How to properly remake Resident Evil 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Take notes Capcom.

PACING & STORY

Resident Evil 2 is like hot water. At different intervals in the game, different tea bags are put in that make up the different flavors the game possesses. The fear and atmosphere grows over time, until the full flavor comes through in the game's action finish. Things should steep well. Remember that RE2 is largely a mystery game, just as much as it is an action game.

Emphasize struggle. This means creatiing a situation in which the characters are not too strong and the terror at hand seems overwhelming, greatly distressing them. Leon is a rookie cop in the storyline for a reason - the strength of the characters should be downplayed until the end to make it more compelling.

Edit:

Keep it cinematic. RE2's plot was great and the game had a wonderful cinematic feel. Keep this in mind!

GAMEPLAY - CONTROL & CAMERA

There are two options.

The game could be made in the cla$$ic $tyle. It's difficult to get used to at first, but it works. This means artful camera angles that put a lot of atmosphere into the game. This emphasizes the character of the location the player is in. And although its a control scheme that works if you can figure out that you're playing from the character's perspective (which is difficult for some), it would not be accepted well in reviews.

However, its 2009 a control scheme somewhat similar to RE4 would be great if implemented properly. The problem is that RE's original gameplay was heavily based on strategy. Headshots were a matter of chance, and aiming was up, down, or below so that the player could make choices - like shooting the feet to run past, shoot it while it was down, or deal with another zombie. Of course, I am talking about zombies. If you give the player control over headshots you face the problem of making the game more about aiming for a headshot than making ammo count. Which is why an RE4 control scheme should be done to expand upon the previous strategy, but still leave headshots up to chance. Where you shoot the zombie in the leg should count. If you shoot the foot, it's not going to go down, but if you shoot the kneecap you can bring it down quicker. This sort of thing would really emphasize the original gameplay, and expand upon it while remaining fresh and new.

As for the camera angles, 2 options should be available: cla$$ic and new. cla$$ic and new should both switch over to behind-the-back aiming but the camera angle shouldn't be directly behind the player - it should be interesting and still show some of what is behind the player (because this is very important to RE2's gameplay). cla$$ic would simply involve the old camera angles while moving around, while new would follow the player - but in interesting angles as well like 2nd ver. of RE4 (The RE4 we know today is the 4th ver.)

GAMEPLAY - STRUCTURE

Claire and Leon's interaction should increase, but the isolation should still remain - and increase as the player progresses through the game. This means, that both Leon A and Claire B should not have to perform the same puzzles. The system needs to be better worked so that they help each other, and communicate via radio. For every Claire puzzle there should be a Leon puzzle which triggers the radio clearing an alternate path at the same time. If this is a wii remake, at certain intervels in the game there should be solid motion control puzzles that Leon and Claire perform together in the game - no waggle.

Strategy should continue to be emphasized. This means zombies don't drop ammo (unless they're already designated zombies that do so, and when the player solves various puzzles throughout the game the issue of ammunition and enemies should come up. The player should be forced to make choices as to what its going to kill and what it's not. It would be great if the new aiming system could be used to temporarily disable other enemies like shooting the zombies in the leg. There should also be an expansion upon the dodge system of RE3 - but it shouldn't be made so that you can dodge everything. RE2 should remain a thinking game.

Keep it survival horror. RE4 and RE5 are certainly great games and a lot of fun, but a survival horror game would be a great gift to the fans of the series Capcom is currently trying to please with ports and railshooters. The single greatest remake of all time has to be the gamecube REmake, so why not do the same for RE2? It would certainly be very profitable and it would make fans very happy.

Edit: I'm sorry if my view on how cameras should be implemented is difficult to understand. I have the image in my head, but its difficult to put it into words.

Your thoughts? Your ideas?

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

I would just keep everything the same as before but just update the graphics and animation. That's all it's really needed.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hakanakumono

I would just keep everything the same as before but just update the graphics and animation. That's all it's really needed.

kage_53

If they did, I would honestly love it.

But I wanted this thread to address how to pull off an RE4 control scheme without making the game focus entirely around getting headshots instead of conserving your ammo ... as well as a few other things.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Actually puting the classic gameplay plus the RE4 gameplay together wouldn't be a bad idea at all. You could call it Classic mode and New Mode (or anything in the similar). Good thinking.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
You're wrong. Resident Evil 4 style camera, gunplay, gameplay, etc., Leon has the same look as he does in RE4, and just make the game run on the same engine as RE4 did. Put it on the Wii with motion controlled aiming and viola: the best remake of a survival horror game ever.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hakanakumono

Actually puting the classic gameplay plus the RE4 gameplay together wouldn't be a bad idea at all. You could call it Classic mode and New Mode (or anything in the similar). Good thinking.

lebanese_boy

Options would be great.

