Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2467 Posts

For starters, I would probably take the rail grinding out. Sonic Adventure 2 had too many. Make it more about steering the hedgehog. Their whole design philosophy with 3D Sonic has been to reduce player input, because they never figured out how he should move. That's why all the rail grinding is there, why the homing attack is there and why he starts steering on his own after you run into narrow paths or loops. Would be as if in a driving game the car suddenly goes into auto-control and you can't disengage until the next section of the track. Playing Sonic in 3D should be kind of like steering a sports car once you go fast enough, jumps influenced by acceleration/momentum. The automation just looks cool, but is not fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

You get rid of Team Sonic, and change Sega to a good company.

Sonic Mania already showed them up, but Sega was more than happy to run back to dogshit.

Probably instantly de-list Sonic Generations as well I'm guessing in a cynical attempt to funnel people to this.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

Do an “Old Yeller” on him.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

With a shotgun.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Probably just dont and stick to 2D. Nintendo able to get away with rehashing mario for 40-50 years now surely Sega can learn something from it.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 650 Posts

That game looks like a solid 6

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1258 Posts

I havent played it, but Spark the electric jester 3 has good reviews on steam so maybe sega can hire that dev team.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

Microsoft buy SEGA to fix it - they can give money to build a good team and for Game Pass to bring to all players will boost the game.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

@thatforumuser said:

Microsoft buy SEGA to fix it - they can give money to build a good team and for Game Pass to bring to all players will boost the game.

This have to be a joke post.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

I wouldn’t. Sonic was conceived as a 2D experience, that’s where it should remain.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19627 Posts

Translate the experience of classic 2D Sonic into 3D:

• Get rid of the boost physics and instead translate the momentum physics of 2D Sonic into 3D.
  • Levels should have some non-linearity and allow different pathways through levels, like 2D Sonic.
  • There should be more verticality to the level exploration, again like 2D Sonic.

When Sonic Team went 3D, they abandoned some of these core game design elements and "flanderized" Sonic into being all about speed. Bring back some of the core game design elements of classic 2D Sonic and translate them to 3D. That's basically what Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild: they went back to the original NES Zelda and translated that experience into 3D. Sega needs to do the same with Sonic.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Play Project 06 and you can see that a single developer can make the games basically playable and “fun.” There are many different interpretations for how Sonic should play.

Some prefer Adventure style, some prefer “boost” style. Some would prefer something that “feels” like the old school ones (maybe 2.5D or a whole new style altogether.

Any one of these styles can be made in a way that is fun and high quality. Sonic Team just keeps looking for and regurgitating a magic bullet. They hated how successful Mania was and that team really wasn’t able to develop anything new ever again.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Do an “Old Yeller” on him.

I lol'd

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Try changing the mechanic a bit so that you speed up to a point and then everything else around you slows down so that you can maintain full control. Otherwise things just get a bit silly.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2467 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Try changing the mechanic a bit so that you speed up to a point and then everything else around you slows down so that you can maintain full control. Otherwise things just get a bit silly.

You might have something there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

This is fixed Sonic.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6404 Posts

Lotta Sega haters up in here. Sonic Frontiers is a good game, Sega has something to build upon.. Maybe you guys should try it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

@last_lap: I haven't played Frontiers yet, so maybe.

But I thought the Sonic/Shadow levels in Sonic Adventure 2 got it mostly right. SA2 is a fair amount slower than the other 3D games, but still feels fast. It hit the right balance were there was a good sense of speed, but you still had contol over Sonic. Every game since has tried kick it up a notch, but in doing so had to take away player control more often. I think SA2 mechanics with bigger, more interesting levels, and no side characters would be cool.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Last_Lap

@judaspete: With what you said, you should definitely play Frontiers. It's just Sonic with no other side characters, big open islands, that you need to explore to unlock fully.

A new style of combat which does take getting used to, but it won't take to long.

The game gives you almost full control of Sonic, it does have the rails stuff, but that's about it. When I last played it a month within launch the pop in wasn't good, but the game has had many updates since then on its performance, so it should be better.

And you can get it cheap, so not much to lose.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

@last_lap: Thanks, I'll check it out, eventually. Backlog is big, and free time is short.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd love for Sega to hire Nintendo's main team who makes the mainline Mario games to make a Sonic 3d game. It would be interesting on what Nintendo would produce. If Nintendo was to do that then, that Sonic game would have to be exclusive to their platform.

Other than that, for me, there's too many Sonic games where he's just too fast so, I'd like for Sega to slow him down and have certain moments where he's really fast. As a result, this will allow a more slower pace platforming and, maybe have more variety in Sonic's move set and have some more powerups.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Last_Lap

@BIOKILLER123 said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd love for Sega to hire Nintendo's main team who makes the mainline Mario games to make a Sonic 3d game. It would be interesting on what Nintendo would produce. If Nintendo was to do that then, that Sonic game would have to be exclusive to their platform.

Other than that, for me, there's too many Sonic games where he's just too fast so, I'd like for Sega to slow him down and have certain moments where he's really fast. As a result, this will allow a more slower pace platforming and, maybe have more variety in Sonic's move set and have some more powerups.

Mario sucks arse though, why would you want a slow boring game like Mario is beyond me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts

You swiftly disband team sonic and place talented Devs onto new ips stat

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Only thing their games have needed is polish time and better voice acting.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

@last_lap said:
@BIOKILLER123 said:

Mario sucks arse though, why would you want a slow boring game like Mario is beyond me.

Cool. The general consensus will disagree and Nintendo are probably the masters of platforming games.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Last_Lap

@BIOKILLER123: Yeah, slow and boring platformers.