deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

"Twitch’s offer to keep Blevins, sources said, topped out at around $15 million per year for three years. Mixer and Facebook offered him more, with Mixer upping the ante to something in the neighborhood of $20 million per year. Mixer also offered other incentives like channel subscriptions fans could redeem for free for one month, as well as promotional placement opportunities on the site."

Dude has around 10K viewers at any given time, which is like 70K fewer than he would get on Twitch. (lol Mixer) And Ninja still plays Fortnite more than anything. He bounced off Gears and Halo Reach withing days...This can't be a good use of $60 million over the contract. What is the Xbox division doing?!?!?!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I have watched as many twitch streams as I have watched Mixer streams.

Which is zero.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

$20 million to disappear is not a bad deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Thats a nice bankroll Microsoft spending that cash money

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@R4gn4r0k: It’s a great deal for Ninja. He’s probably making the same amount of cash with 70,000 fewer viewers a day. He still plays Fortnite with his Twitch streamer buddies too. It’s just crazy how little Ninja moved the needle as far a Mixer viewers go. Ninja is under 10,000 viewers right now. The second highest isn’t even close to him. The #2 Fortnite streamer is in the 300 range.

This deal has been a disaster for Xbox. I wonder what they’re paying Shroud.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20239 Posts

Oh MS. When are you going to learn that throwing money around doesn't always make a product good?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#7  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17906 Posts

I don't care to watch him myself, but good for him. I sometimes put a stream on my second monitor, but I don't watch anybody regularly or just straight up watch streams for entertainment. I know this shit appeals to the young kids a lot, but I would rather spend my time playing than watching others play.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

That's chump change. They lose that kind of money in Xbox discounts every week.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

They're definitely trying to drive Mixer. I don't watch any streamers, but I doubt one person is worth that, unless he brings in droves.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70400 Posts

@goldenelementxl: Its not like MS can't afford the loss even if its a bad deal for them. I don't feel bad for multi-billion dollar corporations bleeding money.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Which is zero.

You too? I could not pick the person in question out of a line-up even if you offered me money. Watching people play a game is not what I call interesting.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Mixer has a long way to go but overall the base is pretty strong. Twitch was pretty stagnant until Mixer raised the bar with how it views content creators/streamers. The Game Sharing via mixer is nice, hopefully it gets expanded along with more features so viewers/streamers can interact more.

The reach Ninja and Shroud have on Social Media outside of Mixer is pretty big, regardless of what they pull on mixer.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39695 Posts

I wonder if he is allowed to go back to Twitch when his contract with Mixer is over.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Which is zero.

Smart man.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

Just like professional athletes, news anchors, and film actors, I never understand why someone like Ninja deserves to earn millions of dollars a year while most people can only dream they can earn that much money.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Wtf is a twitch steamer? Not really. But kinda...

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9563 Posts

Yikes. Why not pay some devs with that?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

Maybe I am being dense, but I just don't see how a person who plays video games for publicity warrants a 20-million dollar contract.

Even factoring in ad potential, publicity, and so on....how? How do you arrive at 20 million dollars?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Yikes. Why not pay some devs with that?

Exactly. Especially when that $20mil is getting 10K kids to watch Ninja pay a 3rd party game. What's the benefit?!?!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44542 Posts

That’s a whole lotta cheddar.

I like the Mixer platform but the only streamer that I enjoy watching with any regularity is Maximilian Dood and he’s a Twitch streamer. He plays the kind of games that I enjoy like fighting games, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, etc. I also find him more informative and entertaining in general. I tried watching some Ninja on Mixer but he just didn’t click with me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@Solaryellow: Same here. I'm interested in watching previews, reviews, first impressions, information dumps or gaming documentaries (GVMERS, noclip, ahoy).

But just watching some other bloke/gal play a game when I could spend that time playing games myself? That sounds more boring to me than watching paint dry.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

If true then MS are dumbarses just like the people who watch people play their hobby.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59323 Posts

Good for him I guess, getting payed millions to not work, dude living the dream.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8508 Posts

I could never understand what's the draw of platforms like Twitch and Mixer. Is it odd that I haven't even visited their sites/apps whatsoever let alone watch one. How is it different from YT?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

I must admit that I never watched any of those streamers myself and have no clue why kids these days rather watch people play instead of playing them self... that being said I wish someone would pay me 20 Mio to play games:/

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Twitch streamer is a person that streams the games he plays so other people can watch and join. U can these days also do other things like visit places and talk to people about your journeys or discussions about politics or other stuff.

It's big business for a lot of people, it's basically a more direct youtube where people are closer towards the people that make the content. They are the new kids tv channels. basically.

If you go towards any school they will known most of the populaire youtubers and twitch streamers. ninja was particulaire big with youth that entire schools even here where doing his dances and watching his stream on any media.

However those are the outliers.

People watch it for multiple reasons.

1) They wanna see speedrunners speedrun live to see how they do it, which created in gdq a event that raises every year multiple millions but at the end got infiltrated by SJW's and kinda became a social justice shit hole.

2) They wanna see high skilled players play video games that they often couldn't themselves to see they compete in higher leagues like league of legends ( console gamers wouldn't know this because online gaming other then cod isn't much a thing there ), its massive.

3) back in the day when MMO's where massive, people wanted to see builds and other stuff and see people live how they fought in arena's against other people. To see what they should do and learn how to play really. That's how streaming kinda started. U could ask live questions and they would showcase u how it works without delay of making youtube video's.

