions:

4. Customization.

This is where Armored Core really shines over Dark Souls.

In armored core, every part affects every stat. Everything you equip slows you down and makes your energy (your lifeblood, low energy = sitting duck) recover slower. There are still major weight limits for speed (like fat rolling vs quick rolling), but breaking them makes you excessively slow. This means that EVERYTHING is on a marginal curve and nothing is ever universally better. Even the starting equipment is still viable later on in most of the games because of how many niches you might need filled when trying to balance your build out.

Your frame/armor parts affect way more than just your defenses and movement speed, but they affect your radar/targeting ability, energy supplies, ability to wield certain weapons, accuracy and damage output, turning ability, and more. One part change can throw an entire build off in terms of defense balance.

There are also a lot of hidden stats that have to be figured out through experience.

Point is, there are twice as many slots for customization, with each slot contributing about twice as many stats to the total build, and many more options to choose from within each slot, plus... tuning.

In all games starting with Armored Core: Nexus there's a form of tuning involved. This allows you to tweak individual stats, sometimes at some cost of other stats. You might be familiar with For Answer's daunting tuning, which featured hidden aerodynamics and weight distribution stats to make impacts on how you moved in the air, with literally hundreds of little parts to tune with, plus about 442 points of tuning ability to target specific, high-impact stats.

The tuning was reduced in Verdict Day, restricted solely to weapons now, but parts became more similar in terms of capabilities, so the small differences in main parts had a bigger impact on the total build. Verdict Day builds are much more sensitive and synergistic than previous games, one or two wrong parts make a huge impact on its multiplayer viability and can defeated easily if it's not properly balanced, far more so than any previous AC game.

In short, I wanted to point out that AC fans always cite the depth of customization as a major difference from Soulsborne.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

Disregard Armored Core. Acquire Chromehounds.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

Super hype for a new Armored Core. Those games were a blast. Way more hype for this than another dark souls game. **** Dark souls, I'll take armored core over elder ring any day.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

@Jag85: AC4 had similar fast zippy movement to ZOE. But AC combat has always been more based on shooting than hack n slash like ZOE.

I'd say AC is like the movement of ZOE mixed with the combat of a MechWarrior or Chromehounds

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3096 Posts

This is definitely one of my favorite IPs that has never quite nailed it. There is so much potential there, but they really have to kill it on some of it's key pillars.

The customization has to be deep and meaningful. I'm no sim racer, but think about something like gt7, where instead of tuning your Miata, you're adjusting power output from your new reactor core that makes the new heatseeking shoulder rockets fire faster! Awesome armor with different degrees of protection, based on weight and aerodynamics. It probably needs to land somewhere in-between accessible and hardcore. Or maybe plug and play parts, but with an advanced toggle for those that want to get inside and tinker.

The scale is another big issue. Of the entries that I've played, the scale always seems off. It's either you're a giant in some kids sandbox, or you're a little kid running around the biggest buildings in existence. I feel like Shogo, Krazy Ivan and Hawken had good scale, but I would need to take another look.

The story and missions definitely have to kick ass too! This pairs with scale in a lot of ways. The waring paramilitary factions, where you choose who to work for, or betray. Getting unique mech customizations for sticking with a specific faction. I don't know, there's more cool stuff to do there than what I can think of right now.

Multiplayer, the Arena, something new?! There are tons of cool possibilities with this game.

A big concern that I do have is that the last one I played was AC4, which I didn't enjoy. And to my knowledge, Miyazaki directed it. I didn't play any after that, so maybe they got better, but it does give me pause. I think what he did with Demons Souls was amazing, but I don't know if they translate one to one. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

@Litchie Who wants this? Me! If it's just not your thing, I get that, but this is something I would much rather see than another Souls game (despite loving Demons). Taking a base level mech, playing through missions to upgrade and customize, fighting different factions for control over territories and resources, becoming a prize fighter in the arena, skill based combat multiplayer...if that's not a game worth making, I don't know what is.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Oh snap! That brings me back for sure! Let's see what they can do.