The most important thing is for the game to utilize anything new it implements as a means of emphasizing the spirit of the original game.

Oh and Capcom, add a factory section ... to the factory area. Like the screens in RE1.5.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
How to properly remake Resident Evil 2: Don't.
iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts

keep it the same but update the graphics

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
i don't see the point in remakes, just buy resident evil 2.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

If they remade the game it would either be an almost direct port or a RE4 style game. I don't think they care enough to do what you're asking, it's just easier for them the other ways. :/

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hakanakumono

You're wrong. Resident Evil 4 style camera, gunplay, gameplay, etc., Leon has the same look as he does in RE4, and just make the game run on the same engine as RE4 did. Put it on the Wii with motion controlled aiming and viola: the best remake of a survival horror game ever.princeofshapeir

Read it more carefully. I did address doing it like RE4 ... without sacrificing the core gameplay.

And making Leon like RE4 wouldn't make any sense. The original RE games emphasized struggle and thats part of what made them great.

I suppose what you want is RE4 made to look like RE2. That wouldn't really be a survival horror game - it'd be more like a slap in the face to fans of the original game.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hakanakumono

If they remade the game it would either be an almost direct port or a RE4 style game. I don't think they care enough to do what you're asking, it's just easier for them the other ways. :/

WasntAvailable

To be completely honest, I doubt they would actually do a good job of remaking RE2 at this point. They're certainly capable - the REmake was amazing. But you're probably right.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]You're wrong. Resident Evil 4 style camera, gunplay, gameplay, etc., Leon has the same look as he does in RE4, and just make the game run on the same engine as RE4 did. Put it on the Wii with motion controlled aiming and viola: the best remake of a survival horror game ever.hakanakumono

Read it more carefully. I did address doing it like RE4 ... without sacrificing the core gameplay.

And making Leon like RE4 wouldn't make any sense. The original RE games emphasized struggle and thats part of what made them great.

I suppose what you want is RE4 made to look like RE2. That wouldn't really be a survival horror game - it'd be more like a slap in the face to fans of the original game.

Hey, I liked Re2 a lot, but I liked RE4 even more. And personally, there's nothing more satisfying than shooting those damn zombies in the head point-blank and actually having the freedom to do that at ease. It took Capcom years to realize that Resident Evil worked best as an action game, and I think they should remake all of their past "classics" with modern gameplay that would appeal to a wider audience rather than the select few hardcore fans who want to have to struggle for searching for ammo and ink ribbons, and getting killed by annoying dogs in prison cells over and over again. Headshots and kickass gunplay > Cheap scares and wonky controls and camera for me.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]You're wrong. Resident Evil 4 style camera, gunplay, gameplay, etc., Leon has the same look as he does in RE4, and just make the game run on the same engine as RE4 did. Put it on the Wii with motion controlled aiming and viola: the best remake of a survival horror game ever.princeofshapeir

Hey, I liked Re2 a lot, but I liked RE4 even more. And personally, there's nothing more satisfying than shooting those damn zombies in the head point-blank and actually having the freedom to do that at ease. It took Capcom years to realize that Resident Evil worked best as an action game, and I think they should remake all of their past "classics" with modern gameplay that would appeal to a wider audience rather than the select few hardcore fans who want to have to struggle for searching for ammo and ink ribbons, and getting killed by annoying dogs in prison cells over and over again. Headshots and kickass gunplay > Cheap scares and wonky controls and camera for me.

I actually like survival horror, believe it or not. The controls aren't that bad and the camera angles added a nice touch to the game (it didn't really matter on autoaim).

I mean, I can understand that the new style is fun and all - but there will always be new RE4 style RE games. There will never be another classic style RE games, which DO have their own merit (I personally love the cla$$ic style). So why not give fans of the cla$$ic style something to enjoy?

GTR_FX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GTR_FX
Member since 2009 • 1121 Posts

I agree 100%

I cannot understand capcoms reasoning behinfd this

they chose to do the remake with horrible railshooter gameplay that no body liked, rather than just easily make RE2 with RE4 graphics and gameplay that would make the game great

heck if RE4 wii edition which was just a rehash with wii control could get AAA then RE2 would do even better

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

[QUOTE="kage_53"]

hakanakumono

But I wanted this thread to address how to pull off an RE4 control scheme without making the game focus entirely around getting headshots instead of conserving your ammo ... as well as a few other things.

That can't be done unless the gameplay mechanics completely change. You would have one side that would complain about it being like RE4-5 while the other side will complain about it being like RE-Code Veronica. A lot of people hate RE5's control scheme too despite the fact it's like RE4's..

