Has "The Next Generation" let you down?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RichieTickles
Member since 2014 • 424 Posts

After over 20 years of playing games it surprises me to say I don't care much for the current generation of consoles. I have little reason to choose between the big two as neither have exclusives that drew me in like the PS2/Xbox did over a decade ago. The graphics don't seem like that big a leap like they did from PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3. I'm perfectly happy playing games on the 360/PS3 that I didn't get to play years ago.

So, this supposed next generation of consoles has let me down and failed to make me want to buy them because, really, there are no games to play on them that I don't already have access to.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

No, The Next Generation was probably my favorite Star Trek series.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Wait til after this weekend and reassess your feelings.

This year was basically a hold over til next year as all devs pushed their big games to 2015. 2014 was pretty much a cross-generation and last gen remaster event for current gen consoles because of the cost of development and so few consoles had been sold.

Next year there will be little of anything to look forward to on PS3/360, most everything will move to full current gen console game production because gamers dollars have spoken and they say they want PS4 and xB1 games. In 2015 past gen consoles will all but become obsolete.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

well you know you're expecting a bucket of disappointment ... but when a fully laden truck turns up, it's a bit of a shocker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Not over on the Nintendo side.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

It's a very similar situation to the PS3's first year. Actually it's not even that bad in comparison; each console has at least one decent exclusive.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Very very very happy with both my Xbox One and my WiiU, I've played fantastic games on all my systems this year, loving new gen so much.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I've been in love with my Wii U since I unboxed it. It is such a fantastic little gaming system. Maybe you should try it out. I was disenchanted with this gen too until I grabbed a Wii U. Now I love it. I'm counting down to Captain Toad launch day as we speak. Almost 4 and a half hours left.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

lol, well the TC did mention graphics so...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Not really, there are very few games coming out but it sort of worked out for me because even if they had come out I'd be too busy to play them. They're all conveniently coming out at exactly the time I'll be able to play them, so I don't mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@charizard1605 said:

Graphics was one of the things he mentioned.

And I'm not disappointed at the graphics either, Mario Kart 8 is stunning, and Smash is 1080p/60FPS.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RichieTickles
@charizard1605 said:

I've been thinking the same. I haven't owned a Nintendo "home" console since the N64 and that may change if this lack of games keeps up.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RichieTickles
@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

@charizard1605 said:

Graphics was one of the things he mentioned.

And I'm not disappointed at the graphics either, Mario Kart 8 is stunning, and Smash is 1080p/60FPS.

I only mention graphics because that's always the major selling point to a new console. If I'm gonna have to fork out $400 for a new console, the graphics better it look like I got my money's worth otherwise, if they're only gonna be marginally better, I'll stick with what I got.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

@dxmcat said:

Damn straight.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RichieTickles

@ConanTheStoner said:

@dxmcat said:

Damn straight.

No wonder why the Captain was always "in his ready room"

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

Yes, I'm a little disappointed, first when they were announced, I thought that the consoles would be more powerful and I excepted more interesting exclusive games to be released this year. Not much point in buying a multiplat on a console if you have a gaming pc which will give you a much better experience. At least it seems that some interesting games are on the horizon now. I will probably buy the ps4 and maybe the WiiU in the future, the latter already has some great exclusives that I want to play.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Are you kidding? It's been a HUGE letdown. Especially for Xbox fans. I was expecting 2.5 tflop machines and Sony delivered just 75% of that and MS a dismal 50%. But it ain't just the GPUs, the CPUs are even more pathetic.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

The next generation of consoles are probably not even on paper yet! This is the current generation!

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I think the worst thing is the community for either big console so far this generation, they seem to be far more insecure than ever and appear everwhere on the internet defending their purchase whether its relevent to the original subject or not.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

I was disenchanted with this gen too until I grabbed a Wii U. Now I love it.