Indeed 😎 we used to have multiple TVs hooked up via link cable for PVP.. good times lol

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667

@Antwan3K: I always wanted to try that! If I remember correctly, you could hook up 4 PS2s for the battle, and have a fifth that run a spectator mode of the action. That sounds so cool!

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts

@dimebag667 said:

@Antwan3K: I always wanted to try that! If I remember correctly, you could hook up 4 PS2s for the battle, and have a fifth that run a spectator mode of the action. That sounds so cool!

yep, it was way better than splitscreen.. we would even all turn the volume down because, if i recall correctly, there would be an audible noise once you lock-on to someone and we didn't want anyone to get early warning of a sneak attack lol..

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dimebag667

@Antwan3K: Haha, I love it! This is exactly what's missing from gaming.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

So, a mech-souls possibly, I'm intrigued just to see how it pans out at very least.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I’ve wanted a new Armored Core for so long but if it’s going to borrow too much from the Souls games, I don’t want it. 😔

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Not a fan of Mecha style games, but I will still give it a go.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Just call it Armored Souls, since we all know that's what it'll be.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@techhog89 said:

Other than BOTW2, i have never seen you being hyped for anything coming out. Do we even play video games, Mr Sheep? What's your plan for 2022?

TcNemesiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TcNemesiz
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

Armored Core were okay at best. But they did have amazing cgi cutscenes at every start of the game. I enjoyed the first few but I would never recommend anyone to play them unless they really wanted to play a mech game.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

and here I was wanting a Bloodborne remaster followed by Bloodborne 2 and Sekiro 2 in 2024-2026...

I doubt they will make another Bloodborne until they have a proper plotline and i don't think that will be easy.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89

@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:

Other than BOTW2, i have never seen you being hyped for anything coming out. Do we even play video games, Mr Sheep? What's your plan for 2022?

I don't really get hyped for anything anymore in such a way that I'd constantly talk about it, and I even tend to wait for discounts.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hardwenzen

@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:

I don't really get hyped for anything anymore in such a way that I'd constantly talk about it, and I even tend to wait for discounts.

Jesus. Weren't you the one telling me that i don't play anything etc etc? I am not the one who lost interest for gaming, Mr.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Techhog89
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:

Jesus. Weren't you the one telling me that i don't play anything etc etc? I am not the one who lost interest for gaming, Mr.

I haven't lost interest; I'm just chill about it and play games as they come. I also replay a lot of older games due to being a bit of an older gamer than most people here.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hardwenzen
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:

I haven't lost interest; I'm just chill about it and play games as they come. I also replay a lot of older games due to being a bit of an older gamer than most people here.

Why would such a mature gamer visit a dead forum called System Wars? There's nothing but bitchin' and moaning in here.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Techhog89
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:

Why would such a mature gamer visit a dead forum called System Wars? There's nothing but bitchin' and moaning in here.

To laugh. Also why I don't come very often.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hardwenzen
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:

I don't know about that, dude. Each time i leave a hard hitting Nintendo related post, you're instantly summoned. Explain yourself.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Techhog89
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:

I don't know about that, dude. Each time i leave a hard hitting Nintendo related post, you're instantly summoned. Explain yourself.

Anyway, I could say some games I'm hyped for, but I don't feel like it.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3741 Posts

Meh. Mech game. Hard pass.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen

@tjandmia said:

Meh. Mech game. Hard pass.

You know who's "meh"? You.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@madsnakehhh: I'll admit I have not played Bloodborne anymore than the first 3 bosses (I am patiently waiting for remaster as I became a FromSoft fan in 2021) but is it really any different than making DS2 and DS3? I'm sure they'll vaguely connect them and produce an excellent Victorian-aged Soulslike masterpiece like the first one.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

@Mozelleple112: Yeah, to be fair you can squeeze any plot from any game as we have seen time and time again ... but i feel Bloodborne is pretty self contained, either they have to make an entirely new story or they would have to go back to the "cycle plot" kind of thing which I don't know, it worked for Dark Souls, but maybe not for a unique setting like Bloodborne.

Either way ... i doubt the main team is working on Armored Core, so let's see what they have in mind after Elden Ring.