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="kage_53"]

kage_53

That can't be done unless the gameplay mechanics completely change. You would have one side that would complain about it being like RE4-5 while the other side will complain about it being like RE-Code Veronica. A lot of people hate RE5's control scheme too despite the fact it's like RE4's..

I understand that the gameplay mechanics are at stake, but I think I presented a way of doing it without ruining it.

But then again idk.

In the end though, I'm always going to prefer the original style. Because of the polarization between fans I tried to think of a compromise that could work for both sides.

Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts
They don't need to remake it and lets hope that day never comes.
edeasknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edeasknight
Member since 2004 • 1222 Posts

I actually thought that RE4 and 5 did a pretty good job of making it actually less effective to go for the headshot most times, much like actually killing zombies in the old RE games was rarely necessary to bypass them. In 4 and 5, with the trash zombies at least, simply shooting them to stun them with a bullet and then melee attacking and knocking down a whole group of them is much better than headshotting them all in turn, which can take several handgun bullets, and then take several more handgun bullets when the parasite pops out. It isnt immediately noticable since ammo isnt exactly sparse, but if it was, alot of people would be pretty lost if they kept going for headshots all the time.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
IF IF IF they made a RE2 and 3 remake like they did the first. It would be a first day buy. But they won't, the producer said he was done with remakes after the first.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

You're wrong. Resident Evil 4 style camera, gunplay, gameplay, etc., Leon has the same look as he does in RE4, and just make the game run on the same engine as RE4 did. Put it on the Wii with motion controlled aiming and viola: the best remake of a survival horror game ever.princeofshapeir

erm no... there was no survival horror in RE4

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

TC I appreciate your effort in the first post, quite interesting vision you have there.

fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

The most depressing screenshot ever oh what could of been

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hakanakumono

They don't need to remake it and lets hope that day never comes.Synthetic_NinJI

Perfect in it's original form? I can understand that.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hakanakumono

I actually thought that RE4 and 5 did a pretty good job of making it actually less effective to go for the headshot most times, much like actually killing zombies in the old RE games was rarely necessary to bypass them. In 4 and 5, with the trash zombies at least, simply shooting them to stun them with a bullet and then melee attacking and knocking down a whole group of them is much better than headshotting them all in turn, which can take several handgun bullets, and then take several more handgun bullets when the parasite pops out. It isnt immediately noticable since ammo isnt exactly sparse, but if it was, alot of people would be pretty lost if they kept going for headshots all the time.

edeasknight

The difference is really the environments and how the player progressed. In previous RE games the player progressed primarily by solving puzzles, while the RE4 (can't vouch for 5) progress the game primarily through taking down enemies. It's much more beneficial in the new RE games to kill all enemies.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
turn everything into re4 (graphics, game play, camera). keep the puzzles there and u have a great remake to the game.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hakanakumono

The most depressing screenshot ever oh what could of been

fugwit

I think the vibrant colors in the original were a little more vibrant, but yeah. It's a waste.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hakanakumono

IF IF IF they made a RE2 and 3 remake like they did the first. It would be a first day buy. But they won't, the producer said he was done with remakes after the first.caseypayne69

Did he really? :(

johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
looove this topic, but yea just update the graphics but keep everything the same, gameplay, controls, specially camera!!! some people gets motion sickness like me
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#30 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

put it on wii ,

wii motion controls ,

or classic controller if you choose like re4

update graphics to re4 standards

add game modes,

i dont think ps3 or 360 needs it, they got re5 , , wii dont ,

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

knowing capcom, if they remade RE2, they would put in 50x more zombies, infinite ammo,co op, and take out all of the puzzles..

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hakanakumono

knowing capcom, if they remade RE2, they would put in 50x more zombies, infinite ammo,co op, and take out all of the puzzles..

Sword-Demon

This is sad but true.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I wouldn't mind a RE 2 remake - without backtracking and the lame puzzles. And I agree, since Leon is a rookie, he should be less stronger and agile. They should also add an adrenaline meter - if he can't get a grip on his nerves, his hands start to shake and the aiming becomes harder or when he's running he trips and falls. And the more experienced he gets to these kind of situations, the stronger he becomes. His adrenaline reactions are much more controlled and precise.

This will actually be better implemented for the Wii. They should also get rid of the Ink Ribbon save system and replace it with RE 4's type. And the item box must go. Also if they can, add vehicles. Just for the fear factor. Something like 28 Days Later. Also more interactivity - like using anything around the environment as a weapon.

But this is just a fanboy's wishes :(