Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

From Eurogamer

Mario Kart 9 in active development, industry consultant says • Eurogamer.net

'Mario Kart 9 is now in "active development" within Nintendo, according to Tokyo-based industry consultant Dr. Serkan Toto.

The continued sales success of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had left many fans wondering if Nintendo was still planning an all-new Mario Kart for Nintendo Switch - or whether the platform would just be left with its hugely-popular Wii U port.

Writing on GamesIndustry.biz, Toto said Mario Kart 9 would include "a new twist" and could be ready to be shown this year.

Previous gimmicks in Mario Kart games have included dual racers (Double Dash!!), the introduction of motion controls (MK Wii), plus gliding (MK7) and anti-gravity sections (MK8).

Last year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe officially overtook Mario Kart Wii to become the best-selling game in the series, with a whopping 38.74m copies shifted.

And then, it carried on selling. Over 2021's Black Friday weekend, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe was the best-selling boxed game in the UK, thanks to its inclusion in Nintendo Switch hardware bundles.'

-

Wonder what the twist is this time!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hey, I'm interested. I love me some MK - although tbh I don't play it much any more but I reckon I'd probably wind up with 9

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45494 Posts

They will add cinematics and other movie game type features 🤩

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70414 Posts

Mario Kart 9 <---- 9. 😐

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

They will add cinematics and other movie game type features 🤩

Gritty reboot, give Mario a beard and a son.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16606 Posts

I'd like them to build more and different maps. Mario kart 8 really has some of the best maps in the series. I was one of those who bought the game on wii u, but it feels like they added stuff to the switch version.

I'm not expecting this to launch until the start of the next nintendo system, so around 2 more years.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44553 Posts

Excellent but also something that I very much assumed. While Nintendo are surely in no rush to release Mario Kart 9 I’m certain that they’ll want to be absolutely ready to launch it when they feel the time is right. This is no doubt the reason why no dlc has been made for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Save all that stuff for the next game. Always love me some Mario Kart so definitely amped to see a new one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Mario Kart Double Dash 2 please

The roster of possible characters is so large, we need two on a kart.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

MKBR confirmed

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7288 Posts

Just give me another diddy kong racing.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17879 Posts

Surely this will be for the switch 2. It's usually a 1 per system game. Still if they have some interesting ideas that they can pull off on the switch then neat. I suspect it would be more of a seller (and system seller) on a switch 2 at, or close to, its launch though.

I got Mario Kart 8 for the wiiu so never bothered with the switch version. So a mario kart 9 would be of some interest (though i would have more interest in it for a switch 2 at launch). MK8 was great though.

As for the new twist....maybe you play as the weapons this time :P. A track editor would also be great (fat chance of that though).

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16606 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

wow, that takes me back lol

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50670 Posts

What year is this for Switch on the market?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56418 Posts

Do we need a new Mario Kart right now? Is MK8 outdated in any way? I think not, I think adding more DLC tracks would be good enough cause Nintendo needs to invest more of it's game that deserve a second chance. Looking at you Star Fox.

@robert_sparkes said:

Better go ask Rare for another Diddy Kong Racing but the fact MS now owns Rare, the chances of getting a new game is very, very slim. Heck, MS could just tell Rare to make a new game without using Diddy Kong itself.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34778 Posts

Double Dash was super fun in that you had two dudes per kart which you could switch between. It gave Mario Kart a new layer of strategy that I really enjoyed. The characters also had their own special items that were really fun to use. More of that shit would be awesome.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39714 Posts

One 3d mario, zero mario karts, zero zeldas and one 2d metroid. From all these years the Switch has been on sale, this is what you've gotten. Let that sink in.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

No surprise there. A new Mario Kart is definitely being developed and will most likely release on the Switch's successor.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44686 Posts

The mystery twist? I'm guessing an arm twist. They'll add Pokémon but break game up, same maps, but one version has a good guy roster (Yoshi, Mario, Donkey Kong, Toad, etc) and the other a bad guy roster (Bowser, Gumba, Wario, etc), each marketed as a stand alone $60 title but wait if you pre-order the deluxe limited edition for $100 then you can get both, as well as limited edition coloring book and limited edition Crayola crayon set with colors like Peach Pink, Rosalina Blue, Yoshi Green, and more. And I'll probably buy it because I am a filthy plebeian consumer whore.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#19 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49593 Posts

My wife and I love playing MK since it's a ton of fun with friends/family, so I highly welcome yet another sequel.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3498 Posts

It better be competitive like Mario Kart Wii was.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45494 Posts

Pretty amazing how Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014.

Bluudynuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bluudynuckles
Member since 2015 • 157 Posts

38 mill sold smh . we must of bought our kids each a copy . ok mario kart is a silly kiddie racer .. add dlc for free cause njntendo is milking this

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Day one, can't help myself.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

They need to add the Mario Rabbids to Mario Kart.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19682 Posts

@bluudynuckles: Almost 50M including the Wii U version.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 madsnakehhh  Online
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Mario Kart 8 is actually a great game and arguably the best Mario Kart so i'm not surprised is selling so well, im betting Mario Kart 9 will include more "guests" characters and maybe the long awaited return of Captain Falcon himself.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@gym_lion said:

From Eurogamer

'Mario Kart 9 is now in "active development" within Nintendo, according to Tokyo-based industry consultant Dr. Serkan Toto.

The continued sales success of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had left many fans wondering if Nintendo was still planning an all-new Mario Kart for Nintendo Switch - or whether the platform would just be left with its hugely-popular Wii U port.

Writing on GamesIndustry.biz, Toto said Mario Kart 9 would include "a new twist" and could be ready to be shown this year.

Previous gimmicks in Mario Kart games have included dual racers (Double Dash!!), the introduction of motion controls (MK Wii), plus gliding (MK7) and anti-gravity sections (MK8).

Last year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe officially overtook Mario Kart Wii to become the best-selling game in the series, with a whopping 38.74m copies shifted.

And then, it carried on selling. Over 2021's Black Friday weekend, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe was the best-selling boxed game in the UK, thanks to its inclusion in Nintendo Switch hardware bundles.'

-

They should make it an open world Mario Kart like Forza Horizon. They should have different go carts to upgrade and purchase with money from winning races.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts

New twist: Mature rating with Mortal Kombat level of gore.

Would be hilarious!

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@Pedro said:

Mario Kart 9 <---- 9. 😐

9 games in 30 years is too much?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

The Nintendo haters are going to be salty over this.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

I like the idea that Mario Kart Tour for mobile uses real cities like New York, London, Paris and Tokyo for its courses. I would like MK9 to include those courses as well.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@Xplode_games said:
@gym_lion said:

From Eurogamer

-

They should make it an open world Mario Kart like Forza Horizon. They should have different go carts to upgrade and purchase with money from winning races.

This is the worst idea I have ever seen. Congratulations!

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@techhog89 said:
@Xplode_games said:
@gym_lion said:

From Eurogamer

-

This is the worst idea I have ever seen. Congratulations!

It's a great idea. They can make it an adventure open world racing game with Forza Horizon and Diddy Kong Racing as inspirations.

Your ideas are garbage as usual. Mine would actual move the franchise forward to a must have revolution over it's stale Mario Kart roots.