4) U are closer towards a famous person u like then on youtube or other media at the time. Lots of kids see youtubers as there new super stars like we saw popstars with music it just shifted.

5) Lots of people watch games that are planning to buy the game or want to first know what the game is without the bullshit of youtube reviews and opinions just pure gameplay.

I get lots of people asking me questions when i stream about the game, which version to buy if there is a better game or another game like that. U are the go to person to inform people and it gives you something to do besides playing the game.

6) Makes every game social, even single player games that would otherwise be just straight up a death enviroment like assassin creed odyssey. Now people join and interact and talk about the game. I like that and many other people do.

7) U can do races against eachother which makes even non multiplayer games multiplayer.

8) U can make as streamer good money with it if u do it right, that pays for your entire hobby or even more.

9) It can get you recruited into a E sports team that basically are the modern sports of the youth, that makes you big bucks. And is interesting because of it.

10) It's interesting to see how people play the game or maybe play the game different then you do.

Ninja was massive but already started to die down on twitch with 10k viewers at the end, so the move for him made complete sense. However ninja was good in creating himself as brand, he was well spoken, knew what to say and what not to say. And the most famous streamer on the planet with that. He was the perfect spokesman for streaming community's.

Getting him was a no brainer for any streaming platform. It was also a no brainer for that guy to cash in 20m a year without any effort.

As twitch is growing massively and already makes over a billion from donations and commercials which is going to jump up next year by 30%, it makes sense to drop some good cash on the people that make that platform.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

It got him off twitch and on mixer. Guess that's the price MS thought was worth it to make that happen. And let's be real, that kind of money is nothing for MS. Might be worth it for them in the long run. They needed a boost for mixer, and that's what they got.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

What baffles me even more then people just watching others play games are the ones who donate money or gifts to the streamers?!? Why?!?

I've only been on twitch a few times, when it was part of the ps4s UI back in 2014 ish, and just couldnt wrap my head around why anyone would ever want to watch some tool play games I could just play myself? I will get on YouTube and watch a playthrough if I'm lost in a game or can't find a secret or something but that's about it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:

Good for him I guess, getting payed millions to not work, dude living the dream.

I'd saying being forced to play one game, or at least play what your audience wants you to play, is worse than playing games as a hobby.

Well, unless you really, really like playing one game day in day out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59323 Posts

@vfighter said:

What baffles me even more then people just watching others play games are the ones who donate money or gifts to the streamers?!? Why?!?

I guess alot of them are kids and lonely weirdos. Being a cute boy or girl automatically puts you as god status on the internet, booby-streamers is now practically a meta-industry in it's own right.

Get alot of pop-culture shit, put it in background, act unrealistically enthusiastic like you're in the fucking Brady Bunch, wala, dumbasses at your kneel.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

People watching people play games. Humanity has gone full rtard.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I'd saying being forced to play one game, or at least play what your audience wants you to play, is worse than playing games as a hobby.

Well, unless you really, really like playing one game day in day out.

I'd play Atari 2600 all day for 20 Million. I already spend 8 hours a day doing what other people want me to do for a hell of a lot less than that.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@saltslasher: Microsoft made another flop investment. Deal with it crybaby

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 X_CAPCOM_X

@i_p_daily: people watch others do anything that they enjoy, even *talking.* It absolutely does not make people "dumbasses" or whatever. One can easily see MS's motivation behind doing this, to keep a very popular streamer on board. The only actual issue is the amount of money, which could pay developers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@i_p_daily: people watch others do anything that they enjoy, even *talking.* It absolutely does not make people "dumbasses" or whatever. One can easily see MS's motivation behind doing this, to keep a very popular streamer on board. The only actual issue is the amount of money, which could pay developers.

If you watch someone else playing your hobby when you can do it yourself, then you are a dumbarse.

At least you got one part right and that's the money should of went to a dev to make a game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#38 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70400 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:

People watching people play games. Humanity has gone full rtard.

You mean the centuries of humans watching other humans play sports games didn't bother you until humans started watching humans play video games?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44542 Posts

I always find it quite interesting to see how some people boil things down right to its barebones when they may not particularly care for that thing. For me watching a streamer isn’t something I do to simply watch someone play a game, it’s something I do to supplement my gaming in general overall. I’ll watch it when I am playing a game or if I can’t game at that particular time and want something to do at that moment. It’s also not just simply watching someone play a game it’s also interacting and sharing experiences with those watching as well along with the streamer themselves. It’s really no different then hanging out on a forum discussing games and gaming and it’s also much more enjoyable because you have both audio and visual interactions too.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X

@i_p_daily: so the vast majority of people who watch sports, music or any recreational activity being performed professionally are all dumbasses. Got it. Thanks for reminding us why no one should take you seriously on this board.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And here's me, a schlub, working hard for my measly $70,000 CAD/year when I could be gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@i_p_daily: so the vast majority of people who watch sports, music or any recreational activity being performed professionally are all dumbasses. Got it. Thanks for reminding us why no one should take you seriously on this board.

So you want to compare people watching sports/music etc to somebody playing a videogame while be filmed, its you who shouldn't be taken seriously.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12067 Posts

Good for Ninja.

I don’t watch video game streamers so I really don’t care about this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@kuu2 said:

Good for Ninja.

I don’t watch video game streamers so I really don’t care about this.

Good for Ninja, bad for us as that money could of developed a couple of games per year that would have been good for us.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56406 Posts

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

60 mil for a 3 yr contract? I would sooner try and fund a game that streamers will want to publicize freely than throw it down the pocket of another flavor-of-the-month streamer.