Same. There was nothing that really appealed me on either console (there's only so much spunkgargleweewee one can handle before it gets same-y) but when I saw the release of MK8 and then Nintendo's E3... Dayum! Now with the Wii U I guess I can say I have a next gen console and I love it.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The only console I own is the Wii U. I have my PC for multiplats. This gen has started really slow. In terms of the games available on my console of choice, I am disappointed. While the Wii U has lots of great exclusive content, it sorely lacks 3rd party support. If multiplatform games did come to Wii U, I would be inclined to get some of them instead of the PC version. For example, I love playing shooters like Call of Duty with the Wiimote, so I only buy those games on Wii/U.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

No....it's exactly what i wanted it to be.

Same as last gen, but with better graphics and performance, and very little kinect/move support. Perfect!

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#23 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@richietickles said:

After over 20 years of playing games it surprises me to say I don't care much for the current generation of consoles. I have little reason to choose between the big two as neither have exclusives that drew me in like the PS2/Xbox did over a decade ago. The graphics don't seem like that big a leap like they did from PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3. I'm perfectly happy playing games on the 360/PS3 that I didn't get to play years ago.

So, this supposed next generation of consoles has let me down and failed to make me want to buy them because, really, there are no games to play on them that I don't already have access to.

If it wasnt for Nintendo I would not be participating in this gen at all. Im just so tired of all the buggy, broken, rushed to release big name games; and that patching and pre-order buyers are used as an excuse to release games in such a state as things can be fixed later. Not to mention multiplayer being locked behind a paywall is complete ass.

Im sorry, I grew up on when I buy something I expect it to work right out of the box, not whenever the devs decide to patch it. I dont understand how anyone can defend these big publishers. If I had bought Unity I would have returned it the next day due to all the bugs. if I had bought MCC and half the game still didnt work after a week I would have returned it.

Ubisoft has gone to complete shit. EA expects people to keep buying new versions of what they already have with even less content. Etc. I dont get how some of these games could possibly get past a QA team in their released state. Oh right, the up front buyers are the QA testers.

Im fine with only one console this gen. I have a huge backlog with many games on the PS2 I still have yet to finish. I miss the days when games actually worked and there wasnt all this bull shit between me and playing fun games.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

The only thing I can think of that seems to sum up this generations consoles is a "quote" from Henry Ford.

"If I built people what they wanted I would have built them a faster horse". Atleast to that effect; which I think quite easily describes what has happened this generation and why there is an apparent lack of anything new (ignoring the PC platform). Everyone begged the manufactures to make the new consoles mini PCs to then just be a bit quicker than the last generation but also affordable and this is what we are given. 2 consoles that can barely string 1080p at 60fps with the visual fidelity we all expected.

I think the only people to blame are the consumers/gamers who wanted this and pretty much demanded it. Atleast from my memory the best consoles have come from new and boundary pushing machines. The difference between the XboxOne and PS4 is one on some games plays them with slightly better performance that is not noticeable on face value.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

Considering next gen is still in its infancy for Sony and MS...no...I'm not let down because I know the games with come.

Wii U this year has been fire for me though, MK8, Bayonetta 2, SSB: Wii U.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Yea, between the PC, PS3 & older consoles.....I have no reason to look at any of the new consoles.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

I'll let you know after the holidays when I open and play my X1 MCC bunduru.. :P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#28 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Devs haven't taken advantage of the hardware yet. It is just a first year. Of course both consoles are not as powerful as we expected but that doesn't mean that devs can't achieve new experiences on current hardware.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@PAL360 said:

No....it's exactly what i wanted it to be.

Same as last gen, but with better graphics and performance, and very little kinect/move support. Perfect!

