Motion Controls helping RTS' on Consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I posted something like this earlier in another thread, but I thought it'd spark an interesting conversation. Something that's really held back RTS' on consoles is the controller, it's just not designed for RTS'. Kinect and Move on the other hand would be perfect for RTS', you could simply point to select a unit (some sort of mouse or small dot could be on the screen when it detects you poitning forward, and there'd be hand movements for selecting a unit or multiple units) and then select a spot on the map to send the units, or maybe make them attack, etc. and you can easily move between armies (groups of select units) by swiping your hand to the right or left. This allows you to really feel "in control" and would be kind of fun to do. It'd really be "thinking on your feet" so what do you all think? Would this really work well with RTS'? Or am I just crazy? May the discussing, begin!

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Contrary to popular console player beleif, RTS's are more then; Select army, click on bad people, WIN!

I can't see motion controls helping that much.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

No the mouse is perfect for RTS still. Which I would rather do. Plug in a mouse and kb into the console. But "consolized" haven't gone that far, the hermits cheer thankfully. Image if the masses played RTS games on consoles. What would that do to PC games? haha

Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

Contrary to popular console player beleif, RTS's are more then; Select army, click on bad people, WIN!

agpickle

That's what it's about when you're as bad at RTS's like I am.

But like other's have said, there are actually a lot of things that would still break the RTS idea. Pointing and clicking are what bad RTS players do, all the hotkeys to quickly select buildings and units is what the good RTS players do, there's also more things but like I said, I suck at RTS games.

By the way, welcome to the boards LuringSpectacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

agpickle

Of course it's not just that, there are hotkeys and many strategies involved. Move has buttons so hotkeys can be used as the buttons, and for Kinect you could assign hotkeys to specific motions. It'd at least be a lot more intuitive and engaging (especially for people who don't like clicking with a mouse, so maybe more sales?) and is a good alternative to a controller.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
how about errr... i dunno... a keyboard and mouse... -.- which consoles support... much better then motion crap
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I know..... I'l scream "Unit X move 5 Miles North and Attack Enemy Base C" blah blah blah...Hotkeys can be assigned to voice? As for me; I'll stick to my Keyboard and Mouse =D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

how about errr... i dunno... a keyboard and mouse... -.- which consoles support... much better then motion crapcampzor

If that was the answer then people would have no problem with RTS' on consoles and using kb/m with a PS3/360 would be a normal thing. Also, I'm pretty sure PS3 has kb/m support, not the 360.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

I know..... I'l scream "Unit X move 5 Miles North and Attack Enemy Base C" blah blah blah...Hotkeys can be assigned to voice? As for me; I'll stick to my Keyboard and Mouse =DShadowDeathX

You don't need voice, just select a unit, select hotkey, and then press record, do whatever motion you want (like waving your hands in the air) then just press stop record. Ta da! You just recorded a hotckey! Achievement unlocked :P

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It would be much better to give an option for using a mouse and keyboard. If there was online play, the people using controllers would lose basically every time they played against somebody using a keyboard though.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Why don't they just add proper m/kb support for consoles? = /
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]how about errr... i dunno... a keyboard and mouse... -.- which consoles support... much better then motion crapXVision84

If that was the answer then people would have no problem with RTS' on consoles and using kb/m with a PS3/360 would be a normal thing. Also, I'm pretty sure PS3 has kb/m support, not the 360.

i wouldnt have a problem with rts on consoles as i have a keyboard and mouse for my ps3... the problem is they design rts on consoles differently to pc rts with the stupid controller layout/way of playing it
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The ps3 supports m/kb, the games need to be programmed for it. I'm sure the 360 could do the same, if it doesn't already.

The thing most holding the genre back is publishers not believing the genre is in demand on consoles.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

How about hotkeys ?LuringSpectacle

This.

I doubt a person using motion controls can even beat a person with 50-100 APM.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Contrary to what many epople thing, the biggest obstacles RTS face on consoles aren't controls, it's audience. There hav e been many RTS titles that controled well on a pad, but console games just aren't intereted in them. And motion controls aren't changing that. Those games simply don't sell enough on consoles to warrant most publishers taking a chance at them.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
If anyone enjoys RTS games or strategy the likelyhood is they are playing on the PC already. The genre on a whole doesn't do well on consoles, not much of an audience at all.
TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts

what they should do is enable the use of K\M on the consoles for the RTS , and that wouldn't work because u still need hotkeys

EddieTheHead84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EddieTheHead84
Member since 2011 • 2131 Posts

The best RTS ever IMO, Age of Empires 2, had a decent console version on PS2.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The best RTS ever IMO, Age of Empires 2, had a decent console version on PS2.

EddieTheHead84

And it supported both mouse and KB, but it still sold like crap.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
one word "Hotkeys" you wanna create a group of tanks on supreme commander? select as many tanks you want hit ctrl+1 and you created a group
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#23 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Motion controls can only take it so far... With precision, RTS also need a fair amount of direct proper input. I think it is just up to developers to do their job and start new console conventions in 'real time strategy': a concept being thinking and undertaking a plan of action--a strategy--beforehand. Say something like Pikmin and it works. Consoles trying to tackle RTS conventions that are continuously developing on the PC will only stumble in its transition, because by design, it 'naturally' doesnt work.
gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

I posted something like this earlier in another thread, but I thought it'd spark an interesting conversation. Something that's really held back RTS' on consoles is the controller, it's just not designed for RTS'. Kinect and Move on the other hand would be perfect for RTS', you could simply point to select a unit (some sort of mouse or small dot could be on the screen when it detects you poitning forward, and there'd be hand movements for selecting a unit or multiple units) and then select a spot on the map to send the units, or maybe make them attack, etc. and you can easily move between armies (groups of select units) by swiping your hand to the right or left. This allows you to really feel "in control" and would be kind of fun to do. It'd really be "thinking on your feet" so what do you all think? Would this really work well with RTS'? Or am I just crazy? May the discussing, begin!

XVision84

I think you make a good point. Even tough they're is a lot more that pointing and clicking, the Move would help in quickly moving troops around in an effective manner. I'd definitely use the Move for that.