Yup. Only thing I shouldn't of bought is a WiiU.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

The alternative interface devices for the Wii U and the Xbox One both failed big time. I'm a fan of alternative interface devices. Looking forward to seeing how VR plays out.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#31  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Well, I'm very pleased with my Wii U so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#32 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Normally In the first year there is something that interest me and I learn about some upcomming game that get me excited but this time around ... nothing. Ialso played some of the big guns for PS4 like Last Of Us and was so disapointed ... I also hate Uncharted and games by EA I avoid them like the plague so yeah ... Then I bought a WiiU and I'm very satisfied. I still have my PS3 because one day Persona 5 will also come out on it and I want to play it but I don't see any reason to buy a PS4 to play that when nothing else grab my attention unlike the WiiU.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

i have very little interest in most of the games. they all come off as meh to me these days.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The first launch year is almost always shit. Come back with this question in another couple years and I'll have an answer for you.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Nah. The video game industry, in some ways, has let me down. Luckily there are still some people 'doing it right'

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@dxmcat said:

Don't just... don't

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I will not let that little shit ruin an entire series for me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

Yes in the sense that where we stand today gen 8 has zero must have games, uprezed reissues are somehow a popular thing, yet add nothing to the quality of the generation on its own and triple A franchises have yet to be "next gen" in terms of game design, and without beating a dead horse, sometimes broken.

If the ps4 xone and wiiu all came out this past November instead of last year no one would've missed a thing. Period.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

It hasn't let me down. I expected it to be underwhelming and it was.

I'm happy that us PC gamers finally got a reason to upgrade though.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

It just started LOL

If you're disappointed, then you have only yourself to blame for buying a PS4 or XBone at launch.

You never buy a console at launch. You let the dumbfucks who just HAVE to have that "new toy" buy the first batch of defective units and play bullshit remasters and Call of Duty/Madden for 12-15 months, and then you swoop in a year or so later when they slash $50-100 off the consoles price tag and the heavy hitting exclusives start to drop.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Just curious, has the 500 post rule been done away with now?

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Somewhat.

I'm a PS gamer, and my PS3 still gets a lot of playtime, but I'm finding absolutely ZERO reasons to purchase a PS4 right now. Most of the big hitters come next year, hopefully. But I could wait.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

i have a wiiu. the console itslef is a bit dissapointing (i got alot more excited for the wii) but its library is getting better. i have no shortage of games to play on it at the moment. it took 18 months of being on the shelf before i picked the wiiu up though.

the PS4 and X1 have been a bit of a non event for me. the launch came and went without much notice (which is odd...usually im very excited for a consoles release and will at least take an interest in it) and i would struggle to pick 5 games on either system that i want and that are exclusive to that system.

on the one hand im actually quite happy with the choices they made hardware wise. sony, especially, got it absolutely spot on. there is no stupid crazy hardware in either console...they are straight forward, developer friendly and reliable and the price is reasonable. last gen was a frickin catastrophe in those departments (the PS3 was a nightmare to work on and both the 360 and PS3 liked to blow themselves up). sure they could always be more powerful but the line has to be drawn somewhere. the only thing that annoys me (and it applies to all consoles this gen) is that the OS is taking up a lot of ram and it seems unnecessary.

but the consoles are also....meh. they're not even bad they're just....meh. where is the hook? where is the draw? at the moment i have 0 excitement for both consoles. its no bother for me to hold out for the inevitable hardware revisions.

it would probably be different if i didnt have a PC in fairness. then i could easy pick 20 games out for the PS4 or X1. but i do so whats the attraction of those consoles? i wait for sonys and MSs response.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

To me, it's a matter of waiting for the exclusive games that I like to hit critical mass. It usually takes two years. One year is too early to make a conclusion about anything.

The WiiU came out in 2012. Yet, it's just starting to ramp up.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Wii U is single handedly making the new generation worth it right now.

I have a PS4, but it will take a little while still for it to come in to its own. It's getting some great stuff next year.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Its probably the best overall series, but Deep Space Nine is my favorite.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

This is the first generation where I haven't run out and bought a console at launch. A year later, I still feel no need to buy one. So yes, very disappointing. Wii U is the only console worth owning if you have a PC. It's not even fair what Nintendo is doing right now, they're clearly the #1 dev. That Zelda Wii U footage yesterday was so incredible.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

So far it has yet to excite me on any level.

But the silver lining is pretty good. I discovered PC gaming. I would not have bothered if this gen was actually good.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

so far, not really